Inheritance (The Inheritance Cycle, #4) Inheritance discussion

The Green Dragon Pointlessness.

Comments Showing 1-37 of 37 (37 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by David (last edited May 30, 2012 12:10PM) (new) - rated it 1 star

David They way this was handled in the series has always bothered me. Firnen, the green dragon, only gets one line of spoken dialogue and is pretty pointless . The Green Dragon and the rider should have been a more crucial part of the Inheritance Cycle. As it would have given the narrative a much needed focus and direction.

Coming at this from a fan's perspective. I knew it was going to be of dragon egg hatches per book deal, kind of like how one book in the Harry Potter series is one year at Hogwarts. It was going to be a definitive game changer in the series and have lasting consequences throughout the rest of the series as for who the green dragon egg would hatch for. Instead, I feel another wasted opportunity for actually interesting plot development.

Paolini has already written it so it can't be undone. I feel had he made this a bigger element it would have been a much better story. What are your thoughts on this matter?

Emma I agree, actually. Firnen should've have been a much bigger part of the story instead of "oh, then Arya got a dragon AND she's queen" and then no more. Well, yea, he made Saphira pregnant, but it didn't mean anything to any of the story, it didn't have any significance. You see the green dragon on the cover and think "uuuuhh! I can't wait to see what's gonna happen with that!" and then it's just kind.. blah. All flat.

message 3: by [deleted user] (new)

Good point. I never actually thought about it that way, but once I think about it, it does seem like a necessary feature that every series seems to have.

Danica Yeah. I wish it couldve hatched at the beginning. It wouldve been a better storyline. I am glad it was Arya who got the dragon though....

Holly Wolfe Yes, I agree completely though I love the story anyways. And, I have to disagree with Arya Svit-kona for I think the dragon should have hatched for Roran and not Arya.

message 6: by Joe (new) - rated it 5 stars

Joe I think that having Firnen hatch earlier in the story could have been a great idea - but adding another dragon would have made the story COMPLETELY different. The entire fourth book would have been dramatically changed. I do agree that it may have "given the narrative a much needed focus and direction" if done properly, however, to do that the story would have to have been much different (which isn't necessarily a bad thing, but there are also many other changes that Paolini could have done that would have made the story different and maybe better. I also disagree that a clearer focus and direction was "much needed" - a clearer focus may have helped the story, but there wasn't a complete lack of direction in the book.)

Also, it's not like one dragon was introduced per book and was vital to that book in the rest of the series. In Eragon, Saphira was born and Shruikan was introduced, although not seen until the final book. In Eldest, we meet Glaedr (although he is on the front of Brisingr), while we don't meet Thorn (who is on the cover of the book) until the very end. In Brisingr, we meet no new dragons - Glaedr's on the cover but we met him in Eldest.

In a way, I like having Firnen not hatch until the very end of the series. While I was expecting him to hatch before, his birth at the end of the series shows hope for the future of dragon-kind - and for the future of the Riders.

Badgerlord Wait, why don't you count getting the dwarves as allies, capturing cities, defeating a force of evil and rediscovering an almost lost species as progress? But also, I would much rather have skipped Firnen all together. As if Arya didn't already have enough problems/things going for her (depends on how you look at it).

Holly Wolfe Like I said before, I think Firnen should have hatched for Roran and not Arya.

Badgerlord Holly wrote: "Like I said before, I think Firnen should have hatched for Roran and not Arya."

Alternatively, Roran's kid.

Danica Holly wrote: "Yes, I agree completely though I love the story anyways. And, I have to disagree with Arya Svit-kona for I think the dragon should have hatched for Roran and not Arya."

Really? I think that Arya makes a great Rider! I wish that she and Eragon could've ruled Alagaesia together. I wish Vroengard was liveable because that would be sooooo great!

Danica I suppose that is a reason so many people didnt like her as the Rider.
The Menoa Tree?
honestly she is just a HUGE tree with an additude. I never did like her cuse of her taking somthing from Eragon. BUT not telling what the heck she took? Who does that? A good reason for the tree wanting Eragon to go is that Saphira kinda burned her and the tree has been known to have a temper and hold a grudge.
Uncontaminating Vroengard?
I suppose he COULD do it. But he still has to face the problem of Nausuada. She asked him to be the leader of the magic users group. He thought it would be a bad idea. Plus Doru Areba would be very hostile. Remember the creepy trees and the burrow grubs? All of the rubble? It would be a shade of the glory it once was. Glader and Umaroth would not sanction it.

message 12: by Holly (last edited Jun 03, 2012 05:19PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Holly Wolfe Badgerlord wrote:

Alternatively, Roran's kid."

I suppose. Besides, like you said before, Arya has enough going on for her. She doesn't seem to have the time for a dragon. I think, perhaps not Roran since he does have a family too, that the other Rider should have been someone that would be free to roam without the ties that Arya has or Roran. Maybe they could've spent some time with Eragon and Saphira and then went to roam Alagaesia. I think Roran would've been a better choice than Arya but perhaps not the ideal candidate. I just think Arya was a terrible choice.

