Vaginal Fantasy Book Club discussion

2012 Archives > Jun 2012: To which among the Thirteen Houses of Court of Night-Blooming Flowers would you belong? *Spoilers*

Comments Showing 1-50 of 58 (58 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by AnnaBanana (last edited May 30, 2012 01:53PM) (new)

AnnaBanana Pascone (snapdragnful) | 89 comments Alyssum
Reasoning: When Naamah offered herself to the King of Persis, she trembled to lay aside her modesty.
Motto: With eyes averted.
Canon: Modest
This House understands the allure of the illicit. Whereas most of d'Angeline society is very open about sexuality and desire, Alysseum House values modesty and the desire inspired by prohibition and it's transgression.

Balm
Reasoning: Naamah came in compassion when she offered herself to the King of Persis.
Motto: Rest and be soothed.
Canon: Compassion
The House of compassion, Balm seeks to soothe the weary soul and understands the healing value of friendship and kindness, Balm Courtesans are trained in massage and relaxation techniques. Some former Balm courtesans go on to become chirurgeons or pursue other medical professions once their marque is complete.

Bryony
Reasoning: When Naamah offered herself to the King of Persis, she made a good bargain in the exchange.
Motto: Wealth seeks company.
Canon: Cupidity and wagering
Bryony is the home of wealth and avarice. They understand the relationship between coin, power and desire and play their hand thusly. The only House to wager patronage, they are trained in mathematics and calculation, and rarely lose when gambling. Some former Bryony adepts can be found throughout the banks and treasuries of Terre d'Ange working as clerks.

Camellia
Reasoning: When Naamah lay with the King of Persis, her unveiled perfection caused him to go blind for two weeks.
Motto: Without fault or flaw.
Canon: Perfection
Camellia House is in constant search of perfection. In this pursuit, there is the implicit recognition that perfection is never truly attainable, as it is an ever-changing ideal. They understand that striving for perfection is a lifelong goal, and as such are very aware and hardworking.

Cereus
Reasoning: Unknown, though according to Jacqueline Carey, it would be held that the sight of Naamah's ephemeral beauty would have left the King of Persis in tears.
Motto: All loveliness fades.
Canon: Pale fragility
The founding House of the Night Court, over 650 years prior to the setting of Terre d'Ange Mux it was established by Enediel Vintesoir. Held First amongst the Thirteen, the Dowayne of Cereus represents the Night Court of the city judiciary and in government. Fair and transient, in some members of Cereus House, once their blush of youth fades, an inner steel is revealed.

Dahlia
Reasoning: When Naamah offered herself to the King of Persis, she bestowed herself like a queen.
Motto: Upright and unbending
Canon: dignity and regality
Regal and confident, Dahlia is a House of pride where adepts understand the allure of reaching the unattainable in touching royalty, and being deemed worthy. They hold themselves to be Kings and Queens in their own domain, who bestow themselves upon patrons, honoring clients with their presence and sexual favour.

Eglantine
Reasoning: Naamah charmed the King of Persis with the sweetness of her song
Motto: To create is to live
Canon: Genius, song, and performance
Entertainers and creators, these are the artists of the Night Court. Eglantine House understands the value of pure entertainment in it's tumblers and performers, as well as the allure of imagination and the act of creation in it's various artists and artisans. To patronize Eglantine is to be enveloped in human creations, in art and artifice, and perhaps to touch the spark of imagination that flows through them.

Gentian
Reasoning: Naamah was filled with visions when she offered herself to the King of Persis.
Motto: Truth and vision
Canon: Mystic purity of spirit
Gentian House sees the beauty of vision and spirituality. They understand the desire in people to see the future and to touch something greater, something divine. As such, they offer patrons an ethereal experience, and are very knowledgeable with regards to lore and theology. Some former Gentian courtesans go on to become priests and priestesses in the service of the various Companions and Elua.

Heliotrope
Reasoning: When Naamah lay with the King of Persis, she basked in love as in the sun.
Motto: Thou and no other.
Canon: Love and devotion
The House of romantic love, Heliotrope offers it's patrons just that, an open heart. They understand the appeal of a loving embrace, and offer it freely. Members of Heliotrope House must remember though to take their heart back when the patron leaves, for otherwise they might have less to offer the next one.

Jasmine
Reasoning: Naamah gave herself to the King of Persis for the pleasure of it.
Motto: For pleasure's sake
Canon: Pleasure and sensuality
Jasmine House values the exotic and it is rumored that Bodhistani blood runs through the veins of those borne to it's courtesans. They value darker skin tones, and revere sensuality above all else. Patrons are treated lavishly, and all senses engaged for sensual pleasures, and there is certain quality about their offerings that tend towards languid encounters.

