Urban Fantasy series' discussion

General > An African American heroines?

Comments Showing 1-40 of 40 (40 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Geli (new)

Geli (cherrygeli) So I'm a huge fan of urban fantasy and paranormal romances but as an African American Im dying to find a book in that category with a black hero. occasionally I run into ones who are Spanish or native American which its great but I would just like one I could really identify with. Does anyone know of any at all?

message 2: by Katherine (new)

Katherine (masquerader888) | 14 comments Just as a side note, you might want to fix your subject title to be heroine and not heroin.

heroine:
1.a woman of distinguished courage or ability, admired for her brave deeds and noble qualities.
the principal female character in a story, play, film, etc.

Heroin:
noun Pharmacology .
a white, crystalline, narcotic powder, C 21 H 23 NO 5 , derived from morphine, formerly used as an analgesic and sedative: manufacture and importation of heroin are now controlled by federal law in the U.S. because of the danger of addiction.

message 3: by Katherine (new)

Katherine (masquerader888) | 14 comments And I just realized I could have come across as a spelling/grammar zealot, which was no my intent. I often have this same spelling error in my reviews and have to double check to make sure I don't post it that way (I don't always catch them, and then I have a *head-desk* moment when I re-read. I was only trying to help. Sorry if I came across wrong.

message 4: by ☀Rachael☀ (new)

☀Rachael☀ (jimbunni) I haven't read them but I think Seressia Glass's Shadowchasers novels have a black female lead!

message 5: by Geli (new)

Geli (cherrygeli) Katherine wrote: "And I just realized I could have come across as a spelling/grammar zealot, which was no my intent. I often have this same spelling error in my reviews and have to double check to make sure I don't..."

Its cool. I'm using a smart phone and predictive text didn't always get it right.

message 6: by Geli (new)

Geli (cherrygeli) Rachael wrote: "I haven't read them but I think Seressia Glass's Shadowchasers novels have a black female lead!"

Thanks I'll check it out! :-)

message 7: by D.J (new)

message 8: by [deleted user] (new)

My book actually has two African-American herionies. One sister is vampire the other is not. It will be a series too and it is an urban fantasy. ;)
Soul Sisters by Janiera Eldridge

message 9: by Geli (new)

Geli (cherrygeli) Thanks! I actually was just reading about that Janiera. I'll definitely check it out!

And thank you Danielle!

message 10: by Geli (new)

Geli (cherrygeli) Thanks everyone for you're suggestions. They actually helped lead me to other books too! Excited to start reading now!

message 11: by [deleted user] (new)

Janiera wrote: "My book actually has two African-American herionies. One sister is vampire the other is not. It will be a series too and it is an urban fantasy. ;)
When the Soul Mends A Novel (Sisters of the Quilt, #3) by Cindy Woodsmall"

If you read it, I hope you enjoy! :)

message 12: by Susan (new)

Susan | 7 comments Rachael wrote: "I haven't read them but I think Seressia Glass's Shadowchasers novels have a black female lead!"

I read one of the books in this series and it was pretty good.

message 13: by ☀Rachael☀ (new)

☀Rachael☀ (jimbunni) Cool I've got 3 of them on my TBR pile!

message 14: by Ivy (new)

Ivy Deluca (poisonivy70) | 5 comments Shelly Laurenston regularly has several books that feature an African-American heroine, as well as other ethnicities. She also writes under the name G.A. Aiken. Picked up one of her books and I went through them like crack. Pretty funny.

message 15: by Geli (new)

Geli (cherrygeli) Ivy wrote: "Shelly Laurenston regularly has several books that feature an African-American heroine, as well as other ethnicities. She also writes under the name G.A. Aiken. Picked up one of her books and I w..."

Awesome!! Totally looking her up! Thanks so most!!

message 16: by Ivy (new)

Ivy Deluca (poisonivy70) | 5 comments Geli wrote: "Ivy wrote: "Shelly Laurenston regularly has several books that feature an African-American heroine, as well as other ethnicities. She also writes under the name G.A. Aiken. Picked up one of her b..."

