Challenge: 50 Books discussion

Finish Line 2009! > Julie's 50 books for 2009

Comments Showing 1-9 of 9 (9 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Julie (last edited Jan 10, 2009 10:15AM) (new)

Julie | 8 comments I am really looking forward to participating in the 50 book challenge for 2009.

1. Her Last Death: A Memoir by Susanna Sonnenberg Her Last Death By: Susanna Sonnenberg

My expectations were a little too high for this one. I was expecting a second coming of The Glass Castle by Jeanneatte Walls. To say this book fell short would be an understatement. Dont' get me wrong, there are portions of the book which were very readable, but some segments seemed very far fetched and unbelievable. I must admit, I am in awe of her full disclosure. I just kept thinking...I wonder what her mother-in-law thinks about all this!

(completed 1/10/09)

message 2: by Julie (last edited Jan 11, 2009 09:51AM) (new)

Julie | 8 comments 2. An Exact Replica of a Figment of My Imagination: A Memoir by Elizabeth McCracken An Exact Replica of a Figment of My Imagination By: Elizabeth McCracken

A brave account of one woman's journey through pregnancy and stillbirth. McCracken has something to teach all of us in how to love and support those going through a traumatic loss. A very fast read told in snapshots.

(completed 1/11/09)

message 3: by Julie (last edited Mar 01, 2009 11:41AM) (new)

Julie | 8 comments 3. [image error] Twilight By Stephanie Meyer

I realize that I am taking my life in my hands by stating this but, I thought this book was crap. I cannot believe the hype surrounding it. It was poorly written and terribly repetitive. With good editing and trimming the book down by about 300 pages it could have been decent...could have been. In all fairness I generally don't like any kind of fantasy/science fiction writing. I read it because it was the February selection for my book group. Rumor has it that next months pick is going to be New Moon. If that is the case, I will forgo that month! I just can't do it!

1 star.

message 4: by Julie (last edited Mar 01, 2009 11:42AM) (new)

Julie | 8 comments 4. Born Standing Up A Comic's Life by Steve Martin Born Standing Up by Steve Martin

3 stars.

Finished 1/30/09

message 5: by Julie (last edited Mar 01, 2009 11:43AM) (new)

Julie | 8 comments 5. Hurry Down Sunshine by Michael Greenberg Hurry Down Sunshine by Michael Greenberg

3 stars.

Finished on 2/1/09.

message 6: by Julie (last edited Mar 01, 2009 11:44AM) (new)

Julie | 8 comments 6. My Horizontal Life A Collection of One-Night Stands by Chelsea Handler My Horizontal Life by Chelsea Handler.

I laughed out loud so many times during this book. I cannot remember the last time I read a book that had me laughing this much!!

Four stars.

Finished 2/16/09.

message 7: by Aprile (new)

Aprile (aprileb) I'm sorry you didn't like Twilight! But I respect that you didn't like it, and hopefully everyone else does too :D

message 8: by Julie (last edited Feb 28, 2009 11:04PM) (new)

Julie | 8 comments 7. The Middle Place by Kelly Corrigan The Middle Place by: Kelly Corrigan

AMAZING. I loved, loved, loved this book!

Five Stars.

Finished 2/28/09.

message 9: by Julie (last edited Mar 08, 2009 09:56PM) (new)

Julie | 8 comments 8. Tethered A Novel by Amy MacKinnon Tethered by: Amy MacKinnion

I must admit, I have not read a mystery/thriller since high school. It took me a little time to get into this one. I mostly enjoyed the book; however, there were a few things that I did not appreciate. I thought the love story that is woven through this book was forced and out of place. Even with the awkward love plot, I would have probably given it 4 stars, but the ending was terrible! I was really disappointed by the last chapter. I finished the book feeling deflated.

Three stars

Finished 3/8/09