Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows (Harry Potter, #7) Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows discussion

Voldemort and Harry

Comments Showing 1-22 of 22 (22 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Rana Why didn't Harry die in the forest when Voldemort killed him?
and can Wizards avada kedavra themselves?

Shubham Read the book properly...

Rana I DID. read it so many times. if you did can you explain it properly please?

Samah Omg read the book, Dumbledore explains the whole thing in the next chapter. Read it.

Jenny Cobb wow, rude much? Just tell rana. it's not doing any harm. cause i didn't understand it either. everyone misses stuff whne they read.

Rana Jenny wrote: "wow, rude much? Just tell rana. it's not doing any harm. cause i didn't understand it either. everyone misses stuff whne they read."
Exactly! I mean Harry says "why didn't I die I didn't defend myself I was meant to die" and dumbeldore says "That explains it all" and then they talk about Lily's blood in Harry. besides there's a point that the elder wand doesn't work for Voldemort cause it's not for him. So I cannot get the main reason. If you did JUST TELL and stop asking me to read the book because I DID.

Jenny Cobb i know right.i read the book 2 and read over that very part over 3 times

Carina Do you remember in the previous books when Dumbledore tells Harry the fact this his mother died for him protects him? It is something to do with that but to be perfectly honest the reasoning behind it is not brilliant and has always struck me as thrown in at the last minute as the author became scared to kill off her main character. There is also the reasoning that Voldemort was using the Elder wand which never recognised Snape as its master - it recognised Draco instead and as such Harry is its master, and the Elder wand cannot be used to harm him because of this.

Hope this clears things up a little.

Rana Carina wrote: "Do you remember in the previous books when Dumbledore tells Harry the fact this his mother died for him protects him? It is something to do with that but to be perfectly honest the reasoning behind..."
yes! thanks (:

eilis Harry didn't die in the forest because when Voldemort cursed him he killed the horcrux (part of himself) that lived inside Harry, not Harry as a person.

Carina Rana wrote: "Carina wrote: "Do you remember in the previous books when Dumbledore tells Harry the fact this his mother died for him protects him? It is something to do with that but to be perfectly honest the r..."

Glad I could help :)

eilis Well at least, that's how I interpreted it.

Jenny Cobb thanks guys. totlly get it now

eilis Yay. I always hate it when you don't understand a book. I was like that with a Wrinle in Time. Took me forever to ge the whole "tesser" thing.

Jenny Cobb lol

eilis The stupid little diagrams totally didn't help.

message 17: by Anna (new) - rated it 5 stars

Anna Voldemort killed the horcrux inside of Harry, he didn't really kill him. That's why Harry was able to come back and kill Voldemort

message 18: by Hai (last edited Jun 14, 2012 05:51PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Hai hmm, I guess I'm late but here goes.

ok, the reason why He-who-must-not-be-named was unable to kill Harry as a child was because his mother's last wish was to protect her child from the Dark Lord, sacrificing herself in the process. Which in turn, created a very powerful charm to protect him from the killing curse, which rebounded and struck He-who-must-not-be-named instead, but because of his horcruxes, he didn't die. That charm was made of pure love.

Now, in the forest, Harry wished for the same thing. He wanted to protect everyone (himself included) from the Dark Lord. So that's why he went in, unarmed, and simply allowed the Dark Lord to kill him with not so much as a raised wand. The killing curse did it's job of killing something inside Harry. Which was the horcrux. But because Harry chose to sacrifice himself for the sake of everyone (remember, he didn't fight back) he also created that powerful charm which protects everyone from He-who-must-not-be-named.

This is the reason why he was able to withstand the Dark Lord's torture curse. Also, the reason why none of He-who-must-not-be-named's spells did any good during the final fight. It's also the reason why he died at the end when he used the killing curse on Harry. The exact same thing that happened when Harry was a child happened again, only this time, there were no horcruxes.

---

One other thing about the elder wand. The elder wand gives it's allegiance to whomever defeats the previous owner. The Dark Lord assumed that this was through death. But the wand only counts fights, anyone who can disarm the wielder becomes the new master. It went from Gregoivich to Grendel through theft, Grendel to Dumbledore though combat, Dumbledore to Draco Malfoy because he disarmed it from him before he died (The Dark Lord assumed it was Snape, only because he's the one who had killed him), and then from Malfoy to Harry, because Harry disarmed Malfoy in a duel (though, he was not using the elder wand in that match.)

That last part I've never been to clear on. because the elder wand isn't sentient, and it wasn't there at the fight, so how's it suppose to know it belongs to Harry now?

message 19: by Asnipiv (last edited Jun 30, 2012 03:09AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Asnipiv The reason why Harry did not die when hit by Vodemort's curse in the forest is clearly explained in the book.Pls read it carefully.
It is not because Harry sacrificed himself to protect everyone else(But this is the reason why Voldermort couldn't hurt others during the last battle,since harry sacrificed himself to protect them).In part 4(Goblet of fire)wormtail uses Harry's blood to resurrect Voldemort.Dumbledore explains to Harry that this created a special bond or something between Vodemort and Harry and while Voldemort lives Harry cannot die.But inorder for this to work ,Voldemort himself has to kill Harry.That is why Dumbledore had instructed snape to find and bring Harry to Voldemort at a time when Voldemort started to keep Nagini close by his side and Snape tried to do so before he was killed.So when Voldemort cursed Harry,Harry did not die.Instead the part of Voldemort's soul that was inside Harry was destroyed.
But they have left out this important point in the last movie and I couldn't understand why.

Ciara Rana wrote: "I DID. read it so many times. if you did can you explain it properly please?"

I will explain:

Harry did not die because:

Well, Voldemort made Horcruxes, right? So, when he went into Harry's home in Godric's Hollow and he could not kill Harry, Voldemort's body was destroyed, and a part of him needed to latch on to the closest living thing it could. That thing was Harry. So when Voldemort attempted to kill Harry, he only killed the bit of himself that was in Harry.

I hope that helps. :)

Kill the Spare Lollipop wrote: "Well at least, that's how I interpreted it."

yeah!..I think that's it too..According to me it had more to do with the Horocrux and Elder wand thing than Harry's mom!(more Horocrux than Elder wand)

message 22: by Rana (new) - rated it 5 stars

Rana Thank you guys! it all makes sense now!:D