Children's Book Authors/Illustrators discussion

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Ms Kathleen (new)

Ms Kathleen (mskathleen) | 13 comments I am doing the art work for my children's book. I draw cartoon like characters. I was wondering if there is a preferred medium to use - a certain type of paper, ink, paint, watercolor, pencil, etc... What do publishers look for? I have the sketch's done but don't want to finish them and then have to start over.

This is my first children's book (I have published only poetry and photographs in the past) so I know I have a lot to learn. Is there a site I can go to that tells you what publishers are looking for in illustrations?

Thank you for any help.

message 2: by Jodi (new)

Jodi Stone (jodistone) | 224 comments Mod
Hi Kathleen!
I think it's whatever you feel most comfortable with. I prefer cardstock paper...it's thicker and very resilient for most coloring tools. I use pencil for drawing, and then for shading in I use colored pencils. After everything is to my liking, I finish by outlining details in sharpies...they work very well for definition. If you use paint, I'm not sure what type works best, but I would try different mediums and see which you feel best with. I am self-taught, so I never referred to any sites, but rather to my idols like Mary Englebriet, to see what mediums they used and how they got started...it was very inpsiring. Good luck and let us know if you need anything at all! (And so sorry this is so late!)

message 3: by Ms Kathleen (new)

Ms Kathleen (mskathleen) | 13 comments Thank you so very much! Yes, card stock is nice and I have a LOT of it for some reason. I hadn't thought of sharpies ... great idea. I am pretty self taught (obviously) and am enjoying it for the most part. The problem is I am so slow...! Oh well. Have a great day and thanks again.

message 4: by Jodi (new)

Ms Kathleen wrote: "Thank you so very much! Yes, card stock is nice and I have a LOT of it for some reason. I hadn't thought of sharpies ... great idea. I am pretty self taught (obviously) and am enjoying it for the m..."

I am the same way...I am very slow, but I think it's better to be slow and careful, especially once to the phase when you cannot erase, lol! You will love using sharpies...they changed all of my perspective on illustrating. Just make sure they are all fine point...that way the ouline doesn't look too thick :). Hope you have a great day as well!

message 5: by Ms Kathleen (new)

Ms Kathleen (mskathleen) | 13 comments Thank you again. Fine point sharpies are on my shopping list :)

message 6: by Jodi (new)

You're very welcome :)...best of luck! Keep in touch!