You're welcome! She focuses mostly on shapeshifters as Laurenston and a completely alternate universe as Aiken. But I love that she's one of the rare women who write heroines with different ethnicities yet relatable no matter the color of their skin. :)

message 17: by Geli (new)

Geli (cherrygeli) Ivy wrote: "Geli wrote: "Ivy wrote: "Shelly Laurenston regularly has several books that feature an African-American heroine, as well as other ethnicities. She also writes under the name G.A. Aiken. Picked up..."

Yes that's exactly what i'm, looking for!

message 18: by Rose (new)

Rose (lucidrose) I'm not sure if this is what you're looking for, but Fledgling is a really great book with an African-American heroine. I'm not too sure I'd call it Urban Fantasy, but it is about vampires! :)

message 19: by Kenya (new)

Kenya Wright My series has an african american heroine. Fire Baptized (Habitat, #1) by Kenya Wright The Burning Bush (Habitat, #2) by Kenya Wright

This is a book I am currently reading that has an african american heroine.
Superheroes Wear Faded Denim by Law Reigns

message 20: by Kenya (new)

Kenya Wright Janiera wrote: "Janiera wrote: "My book actually has two African-American herionies. One sister is vampire the other is not. It will be a series too and it is an urban fantasy. ;)
When the Soul Mends A Novel (Sisters of the Quilt, #3) by Cindy Woodsmall"

If you..."

I didn't know you wrote that book! I'll tbr it!

Danielle The Book Huntress (Wants to Read More) (gatadelafuente) Darwin's Children has an AA heroine. It's YA, just to warn you if you don't like YA books.

message 22: by Kenya (new)

Kenya Wright I have that on my TBR. Is it good Lady Danielle?

message 23: by J. (new)

J. | 10 comments I'm fairly new to Good Reads but I am an author of urban fantasy. I have read the Fledgling and The Vampire Huntress.
My series which my link is below is pretty much all black. The heroine is an angel, there are vampyre, werewolves, witches, demons and more. It's interesting to me, that I am discovering woman are looking for the UF genres but it doesn't seem enough. Please check out my FB page.

http://facebook.com/pages/pure-blood-...

I also offer the 2nd book in my series Pure Blood, The Immortals on Smashwords.com for FREE.
It's good to know we are out here and growing.

message 24: by [deleted user] (new)

Mostly women read urban fantasy lol you will surely see after more time on Goodreads.

message 25: by J. (new)

J. | 10 comments That is good to hear because it is very frosty out on the streets trying to sell the idea. I'm dropping my 5th installment of my series later this year. Thank goodness I'm resilient.

message 26: by Erika (new)

Erika (dailyreader41) | 1 comments I enjoyed the LA Banks Vampire Huntress Series. Her characters are African American. I have the Crimson Moon series on my TBR list. This author actually passed away last year but the Vampire Huntress Series was finished before then.

Nenia ✨ I yeet my books back and forth ✨ Campbell (neniacampbell) Patricia McKillip has this awesome-looking sci-fi series called Moon-Flash with a black female protag. I haven't read it yet, so I can't vouch for it, but the plot is certainly intriguing!

Also, try Octavia E. Butler's Fledgling. It's a high-brow UF with a black vampire protag. Actually, anything by Ms. Butler is pretty good, including her Xenogenesis trilogy and Parable of the Sower.

Hope that helps!

message 28: by Kenya (new)

Kenya Wright Three Parts Dead by Max Gladstone

I have the ARC of this one, so far its okay.

message 29: by Michael (new)

Michael Superpowers count as paranormal, right? I've read Asleep (Asleep, #1) by Wendy Raven McNair and I liked it a lot, I actually bought it from the author at a book signing! It's a trilogy so I'm looking forward to the other books. It's Young Adult, FYI.

message 30: by [deleted user] (last edited Dec 03, 2012 05:45PM) (new)

Kenya wrote: "Janiera wrote: "Janiera wrote: "My book actually has two African-American herionies. One sister is vampire the other is not. It will be a series too and it is an urban fantasy. ;)
[bookcover:Soul S..."

