What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

Dumbstruck
This topic is about Dumbstruck
SOLVED: Children's/YA > SOLVED. Purple cover early/mid 90s kids possibly in wacky orphanage? [s]

Comments Showing 1-14 of 14 (14 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Amy (new)

Amy REALLY hazy on the details, but I checked it out of the library at least ten times in my youth and now I can't find it. The cover is purple, there is either a word in the title that starts with "P" or the author's last name starts with a "P". There is a girl on the cover (maybe with red hair) and a few other images, I believe they were placed around the edges of the cover around the title. I think at one point the children are in a horrible type orphanage and they plot to escape...maybe?? Help!

message 2: by Sheila (last edited May 30, 2012 11:53AM) (new)

Sheila (sheilareads) | 100 comments This is probably a huge long shot. Was it an old book--from the '50s? It reminds me a bit of Nancy and Plum.

message 3: by Amy (new)

Amy It's not Sheila, but this sounds fun! I love Betty MacDonald. Thanks for the help :)

message 4: by LauraW (new)

LauraW (lauralynnwalsh) | 374 comments Another long shot, but the cover seems to have a girl with red hair and is kind of purplish. No letter P, though. lol.

Linnets and Valerians by Elizabeth Goudge

message 5: by Amy (last edited Jun 17, 2012 09:29PM) (new)

Amy Nope, Laura, not that one either! But I have also been eyeing that one. The one I am thinking of was a hardbound in the 90s, so probably published later than that. Y'all are awesome for trying though!

message 6: by Ka (new)

Ka | 10 comments Well, Tamora Pierce's "Song of the Lioness" quartet came out in, I think, the late 80s, and has a female protag with red hair. I think it's pretty unlikely though as this one is about a girl who crossdresses to become a knight and hasn't got any orphanages. Can you recall anything else about the plot? :/

message 7: by Amy (last edited Jun 17, 2012 09:29PM) (new)

Amy It's not by Tamora Pierce...so hazy on the details! And to think I must have read it so often but forgotten it all. I think the proprietor of the orphanage was a heavy set man with a dark mustache and he may have also been on the cover??

message 8: by Amy (new)

Amy Or maybe not an orphanage exactly but a children's home of some sort.

message 9: by [deleted user] (new)

a long shot, but is it A Hat Full Of Sky by Terry Pratchett?

message 10: by Amy (new)

Amy Nope, not that one, but thank you for trying!

message 11: by Brenda (new)

Brenda | 147 comments Another long shot For Sale: One Brother For Sale One Brother by Patti Stren

message 12: by Amy (new)

Amy Nope! But thank you, good try with Patti! I'm pretty confident there is a "P" in either the title or the author's last name. And the main character, the girl, has a young male companion I think.

message 13: by Amy (new)

Amy Found it!!! Dumbstruck by Sara Pennypacker. Got a few of the details right and a few wrong, it's funny what my brain does to fill in the gaps. Thanks everyone for your help!

http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/43...

message 14: by Rainbowheart (new)

Rainbowheart | 19013 comments Dumbstruck for the trackable link.