Vaginal Fantasy Book Club discussion

Hope's Folly (Dock Five Universe, #3)
This topic is about Hope's Folly
2012 Archives > May 2012 - Gabriel's Ghost: Hope's Folly - Spoiler Free

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by jillz (last edited May 30, 2012 10:24AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

jillz (jillzz) Just wanted to post a spoiler free recommendation for this book!

I was very reluctant to read it as I did not like Gabriel's Ghost at all. However, based on Felicia's recommendation and another VaginalFantasy reader's recommendation (PointyEars42), I downloaded it yesterday and read it.

It's really good. I liked it as much as I liked Grimspace. It's as if this book was written by a totally different person than Gabriel's Ghost. (Well, ok, there is a small bit of the repetition thing we all had issues with in GG BUT it's not nearly as bad, I swear!)

I also did not find it necessary at all to read the second book with Sully & Chaz. There is enough explanation littered through out the 3rd book so you can fill in the blanks. I'm not at the point where I will automatically purchase and buy all of this author's books I haven't read in this universe yet. BUT after I post this, I am most certainly am going to download a sample of the next book in this series.

I hope that at some point, we read it as a group.

message 2: by Lisa (new) - added it

Lisa | 68 comments Thanks so much for taking the time to make this thread. I was very very hesitant to try book 3, even after Felicia's recommendation.. Since Sully's man-child manipulation really really put me off. :(

I don't think I did the author justice, and hadn't even considered the world from Sully pov. I just disliked him too much. I'm gonna give this book a go.

message 3: by Felicia, Grand Duchess (new) - rated it 4 stars

Felicia (feliciaday) | 740 comments Mod
Just to report back, I read #4 in this series. I didn't love the characters as much as Phillip and Rya, and it left off at a cliffhanger ending for the next book, which was weird, but I enjoyed it enough to keep reading the books in this series.

And yeah, you don't need #2 at all. Although it's so dark and weird and such crazy development from #1 that it's kind of worth reading, but I'd say maybe get it from the library. Definitely leaves a bad taste in your mouth for the mind reader people, Sully and all of them.

PointyEars42 | 476 comments Felicia wrote: "Just to report back, I read #4 in this series. I didn't love the characters as much as Phillip and Rya, and it left off at a cliffhanger ending for the next book, which was weird, but I enjoyed it..."

I think I'm happy leaving the series at Hope's Folly. My reading waiting list grew from "extensive" to "ridiculous" once I started adding VFH-recs and I'll need to get a ton of stand alones under my belt before I can go for a cliffhanger ending or a piece of a series, especially from this author.

Er, that being said, I'm in the middle of Heart of Steel (Iron Seas, #2) by Meljean Brook , the Iron Duke sequel and despite it being more of a swashbuckling adventure than a steampunk adventure, I'm loving it! I won't spoil it too much for anyone planning on reading it, but the author has done a Hope's Folly-esque revision on how characters can be written. (happy sigh)

message 5: by Lisa (new) - added it

Lisa | 68 comments I've ordered it!

message 6: by Christine (new)

Christine (animecanuck) | 410 comments Hope's Folly? With that title I thought this was a thread about the Grimspace series - because the ship in that is "The Folly"... I can't remember March's sister's name, but it was originally "Sarah's Folly" or something like that.

That's always good to know that writers improve. :D