Cozy Mysteries discussion

Featured Cozy Authors > Featured Author - June 2012 - Nancy Pickard

Comments Showing 1-34 of 34 (34 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by ஐ Briansgirl (Book Queen)ஐ, Cozy Mysteries Group Owner (new)

ஐ Briansgirl (Book Queen)ஐ (briansgirlkate) | 1576 comments Mod
Our featured author for June is Nancy Pickard. Her official website is: http://www.nancypickard.com/

The following booklist came off her website (with goodreads links added):

Read about The Non-Series Novels
The Scent of Rain and Lightning
The Virgin of Small Plains

Read about the Marie Lightfoot Series
The Whole Truth
Ring of Truth
The Truth Hurts

Read about the Jenny Cain Series
Generous Death
Say No to Murder
No Body
Marriage Is Murder
Dead Crazy
Bum Steer
I.O.U.
But I Wouldn't Want to Die There
Confession
Twilight

Short Story Anthologies
Read about Nancy's Short Stories

Storm Warnings (All Pickard stories)
* The First Lady Murders
* Nancy Pickard Presents Malice Domestic
* Mom, Apple Pie & Murder
* Anthology edited by, and including a story by, Nancy Pickard

Non-Fiction
Read about the Seven Steps

Seven Steps on the Writer's Path by Nancy Pickard and Lynn Lott

Looking for something to read?
We've got short stories and essays .... Right here!

There Is No Crime on Easter Island
The First Ladies’ Secret
I Owe It All to Nancy Drew
A Celestial Press Conference

Read about The Eugenia Potter Series
Based on the character created by Virginia Rich.
The 27-Ingredient Chili Con Carne Murders
The Blue Corn Murders
The Secret Ingredient Murders

message 2: by ஐ Briansgirl (Book Queen)ஐ, Cozy Mysteries Group Owner (new)

Saving space.

I'll try to get the hyper links added for the booktitles soon.

message 3: by Nell (last edited May 30, 2012 05:28PM) (new)

Nell | 1179 comments Great choice! I read one of her Jenny Craig mysteries for a challenge a couple of months ago. The two non-series books are related stories. The Virgin of Small Plains won an Agatha and The Scent of Rain and Lightning was nominated for one.

message 4: by ஐ Briansgirl (Book Queen)ஐ, Cozy Mysteries Group Owner (new)

Thanks Nell. I don't have anything by this particular author so not familiar with her. I choose it off the suggested author thread (where I go when I need inspiration).

message 5: by Catherine (new)

Catherine (catjackson) I picked up The Virgin of Small Plains a couple of years ago on a whim and loved it. It was a great, thick read; there was a lot to it. Haven't picked up any other books written by Pickard since, though; not sure why. This is my chance to read at least one more by her. Thank you for picking Picard.

message 6: by Melodie (new)

Melodie (melodieco) | 5280 comments I read THE VIRGIN OF SMALL PLAINS a year or 2 ago. It was pretty good.

message 7: by Erica (new)

Erica G | -5 comments Thanks for featuring her. I will check her out.

message 8: by Nell (last edited May 31, 2012 05:35PM) (new)

Nell | 1179 comments I mentioned Pickard's recent Agatha nominations and award because those are for traditional (cozy) mysteries. Her books have been nominated for the major mystery awards (Agatha, Anthony, Edgar, Macavity & Dilys). The last two Jenny Cains, the Truth series and her two recent books are all in my TBR. This is a great incentive to read them. They went to the top of the pile this afternoon.

message 9: by Sue (new)

Sue (suetinge) | 622 comments My local library has several of her books, I'll have to check one out.

message 10: by Tricia (new)

Tricia Douglas (teachgiftedkids) | 199 comments This is a new author for me too! I do have The Scent of Rain and Lightning that I'll probably tackle first.

message 11: by Nell (last edited Jun 13, 2012 02:17PM) (new)

Nell | 1179 comments Catherine wrote: "I picked up The Virgin of Small Plains a couple of years ago on a whim and loved it. It was a great, thick read; there was a lot to it. Haven't picked up any other books written by Pickard since, t..."

The Scent of Rain and Lightning is a related story.

*See Beth's comment at message #19.

message 12: by Robin (new)

Robin (goodreadscomtriviagoddessl) | 630 comments I liked the Jenny Cain series. It has been awhile since I read her books. Eons ago, in fact.

message 13: by Marisa, Cozy Mysteries Assistant Moderator (last edited Jun 02, 2012 12:57AM) (new)

Marisa (moretta) | 3909 comments Mod
I think I'll go with Eugenia Potter series, that I can get it at the library.

message 14: by Heather L , Cozy Mysteries Moderator (new)

Heather L  (wordtrix) | 21984 comments Mod
I found the first book in two different series at Half Price Books this morning, Generous Death and The Whole Truth, will plan to read at least one of those before end of the month. Need to finish up my Patrcia Briggs books first. *g*

message 15: by Emily (new)

Emily | 14 comments I picked up The Whole Truth at the library, so I think I'm gonna give it a shot.

message 16: by Nell (new)

Nell | 1179 comments Kari wrote: "I was going to read Scent but I have not read Virgin. Do they need to be read in order?"

