Writers and Readers discussion

Questions about Goodreads

Comments Showing 1-45 of 45 (45 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by A.F. (new)

A.F. (scribe77) | 1777 comments Mod
If you are confused, need site help or are new to Goodreads, feel free to ask a question. No guarantees I can answer, but I'll probably be able to steer you to someone who can.

message 2: by Linda (new)

Linda Juliano | 17 comments I have a question about my ad campaign. My ad has been up for a week, yet I have no views or clicks. I understand no clicks yet, but no views? Is it even really running. I can't figure out how to deal with this, and the "help" site isn't very user friendly.
If you can answer this for me, or anyone can, i'd really appreciate it. Thanks so much for trying. ;)

message 3: by A.F. (new)

Linda wrote: "I have a question about my ad campaign. My ad has been up for a week, yet I have no views or clicks. I understand no clicks yet, but no views? Is it even really running. I can't figure out how to d..."

I can't say I know much about their ad program, but have you tried sending them some feedback? It could be a glitch, or they might have some helpful suggestions?

What book is the the ad for?

message 4: by Linda (new)

Linda Juliano | 17 comments I did finally figure out how to send them feedback and am awaiting a response. Thank you! It seems every day is a learning experience for anything online. I'm so tech challenged, but getting better. ;) Thanks again A.F. for responding. ;) You can always be counted on.

message 5: by A.F. (new)

Linda wrote: "I did finally figure out how to send them feedback and am awaiting a response. Thank you! It seems every day is a learning experience for anything online. I'm so tech challenged, but getting better..."

Tech can be challenging. I'm just glad there's Google and the tech forums or I'd never figure out anything.

message 6: by Nancy (new)

Nancy Hartney I have a book scheduled for publication 2013. With all of the confusion over posting, advertising, and feeds I am question the advantage in using GoodReads as part of my ad campaign. What has been the experience of others with (1) posting their ad; and, (2) getting feedback on their book? Nancy

message 7: by Kevin (new)

Kevin (kevinhallock) | 60 comments I'm also curious about everyone's experience with Goodreads' ads. How effective are they?

message 8: by A.F. (new)

Nancy wrote: "I have a book scheduled for publication 2013. With all of the confusion over posting, advertising, and feeds I am question the advantage in using GoodReads as part of my ad campaign. What has been ..."

I found an interesting post on using Goodreads ads: http://www.lindsayburoker.com/book-ma...

message 9: by Linda (new)

Linda Juliano | 17 comments You've been helpful in the past, so here comes another question. I want to upload my video trailer on my author page, but don't want to become a librarian. I thought I could post on the librarian group page asking them to do it, but it's not working (probably me!). Suggestions? Am I taking the right path to accomplish this uploading of the book trailer? Thanks for any help you have to offer. ;)

message 10: by A.F. (new)

Linda wrote: "You've been helpful in the past, so here comes another question. I want to upload my video trailer on my author page, but don't want to become a librarian. I thought I could post on the librarian g..."

If you have an author page, and not a regular profile, you should be able to upload a video yourself. I added one the other day by clicking the "add one now" link under videos.

message 11: by Kevin (new)

Kevin (kevinhallock) | 60 comments Thanks for the link to the blog! It is hard to tell what does and doesn't work for advertising.

message 12: by Chris (new)

Chris Eboch (chriseboch) A.F. wrote: If you have an author page, and not a regular profile, you should be able to upload a video yourself. I added one the other day by clicking the "add one now" link under videos. "

I'll just note that I have an author page, but sometimes I have trouble getting to it – I always have to poke around a while on my profile until I get to my author page from my regular stuff. There's probably a simple way, but I just click on things until I find what I'm looking for.

message 13: by Linda (new)

Linda Juliano | 17 comments Thank you!! It worked just fine! I was making this so much harder than I had to. Typical. LOL
But thank you A.F. ;) Once again.

message 14: by P.J. (new)

P.J. Roscoe | 51 comments Hello there, I am new to the site - I am an author and have posted the first three chapters and prologue on my page - is it allowed to put my whole book onto the site for people to buy or are the books advertised to buy and read from published by publisher authors only? My book is available on Amazon and Kindle, but can't find any information about it - any help from more knowledgable people? Computers to me are like a new language!! Thanks in advance x

message 15: by A.F. (new)

P.j wrote: "Hello there, I am new to the site - I am an author and have posted the first three chapters and prologue on my page - is it allowed to put my whole book onto the site for people to buy or are the b..."

Books need to be added to the site. You should see an "add books" link above your bookshelf. Click it and then click the "manually add a book" link on the next page. After that you should see a form page and you just fill in the blanks that pertain to you and upload a cover picture.