Mandrake
Reasoning: Naamah chose her patrons like victims and whipped them to violent pleasures, leaving them sated and half dead.
Motto: Yield all
Canon: Sadism and dominance.
Mandrake House requires the use of the signale in all contracts for the sake of the patron. Skilled in the use of pain of control, patrons go to Mandrake to give over the reigns and follow the lead of their confident courtesans and adepts. The use of the flechettes is permitted with the consent of the patron and all courtesans are trained in their use. Patrons who are very controlling in everyday situations often enjoy the feeling of submission found here.

Orchis
Reasoning: Naamah lay with the King of Persis for a lark.
Motto: Joy in laughter.
Canon: Mirth
Laughter and joy are held in highest esteem by Orchis House. Patrons frequent this House in order to wrap themselves in joy and elevate their spirits. It is said that when one leaves Orchis, they are smiling for days, and peaceful with the world, finding joy in all.

Valerian
Reasoning: Unknown, though according to Jacqueline Carey, Naamah yielded to the King of Persis' will in order to free Elua.
Motto: I yield.
Canon: Algolagnia and submission.
Valerian House uses the signale for the sake of the courtesans, who may end their activities at any point. Patrons who go to Valerian are seeking to control the courtesan and enjoy the feeling of power over them. Ever yielding, the adepts and courtesans of Valerian submit themselves to the will and pleasures, often sadistic, of their patrons. Potentential apprentices are given a spiced candy at the age of 6, and only those who understand that part of the pleasure of the candy is the sharp bite of the spice are allowed to remain. Many Valerian courtesans bear scars for their assignations.

Source: http://terredange.wikispaces.com/Nigh...

message 2: by Rozena (new)

Rozena T You should turn this into a quiz :) It would be fun to see teehee

message 3: by Stephanie (new)

Stephanie Personally I'm drawn by the idea of Cereus house.
I had a friend who was also in love with this book (she has the marque tattooed on her back) and when she found out that I also had read and loved the book we chatted about the different houses and which was our favorite. She offered up the idea that she thought of me as an Ysandre de la Courcel character rather than a part of the Court of Night-Blooming Flowers. This was an unbidden opinion but very appreciated. I think her character grows up so well!
Also, I agree, this would be a fun quiz to take.

message 4: by Rachel (new)

Rachel | 89 comments I used to be bona-fide Valerian, but I'm retired now. These days, I'd put myself in Eglantine or Gentian - probably Eglantine, since I like telling stories.

message 5: by Alu (new)

Alu (aluhealz) That is actually really tough to pick. I can easily see picking any of them as a patron and most of them as a courtesan. Really is a mood thing in my opinion.

If I had to pick though, as a courtesan I would probably belong to Heliotrope or Orchis. As a patron however I would go with Jasmine or Mandrake. Though again that's only if I had to pick.

message 6: by Emy (last edited Jun 01, 2012 03:29AM) (new)

Emy (emypt) | 67 comments Possibly Gentian :)

EDIT: Mollie's quiz puts me as Eglantine :P

message 7: by Mollie (new)

Mollie (englishchick) There is a quiz for this! It is located here- http://www.quizilla.com/quizzes/32056... and there is also a book club called City of Elua for Jacqueline Carey fans which is here- http://www.goodreads.com/group/show/1... .

When I took the quiz in 2010, I got Jasmine House. You belong in Jasmine House, you sensualist. Pleasure is what moves you -- you may be a little lazy, you may just like everything sensual and exotic. If it feels good, smells goods, tastes good, looks good, sounds good...that's what you want. Warm and sexy, you like feeling attractive.

message 8: by Courtney (new)

Courtney | 26 comments Great find on the quiz!

I got Valerian House. Ooh boy! ^.^
You belong in Valerian House because really, you're a sub. You want to be dominated by a lover, and the idea of a little pain with your pleasure might scare you...but it also turns you on.

message 9: by Amy (new)

Amy | 58 comments I took the quiz linked by Mollie and got Valerian House.

message 10: by Julie (new)

Julie (subtleseasonings) | 88 comments Orchis House!

message 11: by Tiffany (new)

Tiffany Scott (tjscott978) | 16 comments I belong to Eglantine House. I thought so it was the one that most appealed to me when reading about them.

You belong in Eglantine House where genius rules. Creativity, artistic pursuits, and cleverness matters a great deal to you. You know that the brain is the largest erogenous organ -- not only that, you know what erogenous means. In short, smart is sexy, and you're both.

message 12: by Lisa (new)

Lisa Marsh | 22 comments I got Jasmine House with the quiz, but I also wouldn't mind a little Valerian House in my veins.

message 13: by Amanda (last edited Jun 01, 2012 07:52AM) (new)

Amanda | 4 comments I'm Alyssum or Heliotrope for sure. Rather shy, have to have an emotional connection.. yep. But I love all the Houses!