No, I don't think so. The primary connection seems to be the setting in small town Kansas.

message 17: by Beth (new)

Beth | 616 comments Great choice! Nancy is a wonderful author and such a gracious and caring lady, too. I absolutely loved The Virgin of Small Plains and The Scent of Rain and Lightning! I also really enjoyed The Whole Truth and have the other two books in that series on my to-read list. You can't go wrong with a Nancy Pickard book!

And, Kari, Virgin and Scent are stand-alone novels, so they don't need to be read in any order.

message 18: by adlin (new)

adlin | 101 comments I read the Jenny Cain series years ago and thoroughly enjoyed them. I just checked and it looks she stopped this series about in the 90's. Probably why I stopped reading them. At any rate, I thought they were well done mysteries and I liked Jenny.

message 19: by Katie (new)

Katie | 19 comments I just finished The Scent of Rain and Lightening, loved it!!

message 20: by Heather L , Cozy Mysteries Moderator (new)

Finished reading Generous Death before work this morning. Really liked this one, though I was a bit off on whodunnit.

message 21: by Vicky (new)

Vicky (ladyvictoria5) | 218 comments I finished The Blue Corn Murders The Blue Corn Murders (A Eugenia Potter Mystery #5) by Nancy Pickard .

I haven't read one of Ms. Pickard's books for a while so I appreciate the reminder of her good writing and accepted the opportunity to pick up something I didn't have laying around the house. I enjoyed it.

message 22: by Jane Reads (new)

Jane Reads | 222 comments I just read the Jenny Cain book #2, Say No to Murder, Say No to Murder (Jenny Cain, #2) by Nancy Pickard . I really liked it - 4 stars. I got it at the library, which didn't have the first book in the series.

message 23: by ஐ Briansgirl (Book Queen)ஐ, Cozy Mysteries Group Owner (new)

I'm glad everyone is enjoying our featured author this month. I havn't actually read her yet, as I don't own any of her books. I have to thank whoever suggested her on our Featured Author Suggestion thread. (Yes, I do actually use it.)

message 24: by Heather L , Cozy Mysteries Moderator (new)

Picked up books two and three in the Jenny Cain series at the USB today. I really liked the first book, looking forward to continuing the series!

message 25: by Marisa, Cozy Mysteries Assistant Moderator (new)

Marisa (moretta) | 3909 comments Mod
I've finished The 27-Ingredient Chili Con Carne Murders The 27-Ingredient Chili Con Carne Murders (A Eugenia Potter Mystery #4) by Nancy Pickard and I've really liked it. I'm going to keep on the series (The library has it :D )

message 26: by Heather L , Cozy Mysteries Moderator (new)

Finished Say No to Murder and No Body by Nancy Pickard. I think it's safe to say I will be searching out the rest of this series.

message 27: by Bonnie (new)

Bonnie Katie wrote: "I just finished The Scent of Rain and Lightening, loved it!!"
I just downloaded This one from my local library.

message 28: by ☯Emily (last edited Jun 27, 2012 11:44AM) (new)

☯Emily  Ginder | 57972 comments I have never read any of Nancy Pickard's books. I volunteer at a book sale and found I.O.U. I picked it up and will read it soon.

message 29: by Bonnie (new)

Bonnie I am enjoying The Scent of Rain and Lightening, but I don't know if it's what I would consider a cozy mystery.

message 30: by Sue (new)

Sue (suetinge) | 622 comments I really enjoyed The Scent of Rain and Lightning, but have to agree it wasn't quite a cozy.

message 31: by Betsy (new)

Betsy (mistymtladi) | 44 comments Hello,
I finished the Scent of Rain and Lightening and enjoyed it,but never located The Virgin of the Small Plains. It sounded like an interesting plot,so I'll keep on looking

message 32: by G (new)

G Hodges (glh1) | 14 comments I am almost finished with Generous Death and I am enjoying it. Especially the emotionally conflicted heroine. It isn't easy, and she runs the gamut. Not perfect, but a nice cozy. Just waiting to see how she ends it!

message 33: by Donna (new)

Donna | 27 comments I read The Blue Corn Murders The Blue Corn Murders (A Eugenia Potter Mystery #5) by Nancy Pickard and really enjoyed it.

message 34: by Betsy (new)

Betsy (mistymtladi) | 44 comments Still looking for Virgin of the Small Plains,but I did find The Whole Truth and will look and find for that series as well.