I also checked out your profile, and I noticed you don't have a Goodreads author profile. I advise you to get one.

You can check out the help section as well: http://www.goodreads.com/help
It's a nice overview of how the site works.

message 16: by Nancy (new)

Nancy Hartney Thanks for the feedback.I am reading everything with great interest.

message 17: by Marlene (new)

Marlene (marleneincolorado) | 2 comments I was watching an interview with Barbara Kingsolver from yesterday, paused it for a phone call, and when I came back it was gone. Now I can't find it again. Help?

message 18: by A.F. (new)

Marlene wrote: "I was watching an interview with Barbara Kingsolver from yesterday, paused it for a phone call, and when I came back it was gone. Now I can't find it again. Help?"

Was this on the Goodreads site? Was it part of a special event or was it on her profile? And if you don't clear your browser history everyday, you might want to check there.

message 19: by A.F. (new)

Marlene wrote: "I was watching an interview with Barbara Kingsolver from yesterday, paused it for a phone call, and when I came back it was gone. Now I can't find it again. Help?"

I had a sudden thought after I left the last reply and I checked the Goodreads blog. I think I found your interview: http://www.goodreads.com/blog/show/39...
Just click the link on the page for the archived chat.

message 20: by Marlene (new)

Marlene (marleneincolorado) | 2 comments Thank you, that is just the right thing!

message 21: by Toni (new)

Toni Bunnell (tonibunnell) | 27 comments Kevin wrote: "Thanks for the link to the blog! It is hard to tell what does and doesn't work for advertising." Yes, I would love to know the best way to advertise my books. Published 3 on Kindle and, at the moment, just posting the odd mention on Amazon's MOA forum or my new Fb page which, by the way , is to do with anything creative in case you'd like to have a look at it or request a friend and add things to it; you're very welcome to do this:https://www.facebook.com/pages/Inspir...

message 22: by Toni (new)

Toni Bunnell (tonibunnell) | 27 comments https://www.facebook.com/pages/Inspir... Sorry - here's the link again

message 23: by A.F. (last edited Jul 17, 2013 07:05AM) (new)

Mick wrote: "Hi I`m new to this group and like many others find the prospect of posting stuff daunting. Goodreads can be a confusing site with so many discussion groups and featured writers.
The problem I`m..."

Where exactly on Goodreads did you find the book you mentioned?

message 24: by Hannah (new)

Hannah (hannah_mayj) Hi all, I have a little request (and after going through all the threads this seemed most logical).
I'm conducting a short survey for a university study on social cataloguing for books (aka Goodreads!) and was hoping you'd all help me out by completing it.
I can't offer you anything if you do, except my most heartfelt thanks and deepest appreciations for helping a girl out.
It should only take 5-10 minutes, so if you can click through the link below:
https://www.surveymonkey.com/s/RFLW5SK

And feel free to share this across social media and with all your book loving friends.

P.S. If its not appropriate to post this here please delete/let me know.

message 25: by A.F. (new)

Hannah wrote: "Hi all, I have a little request (and after going through all the threads this seemed most logical).
I'm conducting a short survey for a university study on social cataloguing for books (aka Goodre..."

It's fine to post here, but you're also welcome to post this as a new topic in the Readers, or Writers, Folder as well. You might get more views that way.

message 26: by Melissa (new)

Melissa Veracruz (melissaveracruz) | 7 comments Hannah wrote: "Hi all, I have a little request (and after going through all the threads this seemed most logical).
I'm conducting a short survey for a university study on social cataloguing for books (aka Goodre..."

Great survey. Will share!

message 27: by Thayer (last edited Oct 29, 2014 08:43AM) (new)

Thayer Berlyn | 45 comments Greetings! I hope I am in the right thread. I need the assistance of a GR librarian to update the cover of one of my books. Anyone here a librarian who could help me? Thanks!

The Evangeline Heresy

Amazon link: http://www.amazon.com/Honey-Witch-Got...

message 28: by A.F. (new)

Thayer wrote: "Greetings! I hope I am in the right place. I need the assistance of a GR librarian to update the cover of one of my books. Anyone here a librarian who could help me? Thanks!

[book:The Evangeline..."

What do you need updated?

message 29: by Thayer (new)

Thayer Berlyn | 45 comments A.F. wrote: "Thayer wrote: "Greetings! I hope I am in the right place. I need the assistance of a GR librarian to update the cover of one of my books. Anyone here a librarian who could help me? Thanks!

[book..."