I almost wish JC would write a book based a courtesan/courtier(?) from each House just to really explore the different aspects of the Night Court because it fascinates me so much, but I realize that's a bit too indulgent.

In any case, the whole series of books is my absolute favorite. So glad Kushiel's Dart is June's pick for my first month of Vaginal Fantasy!

message 14: by Lindsay (new)

Lindsay (roguefire) | 85 comments Ha I belong to the Eglantine House also - yay for smart, nerdy, sexy women!

message 15: by AnnaBanana (new)

AnnaBanana Pascone (snapdragnful) | 89 comments Jasmine House for me too. I am so glad there is already a quiz for this, because I would not have been able to come up with questions. Maybe we should come up with our own questions and make our own quiz, VF style

message 16: by AnnaBanana (new)

AnnaBanana Pascone (snapdragnful) | 89 comments And I would have to visit them all before choosing as a patron, I think. But I would go to Orchis first.

(And as some one with a slightly better than average voice, I would have thought I would end up in Eglantine)

message 17: by Jillian (new)

Jillian Coleen (jilliancoleen) | 22 comments Only started reading the book a couple days ago and am HOOKED... took the quiz and it appears that I belong in Eglantine! Genius rules, brain the biggest erogenous organ... yep. Sounds right :)

message 18: by Erin (new)

Erin | 4 comments I got Orchis house from the quiz. I kind of had a feeling that would be the house I would get from ready your descriptions. I'm looking forward to reading the rest of the book!

message 19: by Destiny (new)

Destiny Morna (destinymorna) | 9 comments Took the quiz--Jasmine house for me, which I kinda was leaning towards anyway. Just started the book this weekend!

You belong in Jasmine House, you sensualist. Pleasure is what moves you -- you may be a little lazy, you may just like everything sensual and exotic. If it feels good, smells goods, tastes good, looks good, sounds good...that's what you want. Warm and sexy, you like feeling attractive.

message 20: by Malin (new)

Malin (maline) | 43 comments I took the quiz, and got Balm. I suspect there's quite a bit of Heliotrope in there too. :)

message 21: by Meaghan (new)

Meaghan (immortalraine) | 7 comments Took the quiz and I'm Eglantine... sounds about right :)

message 22: by Ada (new)

Ada Graves (aideendewinter) | 8 comments Somewhere between Eglantine and Mandrake, I'm sure.

message 23: by Aaron (new)

Aaron Hellrung | 11 comments I don't know. I have to admit I find the whole idea a little too limiting. I don't think I can pick the sexual characteristic that both I and my partners value most. Depending on circumstances I could picture myself in any of the 13 houses. Maybe there needs to be a utility infielder of the night court position. I could just float between houses depending on my mood. My marque would probably end up looking a little messed up though.

message 24: by AnnaBanana (new)

AnnaBanana Pascone (snapdragnful) | 89 comments Aaron wrote: "I don't know. I have to admit I find the whole idea a little too limiting. I don't think I can pick the sexual characteristic that both I and my partners value most. Depending on circumstances I co..."

Ha, I could imagine! But you can be a servant of Naamah without being in one of the houses, like Phedre and Alcuin were. That might suit you better. I think I might enjoy the sense of belonging that you might get from being a part of one of the houses, being acceptable to their cannon and surrounded by people who are striving for the same thing...But independence and freedom are something always desired, so who knows? It is still fun to speculate!

message 25: by Alex (new)

Alex Mayer (alex_mayer) | 209 comments Seems I belong to Orchis House, little bit playful or something.

message 26: by Rachel (new)

Rachel | 10 comments Heliotrope House, according to the quiz.

message 27: by Heather (new)

Heather | 17 comments The quiz said Orchis for me. Makes sense, I think. I value wisdom and good character but I enjoy humor above almost everything else.

message 28: by Jes (new)

Jes (tiaama) | 110 comments I got Orchis from the quiz, but was torn in the direction of Eglantine as well...
Orchis makes sense though, really who would want to be with someone who didn't laugh in bed?

message 29: by Sophia (new)

Sophia | 13 comments You belong in Balm House. The canon of Balm is compassion in love-making. For you, sex has a lot to do with healing and restoration, both emotional and physical. Connections can be made in the bedroom that can't be made anywhere else. You are probably kind-hearted, tender, and care a lot about others.

I can see that... although I'm not particularly great at giving massages so that might be problematic. =P There probably quite a bit of Eglantine or Orchis mixed in there, too.

message 30: by Chloe (new)

Chloe (chloemelissa) | 57 comments You belong in Orchis House because you love to laugh in bed. Sex and love are both sources of great joy to you, and you're not too picky about it, as long as you can enjoy yourself, and enjoy your lover. You know how to bestow joy in sex, because that's what you want from your lover, too.

