The Hunger Games (The Hunger Games, #1) The Hunger Games discussion

Jennifer Lawrence

Comments Showing 1-34 of 34 (34 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by [deleted user] (new)

Do you think Jennifer Lawrence played Katnis Good?

Karine I didn't mind her at all, Plus the movie was well made, I do hope that the new director for the second movie will do it justice.

Jordan Moriah I personally think she sucked. Katniss is a really sarcastically funny person and Jennifer Lawrence didn't really portray that side of her. She also looked to old to play a 16 year old girl.

Jenny B Sorry, but I have to agree with Jordan... She sucked. Not only that, but she didn't have a look I was expecting hollywood to select for Katniss. Katniss is supposed to be thin, not curvy. Jennifer Lawrence was too curvy.

PS - Where did all those Head Gamesmaster scenes come from?? I hated all the additional scenes with them because they were pointless and actually took away from other scenes that could have been used or emphasized. The movie really didn't do the book justice.

message 5: by [deleted user] (new)

I agree with what Jenny (above) said about her ps statement
I think jennifer is a good actress but she could have done a better job of katniss
to me she made her seem weak(emotionally) and well could easliy be taken over...

Amanda I believed Jennifer Lawrence was a good person to portray Katniss. She was abrasive in her manner of speaking and she was what I pictured her to be. Considering they couldn't actually starve her, then make her gain the weight back, her body type was fine. I am a huge fan of the book, and I am a huge critic, but I personally loved the movie.

Karine Miley Cyrus would have made too many jokes, I never portrayed Katniss as a comical character.

Steph I liked her as Katniss

Ember I think she seemed to old and stiff to be Katniss and didn't portray her very well

Maddi Amanda wrote: "I believed Jennifer Lawrence was a good person to portray Katniss. She was abrasive in her manner of speaking and she was what I pictured her to be. Considering they couldn't actually starve her, t..."

I agree, i liked Jennifer Lawrence as Katniss, too!

message 11: by [deleted user] (new)

Jenny wrote: "Sorry, but I have to agree with Jordan... She sucked. Not only that, but she didn't have a look I was expecting hollywood to select for Katniss. Katniss is supposed to be thin, not curvy. Jennifer ..."

Yay! Some people who agree with me! I thought that she is not a good actress, she's way too big and cumbersome (not large, but... big), not agile, too old, stiff, and just not good as Katniss!

Karine Do realize this is a movie, it is an adaptation of a book, of course everyone has a different portrayal of each character. Was she exactly as I imagined her in the book... no. But I did find her believable in the movie!

Maddi Rhea wrote: "Do realize this is a movie, it is an adaptation of a book, of course everyone has a different portrayal of each character. Was she exactly as I imagined her in the book... no. But I did find her be..."

Exactly!! :)

Haidi Jenny wrote: "Sorry, but I have to agree with Jordan... She sucked. Not only that, but she didn't have a look I was expecting hollywood to select for Katniss. Katniss is supposed to be thin, not curvy. Jennifer ..."

I totally disagree with you about the Gamemaker scenes. I thought these were very clever scenes to put in as it gave us an insight into the overwhelming control the gamemakers had over the game and what was happening in it. It was also vital, I think for people who hadn't read the books to get an understanding of the way the capitol and gamemakers view it as such a game. Without the gamemaker scenes I think it would have been hard to grasp the concept of how "man made" the arena actually was.

message 15: by Mary (new) - rated it 5 stars

Mary Personally I think she made a horrid Katniss. She was meant to be thin and starving in a way not, healthy 'I have enough to eat everyday' way. Also she was meant to be like really hairy right? She did not look like that. And she did not capture Katniss' personality right. I was disappointed by her acting. That was one of the reasons I was disappointed with the movie.

Deanne Chapman I agree. The scenes with the gamemakers were important for the audience members who had not read the book. As far as Jennifer Lawrence's portrayal as Katniss, I think she is a great actress, and did a very good job in the Hunger Games!

message 17: by Karine (last edited May 31, 2012 06:30PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Karine Mary wrote: "Personally I think she made a horrid Katniss. She was meant to be thin and starving in a way not, healthy 'I have enough to eat everyday' way. Also she was meant to be like really hairy right? She ..."
Well Iv'e watched the Machinist, and I am sorry, but Christian Bale in there is NOT HEALTHY, even though he is playing a role, actors should not have to drastically change their sizes to be able to play a role. Our society already has a problem with weight disorders and people wanting to be stick thin. Considering the movie is so popular and little girls now want to be like Katniss and shoot bows and arrows, I am glad they see a curvy beautiful women instead of someone who starved themselves for their role and a little bit of fame.

Bonnie Jennifer Lawrence did a lot of training for the role too. If her body could be naturally thinner, it would be.

message 19: by Ana (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ana I reckon she portrayed Katniss really well.