Hi. :) The cover. I changed the title back to the original and the cover needs to be updated on the page to match the book on Amazon. I was able to update the title on the GR page, but not the cover.

message 30: by A.F. (new)

Thayer wrote: "A.F. wrote: "Thayer wrote: "Greetings! I hope I am in the right place. I need the assistance of a GR librarian to update the cover of one of my books. Anyone here a librarian who could help me? T..."

I should be able to change the cover but I'll need a copy of the new cover photo to upload.

message 31: by Thayer (new)

Thayer Berlyn | 45 comments A.F. wrote: "Thayer wrote: "A.F. wrote: "Thayer wrote: "Greetings! I hope I am in the right place. I need the assistance of a GR librarian to update the cover of one of my books. Anyone here a librarian who c..."

Thank you so much. I didn't know if one could get the copy of the new cover off of Amazon, hence the link, but if you need a jpeg image sent separately, I can do that as well.

message 32: by A.F. (new)

Thayer wrote: "A.F. wrote: "Thayer wrote: "A.F. wrote: "Thayer wrote: "Greetings! I hope I am in the right place. I need the assistance of a GR librarian to update the cover of one of my books. Anyone here a li..."

I'd prefer to have a separate jpeg image; just send me a message here and I'll give you my email.

message 33: by Thayer (new)

Thayer Berlyn | 45 comments Much appreciation! It turned out very well. :)

message 34: by A.F. (new)

Thayer wrote: "Much appreciation! It turned out very well. :)"

You're welcome.

message 35: by S.J. (new)

S.J. Brown | 24 comments There are 2 books on my dashboard that are not mine. How do I get them off there?

message 36: by A.F. (new)

S.J. wrote: "There are 2 books on my dashboard that are not mine. How do I get them off there?"

Probably the best option is to contact Goodreads and request the two books be unlinked to your profile.

message 37: by Sarah (new)

Sarah Yoon (sarahlyoon) I just joined both Goodreads and this group, and I've been searching for information on adding books into the database--I have an Ebook coming out soon and I'm still deciding if I'll put it up on Amazon. Is it possible to manually add it to Goodreads if it doesn't have an ISBN or an ASIN?

Thanks!

message 38: by A.F. (new)

Sarah wrote: "I just joined both Goodreads and this group, and I've been searching for information on adding books into the database--I have an Ebook coming out soon and I'm still deciding if I'll put it up on A..."

The isbn/asin field is not denoted as required when adding a book, so I believe you can add a book without one.

message 39: by Sarah (new)

Sarah Yoon (sarahlyoon) A.F. wrote: "Sarah wrote: "I just joined both Goodreads and this group, and I've been searching for information on adding books into the database--I have an Ebook coming out soon and I'm still deciding if I'll ..."

That is fantastic news. Thanks so much, really appreciate it.

Suzanne (winterscribbler) Cole (winterscribbler) | 7 comments Hey just a quick question, don't know if anyone can help me out. I've been trying to post in the blurbs but it's telling me I need to verify my email, not quite sure how to do this now.
Any help appreciated.Thanks.

message 41: by A.F. (new)

Suzanne (winterscribbler) wrote: "Hey just a quick question, don't know if anyone can help me out. I've been trying to post in the blurbs but it's telling me I need to verify my email, not quite sure how to do this now.
Any help ap..."

I did a bit of checking, and it may be your settings need changing. This is what I found about a verify email message on Goodreads:

To verify your email address, go to your "edit profile" page and select the "settings" tab. If your email address isn't verified, you'll see a red message next to it - click "re-send verification email".

Suzanne (winterscribbler) Cole (winterscribbler) | 7 comments Thanks, much appreciated. Your doing a great job of managing this whole group.

message 43: by Bonnie (new)

Bonnie Ferrante (bonnieferrante) | 23 comments In which thread should I post a request on feedback for illustrations on a picture book in progress?

message 44: by A.F. (new)

Bonnie wrote: "In which thread should I post a request on feedback for illustrations on a picture book in progress?"

Within this group we have the Writers thread for any sort of writerly request; you can post a topic there. Also, there's the new Beta Readers folder (designed for WIP) and there is a Critiques thread in the Readers Nook.

message 45: by Laura (new)

Laura I'm Laura, 20 years old and from Denmark. I love modern contemporary writers like Murakami.
Can anyone help me finding a co-writer as a hobby project? The genre is negotiable (except erotica and zombie-apocalypse) and nothing is planned yet - we will figure everything out together. The brainstorm and chapter-exchange will be on e-mail - except you got a better communication form?
Best regards, Laura :-)