Danica Roran wouldve been worse! How was he supposed to balance Katrina, the baby, and A Dragon? It doesnt make sense.

message 14: by Aquilus (last edited Jun 03, 2012 10:43PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Aquilus I had bigger expectations for the remaining egg, I will say. The last half of the series was a little disappointing. A large part of that disappointment came from constantly wondering "WHEN IS THE GREEN ONE GONNA HATCH?" (plus other..stuff).
While I don't think it terrible that Arya ended up being the rider (I like her, she put in the work, she kind of deserves it), part of me was hoping it would have been someone a little more...unpredictable. A dwarf, perhaps, would have been interesting. Or Elva (lol). Roran's kid, as some have already suggested. Vanir. *shrug* I would've been intrigued by a completely anonymous character. Mix it up a bit.

One thing I will say: I think it would have ruined Roran's entire character base to have been chosen. He was a completely normal, human character who could still have a huge impact. I really liked that about him. It had a grounding, humbling effect on the story for me, and I respected that.

Danica Yes. I can totally agree with Aquilus. Roran is HUMAN. keep him that way.

Badgerlord Aquilus wrote: "I had bigger expectations for the remaining egg, I will say. The last half of the series was a little disappointing. A large part of that disappointment came from constantly wondering "WHEN IS THE ..."

Elva as a rider. *Shivers uncontrollably*. As if she wasn't terrifying enough already.

Aquilus Badgerlord wrote: "Elva as a rider. *Shivers uncontrollably*. As if she wasn't terrifying enough already. "

Indeed. <<

Michaela David wrote: "They way this was handled in the series has always bothered me. Firnen, the green dragon, only gets one line of spoken dialogue and is pretty pointless . The Green Dragon and the rider should have ..."

I enjoy your discussions the best out of the others, but don't you think that for a 'fan' you're being a little hard on the creativity Paolini slaved over? he literally gave half his life for it!

I do agree with you on this though. Firnen should have been a bigger deal. if you could change it, since you seem to have an idea or to how to improve it, what would you change, and where in the book would you put it without making the book insufferably long and repetitive? i'd love to hear this. I like writing myself, and telling me might help later on :)

Michaela David wrote: "Michaela wrote: "David wrote: "They way this was handled in the series has always bothered me. Firnen, the green dragon, only gets one line of spoken dialogue and is pretty pointless . The Green Dr..."

Yes, i was totally exaggerating, which i tend to do when i get excited :) I think playing up the capture of the egg would have been fantastic!

Developing a relationship would add feeling, but i think his goal was to write an intense series, and the deepest he went into touchy-feely was eragon's speculation about the creation of the world and belief in gods and godless vs. a single entity (which i enjoyed immensely) but that might have thrown it into a younger age group and taken away from the intensity of betrayal in eldest. unless it happened before the whole betrayal, then it would hurt that much more.

Training firnen would be an idea to bring in. Maybe in a stand-alone novel (like you mentioned in your other discussion) Paolini might speak from the dragons point of view, and show the training in intense detail. that is a book i would love to read.

Galbatorix could have used it for negotiation, but what could he gain? he honestly thought he had it all, except the "word"

These ideas are great! it's really fun to talk to someone whose eyes don't glaze over :)

This is a random thought, but wouldn't it be cool if paolini saw this discussion and made a decision based on what we wrote? that would blow a mind or two :D

Michaela David wrote: "Michaela wrote: "David wrote: "Michaela wrote: "David wrote: "They way this was handled in the series has always bothered me. Firnen, the green dragon, only gets one line of spoken dialogue and is ..."

you are right about that. sometimes i forget that Eragon's age affects his reasoning, and that he's not really looking at the big picture, one of the things he worked through later.

Danica Do you think that the outcome of Eragon and Arya would've been different if Firnen had hatched at the beginning of the book somehow?

message 22: by David (new) - rated it 1 star

David Probably. The way Saphira describes how their mental bond affects both of them when he's flirting with Trianna makes it most certainly indeed. Even before this book was released it was a given that these two dragons were going to mate. Thus passing those feelings down between Eragon and Arya.

Jessy Jones I didn't read all of the comment, but I'd have to agree that Ismira (Roran's daughter) would have been a better choice. Of course, this would have had to take place many years later, which I think is why Paolini chose not to choose Ismira. Roran is NOT a good choice...his character is already very well developed, and becoming a Rider would have conflicted with him and knocked everything off balance. I think, under the circumstances, that Arya was probably the best choice. There wasn't really anyone else available without having to wait years to let Fírnen hatch, which would have totally mussed the ending. I still think that Ismira should become a Dragon Rider...though it would have been awesome if she could have been the 3rd, because of who Roran became (Stronghammer). All in the family lol...

