Q&A with author Frank Nappi discussion

New York Mets: Rookie Hunger is Key to Success

Comments Showing 1-12 of 12 (12 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Frank (new)

Frank Nappi (fnap33) | 258 comments Mod
Check out my latest blog about the New York Mets on BleacherReport:

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/12...

Let me know what you think!

The Legend of Mickey Tussler by Frank Nappi

Sophomore Campaign A Mickey Tussler Novel (Mickey Tussler, #2) by Frank Nappi

message 2: by [deleted user] (new)

I agree with the reasoning you expressed, but the season is still young and youthful exuberance can fall to experienced pitching that can find holes in swings.
As a rival Phils fan, beware of the toughest division in baseball. I still like the Nats and Marlins over the long run.I fear your Mets and my Phils are destined for the bottom two slots.
I do like the substance of your argument;it worked for Billy Beane for quite a while.

message 3: by Frank (new)

Thanks Harold...just turned off the TV after Rollins killed us again.....ugh!

message 4: by Rita (new)

Rita (subwaygirlrita) | 3 comments I like your argument. I do believe that younger players play the game with more hunger and heart. I wish all players would get back to having fun, enjoying the game and showing the fans how much they love the game. Often time when I watch the sportsmen of today I just wonder if they are worried about getting their next multi-million dollar contract.

message 5: by [deleted user] (new)

There are very few who play for the love of the game.The union and arbitration made players money conscious, but that is free-enterprise.The hunger these days is to make money in their free agent year rather than play like Pete Rose or Robinson or Mays.Maybe someone should write a book,"For the Love of the Game."

message 6: by Rita (new)

Rita (subwaygirlrita) | 3 comments Harold wrote: "There are very few who play for the love of the game.The union and arbitration made players money conscious, but that is free-enterprise.The hunger these days is to make money in their free agent y..."
I agree Harold I would love to see players play just because they truly love the game again, but yes with everyone thinking of money I feel those days have come and gone and sadly we will probably never see them again.

message 7: by Frank (new)

Rita wrote: "Harold wrote: "There are very few who play for the love of the game.The union and arbitration made players money conscious, but that is free-enterprise.The hunger these days is to make money in the..."

Rita wrote: "Harold wrote: "There are very few who play for the love of the game.The union and arbitration made players money conscious, but that is free-enterprise.The hunger these days is to make money in the..."

I agree Rita, although I believe we do on occasion get these wonderful glimpses into what it would be like if everyone just played the game for the sake of the game when these young players get their opportunity. It is indeed refreshing.

message 8: by Rita (new)

Rita (subwaygirlrita) | 3 comments Frank wrote: "Rita wrote: "Harold wrote: "There are very few who play for the love of the game.The union and arbitration made players money conscious, but that is free-enterprise.The hunger these days is to make..."
I completely agree with that statement Frank.

message 9: by Frank (new)

Yes...that's why disillusioned baseball junkies like me -- those who long desperately for the golden age of baseball -- are relegated to creating fictional stories about good old fashioned hardball players!!

message 10: by Harold (new)

Harold Titus (haroldtitus) But then you have "gamers" that are 10 plus year veterans that provide a last hurrah contribution on teams like the Giants (2010): Pat Burrell, Aubrey Huff, Edgar Renteria.

message 11: by [deleted user] (new)

You left out Michael Young of Texas who would play any position he was asked to play and do it well.Moreover, he is by all accounts a wonderful man.

message 12: by Frank (new)

Harold wrote: "You left out Michael Young of Texas who would play any position he was asked to play and do it well.Moreover, he is by all accounts a wonderful man."

Yes, there are a few out there, but they are more aberrations these days than the norm. Thanks!