Artipathy discussion

Dear Theo > general observations

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kim (new)

Kim | 362 comments Mod
Well, looks like I might make it more than once a week! I'm currently reading about his pursual of his cousin. He's pretty determined. I'm actually annoyed with him here. If she said no, leave her alone! But they say artists have to be egoists to really be good, though I'm not sure this is what they mean. Still, this passion, like his passion/obsession with religion seems to feed his passion for making art so it is all part of what motivates him and that is interesting.

I do like that he talks about how love is more important than making money and doing work with love (my interpretation) is better than doing it for commerce. I think this is true. Ok, we all have to make a living, but while you're doing it, it seems like a positive thing not to focus on the money it will make you but your passion for the art itself. I'm just sayin'. Hope I don't get too preachy here. I'm just waiting for someone to say, hey, this is what I think... Y'all are awfully quiet out there. But hey, no pressure. I'll just keep talking my fool mouth off till someone tells me to shut up. ;0)

message 2: by Andrea (new)

Andrea | 30 comments On love being more important. Kim, did I ever tell you how whenever I try to take pictures for money something backfires? Lights fall over, camera malfunctions, light meter goes on the fritz, it is uncanny. It is like when massage therapists are practicing during training, they aren't supposed to do it for money, they sort of barter. So I totally agree with you. If you do it for money, there is something missing. Now if you love it - and the money comes along anyhow, that's great.

message 3: by Kim (new)

Kim | 362 comments Mod
Agreed, Andrea. I didn't know that about massage therapists training. Makes sense somehow. Perhaps that's why I'm having such a tough time with my portraiture right now. Thinking somewhat, though not all the time, about how it could help me get some work. It is hard not to think of that sometimes when I see Stan so tired from his job and I want to help. But mostly, I'm interested in the process. I didn't know that about your photography! That's very interesting!

message 4: by Terri (new)

Terri (terrilovescrows) | 30 comments One thing that I am trying to understand is why Maeve sort of dumped him (in VG's perspective anyway).