PHS AP Lit: A Portrait of the Artist as a Young Man discussion

James Joyce

Comments Showing 1-10 of 10 (10 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Allison (new)

Allison | 13 comments So I decided to look up James Joyce and find some stuff out about him and what I found out is that Stephen Dedalus is James Joyce's double pretty much.

He went to all the same schools, had a poor father and a devout catholic mother, and had hardships with faith and nationality.

Another thing I found out was that the Christmas scene along with the Stephens first prostitute experience were Joyce's personal experiences.

Also Joyce wrote short stories under the pseudonym "Stephen Daedalus" which is really fascinating. (maybe to only myself)

Here I am pitiying and relating to imaginary Stephen when, in actuallity, I'm relating to James Joyce.

He was also one of the pioneers for stream of consciousness style of writing.

Anyway what do you guys think about it? Is it just me who thought this was interesting?

message 2: by Riley (new)

Riley | 8 comments I think it is really interseting too. I think that knowing this simple fact makes the story so much more interesting because you know that it has actually happened to the person who is telling you about it, it makes you have a more emotional connection with the character, not nececarily that you can relate but knowing that the events aren't all fiction, they actually happend...i think that it make you feel sympathy towards the character more often.

I think a lot of the time fact is a lot more interesting than fiction.

On a side note Hemmingway also wrote of his own experiences...It makes his stories a lot more interesting too...

message 3: by Allison (new)

Allison | 13 comments thanks Riley now I dont feel like such a nerd

: ]

message 4: by Alisa (new)

Alisa Padilla (alisaisthebest) | 7 comments hey that makes a bit more sense for the book!
i re read the biographical think in our little books that we got in class, and i was wondering if any of this could of ever related to joyce's life!
allison i liked your dumbldore quote, it made me like everything a little bit more about the assingment!

message 5: by [deleted user] (new)

Thinking back, I have no idea where I heard it--probably from one of last year's AP Lit students or someone from Mr. Blair's class--but I went into this book with the idea that Stephen was, to some extent, James Joyce. I didn't know that it was to such an extent--they went to all the same schools, for example--but I knew the basic stories were the same. I think that this colored my reading of the novel, since I had an understanding that these things actually happened to a person. This is yet another reason (to get to biographical criticism) that I disagree with the school of thought which says we should take an author's works for their merit alone, and disregard how their own lives affected them (same as with Hemingway).

message 6: by Alisa (new)

Alisa Padilla (alisaisthebest) | 7 comments your not crazy ian i remember it too.
maybe it was just our table!

message 7: by Zach (new)

Zach Moore | 5 comments Before I started reading this book I decided to look up Joyce so that I could know a little more about him before endeavored in the story. I remember reading somewhere that Stephen’s life correlated to Joyce’s life in many ways. Somehow I had forgotten all this until now, I am glad you brought this up Allison! Throughout my reading I was always impressed with Joyce and the way he portrayed Stephen’s emotions, and thinking. The author captured every scene and emotion so well I often felt that I was there or could relate. I think that the fact that much of this story occurred to joyce himself makes the story much more compelling. I like the way that Riley was describing the connections a reader can make with character in a book. The books that I have loved the most are the stories that I can relate to the characters. I was surprised to think that many of the scenes in the story actually happened to a real person. It seemed to add another element to the story being aware that a lot of it was lived by Joyce.

message 8: by Allison (new)

Allison | 13 comments Alisa, I could find a Harry Potter quote for everything.

After all he is Jesus

message 9: by Heather (new)

Heather (ilikepiealot316) | 4 comments -Mrs. Marinelli LAWLZ is like lol, or lolz. laugh out loud. etc. =]

I haven't looked up anything on James Joyce yet, so I don't know exactly how alike Stephen and him are other than what's been said on here; however, I am very interested in the fact that Joyce didn't even change the names of the schools. Now, when people write stories of "other people" that are suspiciously similar to their own, they change the names of everything. I wonder why Joyce didn't feel the need to do this?
I am going to look stuff up on him as soon as I can, I'm rather curious.

message 10: by David (new)

David Tennyson | 5 comments Mrs. Marinelli its ok that your old, it happens to a lot of people... But not us in highschool... ya

But i digress, i do find that interesting. Often authors use their own past to create stories and tell tales. but in this case it is a little extreme that he didint really make up anything. maybe it started out as an autobiography and he just couldnt tell everyone about how he personally felt about the way the world was. by putting it under someone elses fictional name he could feel free to say anything he wanted without feeling any pressure from family, peers or society as a whole.

PHS AP Lit: A Portrait of the Artist as a Young...

unread topics | mark unread