Natalie Elva as a rider? I would give ANYTHING to read about it!
I'd be very happy, if Ismira became rider. Or... I don't know, maybe Nasuada's and Murtagh's child? ;)
Ech. That would be too perfect.

message 25: by Jessy (last edited Aug 03, 2012 12:54PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Jessy Jones Natalie wrote: "Elva as a rider? I would give ANYTHING to read about it!
I'd be very happy, if Ismira became rider. Or... I don't know, maybe Nasuada's and Murtagh's child? ;)
Ech. That would be too perfect."

Wow I hadnt even thought of Elva...but I think she's too dark to be a rider. Not that she's evil...just dark. And her ability from Eragon's would-be blessing would make her too dangerous, I think.

And I hadn't even thought about Murtagh and Nasuada having a child in the first place...the only way that would happen would be if Murtagh comes back before Nasuada grows old or dies; or if Nasuada somehow gains some sort of immortality, like the elves' and the Riders', and Murtagh comes back at some point. If they did end up having a child though, I wouldn't object to his/her becoming a Rider! Morzan was evil, Murtagh was forced to be evil but good at heart, and then his child could be known for being good, as Murtagh had wanted for himself...that would be quite interesting.

Danica Eragon said to Nasuada himself that he could not make her immortal. He said he could make her live longer but not immortal.

Jessy Jones Arya Svit-kona wrote: "Eragon said to Nasuada himself that he could not make her immortal. He said he could make her live longer but not immortal."

Yah, that's why I said "somehow". Of course, living longer than normal could help, but it still wouldn't work very well. Even say Murtagh comes back within a couple years and marries Nasuada...still, imagine him staying young and them knowing that he might possibly live until the end of the world, and her growing old and eventually dying. That wouldn't exactly be a pleasant situation for them. Probably the only way for them to work would be if Nasuada became a Rider herself...but with her being the high queen of Alagaësia, that wouldn't work either, unless she gave that up...which also doesn't seem right, or even very likely. I would be for them getting together if some solution could be found, though.

Danica Well remember, Murtagh has the true name of the ancient language, which has got to help. Im sure they could come up with something with all those Eldunari

Jessy Jones Arya Svit-kona wrote: "Well remember, Murtagh has the true name of the ancient language, which has got to help. Im sure they could come up with something with all those Eldunari"

True. If Paolini writes more books, I hope they do!

Danica he left the last book with so many ways to continue. itll be cool to see what happens!

message 31: by Jessy (last edited Aug 09, 2012 11:42AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Jessy Jones Arya Svit-kona wrote: "he left the last book with so many ways to continue. itll be cool to see what happens!"

Agreed!! I've heard that he's planning on writing a follow-up-type 3-book series...do you know if that's true or not?

Danica I have no idea. I havent seen anything on Shurtugal.com or Alagaesia.com. Where did you hear that?

Jessy Jones Arya Svit-kona wrote: "I have no idea. I havent seen anything on Shurtugal.com or Alagaesia.com. Where did you hear that?"

That's the problem...I don't remember!! Well, I guess we'll just have to wait and see, right...

Shawn Evans Emma wrote: "I agree, actually. Firnen should've have been a much bigger part of the story instead of "oh, then Arya got a dragon AND she's queen" and then no more. Well, yea, he made Saphira pregnant, but it d..." not every single word of a book has to have significance emma when garrows house was first described was that in any way significant it was gonna get destroyed any way regardless of what it looked like some things are written in books as page fillers

Barely Breathing Banana I love those ideas! It would be great to recreate the Inheritance cycle following mainly the second one. Alagaesia would be ruled by G and his two minions, Murtaugh and noname, then when G dies, the two go against one another to take the throne for themselves! After an epic battle to the death, Shruikan's Eldunari kills them all (including the dragons) because he doesn't want another Galbatorix to rule for the next 3 billion years. What we dont know is that the dragons of noname and Murtaugh have a child egg (we'll pretend Firnin is female for the sake of this plot.) Enter innocent bypasser, and let the series continue.

That's true though, Firnin did next to nothing, other than hatch for Arya, and possibly impregnate Saphira. I was hoping for much more, considering when Thorn and Glaedr were on the cover of their books, so much more happened (Thorn fought Saphira, Glaedr taught Saphira, Firnin sought Saphira...'s love XD see what i did there?)

Bookninja4 MAking Roran a dragon would actually defeat the purpose of the character. As Katrina said, he's a better warrior than all of them becuase he walks into the battle without magic or a dragon. It makes him much more of a noble warrior to fight alone then fighting with a dragon ever could.

Barely Breathing Banana I was actually hoping the Green dragon would hatch for Elva, or maybe Rorans' daughter. I figured we needed a new dragon rider, not just one we dont know much about, but one who has problems. It would create tension and an uneasy balance between the dragon riders, especially if it were elva seeing as she probably suffered most in the book, next to Sloan.