The Sword and Laser discussion

What Else Are You Reading? > Movies that inspired you to read the book

Comments Showing 1-15 of 15 (15 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by steve (new)

steve (skiser) | 3 comments ok, just a quick background here. I just finished Starship Troopers by Robert Heinlein. I initially thought the book would be similar to the movie. Ok that was a mistake. However as I continued on reading the book, I got more engrossed in the story. I enjoyed the movie but the book was fantastic - and there was so much more content that it seemed like fresh content.

However that got me to thinking. I read the book because of the 2 things. 1- the movie. 2-I saw this book on a few sci-fi / fantasy reading lists. So here is my question...

Are there movies which influenced your decision to read the book? If so, were you surprised by what you read (either good or bad)?

For me, Game of Thrones and, possibly, the John Carter of mars series.

message 2: by Micah (new)

Micah (onemorebaker) | 1071 comments same discussion is being had here in a different thread.
Very good opinions too.

http://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/8...

message 3: by Matthew (new)

Matthew (masupert) | 215 comments Honestly the recent John Carter movie. The movie was OK, but the premise seemed pretty awesome and from a pulp fiction standpoint could be a lot of fun to read.

I haven't read the book yet though.

message 4: by Rik (new)

Rik | 777 comments As I said in the other thread I read the Dexter books after seeing the TV series for a couple of seasons. The first season is very close to the source material in the first book but after that they diverge greatly.

message 5: by Space (new)

Space Council (spacecouncil) | 109 comments Matthew wrote: "Honestly the recent John Carter movie. The movie was OK, but the premise seemed pretty awesome and from a pulp fiction standpoint could be a lot of fun to read.

I haven't read the book yet though."

Yeah, I saw the trailer for this movie and said there has got to be a book this is based on because have zero idea what this is and it has seemingly come from thin air. So I googled it came back with Princess of Mars, looked it up on Amazon. Boom, free ebook. Still haven't read it through ha

message 6: by Micah (new)

Micah (onemorebaker) | 1071 comments duplicate thread.

original thread found here.

message 7: by Kamil (new)

Kamil | 372 comments for me it was " I am legend". I liked the movie but after reading the book my thoughts were << what kind of rubbish did i see in the movie theatre?>>

message 8: by John (new)

John | 6 comments steve wrote: "ok, just a quick background here. I just finished Starship Troopers by Robert Heinlein. I initially thought the book would be similar to the movie. Ok that was a mistake. However as I continued..."
For me it started young, I watchd "The Secret of Nimh" liked it, and read the book. Soooo different, soooo much better. I was hooked. Then the Running Man, led me to the rest of Kings "Bachman" Books. Awesome!
That's when I realists that it's usually only short stories that make good films. Novel length requires multiple movies, actually the only time I think the last two Harry Potter movies did justice to the books, they are the favourite movies of the series for my kids.

message 9: by Ashley (new)

Ashley (FoxhoundTCF) | 37 comments To echo what I said in the other thread. I started reading the Harry Potter books after watching Prisoner of Azkaban at the cinema and I'm glad that I did. Took me about 2 months to read the first five books. The downside is that when watching the later movies you get disappointed when such and such a scene is left out.

I've recently got into Legend of the Seeker and have started reading the Sword of Truth series that the show is based on. (Season 1 is based on the first book and Season 2 is based on the second one)

I didn't put this in the other thread but I started to read Lord of the Rings after seeing the films. I bought the books after seeing Fellowship with the intention of reading Two Towers and Return of the King before their movies came out, but didn't manage to achieve this, finally getting round to finishing the series after Return of the King came out

Also I'm a big fan of the Sharpe TV series based on the books by Bernard Cornwell and have started to buy the books, which are on my to-read-list

message 10: by Micah (new)

Micah (onemorebaker) | 1071 comments I give up.

message 11: by Space (new)

Space Council (spacecouncil) | 109 comments Micah wrote: "I give up."

Sword and Laser is now home to paradimensional threads as well as never ending ones. a genuine tourist attraction if you ask me.

message 12: by AndrewP (new)

AndrewP (andrewca) | 2501 comments Ashley wrote: "Also I'm a big fan of the Sharpe TV series based on the books by Bernard Cornwell and have started to buy the books, which are on my to-read-list "

Oh, now that you mention it I saw a couple of the Sharpe TV shows before I started reading the books. I had forgotten about those.

message 13: by Andrew (new)

Andrew Clark | 35 comments Do androids dream of electric sheep was awesome and different enough from blade runner that it wasn't repetitive

Also I read kick ass unfortunately. Good funny movie but the Comics were written terribly

message 14: by Micah (new)

Micah (onemorebaker) | 1071 comments Going to try this one more time.

Duplicate thread. Original can be found here

message 15: by Ashley (new)

Ashley (FoxhoundTCF) | 37 comments Micah wrote: "Going to try this one more time.

Duplicate thread. Original can be found here

http://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/8..."

Is there any way that both thread could be merged?