In terms of the body issue I completely agree with Rosie. Jennifer Lawrence is a healthy role model for young people. When I read the series I always imagined someone with a body shape like Jennifer's because Katniss is strong, I mean you would have to be to climb all those trees and constantly be hunting and runnning. Plus Katniss hunts animals for food which means her diet is full of protein, therefore she would have a toned build not an emaciated one.

message 20: by Jennie (last edited Jun 01, 2012 04:53AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Jennie PS - Where did all those Head Gamesmaster scenes come from?? I hated all the additional scenes with them because they were pointless and actually took away from other scenes that could have been used or emphasized. The movie really didn't do the book justice.

fark your kidding right?? As a movie you need thoes seens to keep it going!! other wise you will just have a move revolved around what Katniss is thinking. When will ppl realize, books and movies all thou might be about the same thing are completely different. Not everyone has read the books and movie makers relize that.

Gemma I think she was fantastic and she delivered Katniss the way the movie script required her to, remember she was acting in accord of the script not the book. Anyway to me she portrayed the perfect Katniss because she conveyed the struggle and the pain the the games bring. She is an amazing actress and my only problem with her is that she doesnt look 16 - but I would rather have the actress look a little old if she can play the perfect Katniss.

Aishavadia i love jennifer,she did a really good job acting as katniss,and josh hutcherson did a good job as well

Aishavadia Rachel The Awesome wrote: "Do you think Jennifer Lawrence played Katnis Good?"

real good,she did a grat job

message 24: by Angie Elle (last edited Jun 01, 2012 01:21PM) (new) - rated it 2 stars

Angie Elle I didn't like her as Katniss. IMO, she's a good actress; I just didn't think she was a good Katniss.

I don't think she resembled the girl in the book at all. Yes, I realize this was the movie and not the book, but they bought the rights to the book, and I like it when the movie follows the book closely, right down to who they cast.

I think part of the problem (for me) could have been a make up artist issue as well. With as weathered as every one else looked from her district, it's hard to believe she and Gale were so 'fresh' and healthy looking. I know they hunted, but I think it mentions in the book, too, that she had to sell/trade a lot of her 'kills' for things other than food. And with all of Gale's siblings, I would imagine the meals weren't that plentiful even with what he brought home.

Paige At first I was unsure about her playing Katnis but when I saw the movie I dont think they could hae picked anyone better to play the role

Graciekat I loooooved Jennifer as Katniss! She was the perfect look for Katniss... I have aways imagined Katniss as a strong person and Jennifer is one. I loved the way Jennifer portrayed Katniss... Her acting was spot on!!! I disagree with the negative reviews... She was a great choice for Katniss in this movie, no one could have been better!

message 27: by Tori (new) - rated it 5 stars

Tori She looked okay; coulda been a little thinner. Overall, I thought she was good. Plus, her way of speaking was EXACTLY like I imagined Katniss would talk, so that was good. :)
And, Katniss was a pretty tricky character to portray, so any actress would have her pros and cons.

message 28: by Lucy (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lucy Jenny wrote: "Sorry, but I have to agree with Jordan... She sucked. Not only that, but she didn't have a look I was expecting hollywood to select for Katniss. Katniss is supposed to be thin, not curvy. Jennifer ..."

I think the Gamemaker scenes were necessary as the movie is a book adaptation and most of the book was Katniss' thoughts. The Gamemaker scenes explained the arena more.

Jenny B Haidi wrote: "Jenny wrote: "Sorry, but I have to agree with Jordan... She sucked. Not only that, but she didn't have a look I was expecting hollywood to select for Katniss. Katniss is supposed to be thin, not cu..."

But the gamemakers scenes didn't make it seem like a "game". The gamemakers scenes gave the appearance of the government looking weak & desperate and in book one, the government wasn't weak or desperate. It wasn't until book 2 that we saw just how delicate & fragile the hold on the districts was. So in all possibility they were setting the stage for movie 2. There were just other things I believe could have been highlighted or developed a little more, like how Katniss' father died or how her mother "abandoned" them in her grief or maybe how protective she was of Primrose.

Definitely should have gone further into Katniss' father's death & her mothers depression, otherwise movie watchers won't understand the friction & tension between herself & her mom. Just a thought.

Angie Elle Jenny wrote: "Haidi wrote: "Jenny wrote: "Sorry, but I have to agree with Jordan... She sucked. Not only that, but she didn't have a look I was expecting hollywood to select for Katniss. Katniss is supposed to b..."

I agree with that. If you hadn't read the book, I don't think you would've gotten the meaning behind the tension with her mother at all.

message 31: by Cat (new) - rated it 5 stars

Cat You guys don't relize why they choose her. Have you read the the movie companion? They explain it in there. read it your understand. I love Jennifer!

message 32: by Anna (new) - rated it 3 stars

Anna Ember wrote: "I think she seemed to old and stiff to be Katniss and didn't portray her very well"

She didn't seem very emotional when Gale came to say goodbye however all of sudden she was really clingy and miserable when she said goodbye to her little sister Prim, it seemed like Gale didn't matter as much as her little sister did..he basically grew up with her and helped and hunted with her...excuse me...!!

Paige Graciekat wrote: "I loooooved Jennifer as Katniss! She was the perfect look for Katniss... I have aways imagined Katniss as a strong person and Jennifer is one. I loved the way Jennifer portrayed Katniss... Her acti..."

YES!!!

Pauline Jennifer lawrence showed no emotion when she saw Peeta portray his love or when she layed with him in the cave or any other parts.