Accurate lol.

message 31: by Mouse (new)

Mouse | 10 comments Doh! I got Mandrake. My husband started cracking up. ... apparently that is accurate. Who knew?

message 32: by Molly (last edited Jun 07, 2012 08:21PM) (new)

Molly (mollyrichmer) I think Eglantine sounds like a riot. I'd probably go there as a patron.

What house would I be in myself? Based on physicality, probably Cereus, because they take pity on the pale. :) I got Orchis on the quiz, and I do love to laugh, but I'm also drawn to Heliotrope and Balm. Tough choice!

message 33: by Seawood (new)

Seawood Jessica wrote: "Doh! I got Mandrake. My husband started cracking up. ... apparently that is accurate. Who knew?"

Is he Valerian, though? ;-)

Valerian for me. No surprises at all there. I appear to be hitched to a Camellia, which works surprisingly well :)

message 34: by Fallon (new)

Fallon (fallonvale) | 10 comments I got Eglantine, which seems pretty fitting.

message 35: by Vicky (new)

Vicky (librovert) | 493 comments Mod
The quiz dumped me into Balm, which I can see.

I'm thinking...

Camellia. Perfection is a strong word, but I do strive to push my limits and be a better person every day.

or

Cereus. Just because I love the idea of a strength that lies beyond your physical appearance.

message 36: by Mouse (new)

Mouse | 10 comments Caroline wrote: "Jessica wrote: "Doh! I got Mandrake. My husband started cracking up. ... apparently that is accurate. Who knew?"

Is he Valerian, though? ;-)

Valerian for me. No surprises at all there. I appe..."

He is actually a split between Valerian and Eglantine. Which works out wonderfully for us. :-P

message 37: by stellato (new)

stellato (alisonfaith) I'm Eglantine! Though, I have a feeling that Mandrake and Jasmine are second and third best for me. :)

message 38: by Saoirse (new)

Saoirse I am Balm, by quiz and by choice. Though I do have a streak of Valerian in me. Can we just say I am a veritable bouquet of sexual failure?

message 39: by AshesToU (new)

AshesToU | 5 comments Interesting... I am of Cereus House according to the quiz...However when reading the descriptions I would most enjoy Eglantine or Orchis house just because I adore creativity and laughter. I have a tendency of giggling even when in the act and to the sometimes annoyance of my significant other will teasingly joke during and after fairly regularly. I feel like life is too short to not enjoy yes, but not the choice I would have thought for myself. Curiouser and curiouser.

Thanks for the quiz

message 40: by GA (new)

GA (strangesoul) | 252 comments Took because I was curious to see how different an answer I would get from when I took this quiz (or one like it) 10 years ago. Turns out not too different. Went from Heliotrope to Balm.

message 41: by Jane (new)

Jane Higginson | 180 comments I took the quiz and got orchis house :)

message 42: by Megan (new)

Megan (megsimadic) | 23 comments I took the quiz and got Heliotrope. Sounds about right :)

message 43: by Courtland (new)

Courtland Patterson | 17 comments the quiz has spoken and i got Alyssum...lil surprised because i expected heliotrope at first.

message 44: by Necrophidian (new)

Necrophidian | 74 comments Eglantine & Orchis are the stand-outs out for me. Perhaps I will engage in a nefarious political plot to merge them! Buahaha-- oooh, lookit the shiny! *distracted*

...Anywho, quiz pegged me as Eglantine. Interestingly, when I went back and changed one answer that could've gone either way for me, I got the Orchis result. So, there ya go.

I imagine Orchis marques must be quite eccentric. Maybe they're just Gary Larson cartoons? Except, y'know... sexy. Uhm.

...now that I'm thinking about it, I bet that brap noise created by the suction between stomachs is considered a good blessing in House Orchis... Hey, let's call it "Naamah's Laugh"!

...Okay, I should probably stop now.

message 45: by Necrophidian (new)

Necrophidian | 74 comments Oh, also I think this should be a question for the next video.

Anyone care to guess who'd pick what? ;)

message 46: by Katherine (new)

Katherine (sandrakay) | 9 comments That was fun.

Another Eglantine here.

message 47: by Candy (new)

Candy (heartlessone) | 83 comments Eglantine also, which is what I would have picked for myself anyway.

message 48: by Izzy (new)

Izzy (lepetitegeneral) | 48 comments Jasmine but I think that spiced with some Valerian. It's kind of a tie for me between the two.

message 49: by Christoph (new)

Christoph | 2 comments I would be somewhere between Mandrake, Jasmin and Orchis.

message 50: by Rebecca (new)

Rebecca Mabe (beckegirl) | 16 comments The quiz gave me heliotrope, which sounds alright with me!

« previous 1