omg, sorry i'm just seeing this. LOL. Yup, i wrote it and the sequel is out now. Thank you for adding it to your TBR list! That book cover is wrong though but my books is Soul Sisters lol I'm so happy to see more A-A heroines on the market!

message 31: by [deleted user] (new)

Michael wrote: "Superpowers count as paranormal, right? I've read Asleep (Asleep, #1) by Wendy Raven McNair and I liked it a lot, I actually bought it from the author at a book signing! It's a trilogy so I'm looking forward to..."
looks good i will be adding it!

message 32: by Kenya (new)

Kenya Wright deleted user wrote: "Kenya wrote: "Janiera wrote: "Janiera wrote: "My book actually has two African-American herionies. One sister is vampire the other is not. It will be a series too and it is an urban fantasy. ;)
[bo..."

I definetly got to get into it!

message 33: by A.J. (new)

A.J. Locke (ajlocke) | 3 comments I've felt the same way about urban fantasy so I was happy to add a black heroine to the mix with my debut novel, Affairs of the Dead. Would love to see more diversity in the genre.

message 34: by Karen (new)

Karen | 4 comments Erika wrote: "I enjoyed the LA Banks Vampire Huntress Series. Her characters are African American. I have the Crimson Moon series on my TBR list. This author actually passed away last year but the Vampire Huntre..."

LA Banks series was incredible. I was heartbroken when I realized she passed away last year. RIP LA Banks - you shared an incredible gift with us while you were here...

message 35: by A. (new)

A. Collins (ayaminacolliins) My novel, The Last King ( Book I, Volume # 2) by A.Yamina Collins The Last King, has both a african-america female lead (dark-skinned, by the way) and a black male lead. It's about a group of immortals called Edenites whose immortality is considered stolen by God, because their ancestors walked into the Garden of Eden and ate from the Tree of Life.

Because they refuse to return their stolen immorality, God decides to play a cosmic chess game with them. He sends each Edenite a Glitch - a human being whose job it is to retrieve the Edenites immorality and kill them off.

My main black lead, Dr. Gilead Knightly, meets his Glitch, Emmy Hughes, in upstate New York 2014. All he has to do is kill Emmy to win his "war" against God.

Problem is, Emmy proves to not only be Gilead's greatest enemy, but also his greatest love....

One reviewer said they enjoyed my book as much as LA Banks series. Sadly, I've never read LA. Banks before. And my next book read is Americanah - which is decidedly NOT an urban fantasy book.

Ah, well.

message 36: by Geli (new)

Geli (cherrygeli) Sounds great thanks!!!!!

message 37: by A. (new)

A. Collins (ayaminacolliins) Geli wrote: "Sounds great thanks!!!!!"

You're welcome. If you give me your e-mail, I will send you a free digital copy of episode #5 of the book -it's an episodic novel, you see. All the best, and happy Thanksgiving.

Yamina

message 38: by Kirsten (new)

Kirsten  (kmcripn) I think LA Banks' heroine is African-American

message 39: by Ana (new)

Ana (literaryxqueen) I've literally never read a fantasy novel with a black hero/ heroin. Which is literally why I'm writing one. Sucked being a teen and not having a single book from my fave genre where the character looked like me/ came from my background

message 40: by Moonyani (new)

Moonyani Write | 10 comments Hot new Urban Fantasy series about music, with a Sci-Fi twist! 🔥🔥🔥 Book 2 of the Music Man series is now available!
Also available on Kindle Unlimited!
Book 1’s synopsis...
Jimmy is a runaway boy, saddened by the tragedies that have happened in his life. The only thing still keeping him motivated, is his love for music. He’s outside, practically freezing in the cold, until he knocks on a door. This door is the Music Man’s. Jimmy and the Music Man find out they share a passion for music. Cornelius then introduces Jimmy to his famous piano that’s in his attic. After playing a song that Cornelius wrote, the piano transports them to a magical parallel dimension. In this other dimension, Cornelius is a famous conductor and composer, who supposedly has an upcoming concert in the town of Harmony. However, there is another conductor, by the name of Hornsbury. And Hornsbury wants power.He is planning to possess the Harmonians, using his music.
No matter the cost......
https://www.amazon.com/gp/bookseries/...#