Three Kingdoms (4-Volume Boxed Set) Three Kingdoms question

Related Book
deleted member May 30, 2012 09:12AM
Hey, I have always enjoyed reading and learning about the Three Kingdoms period in chinese history. What I am wondering is there a novel similar to this, a historical fiction account of any of the major events in Japanese History

deleted member Dec 03, 2014 05:39PM   0 votes
There is the other Chinese Classic Outlaws of the Marsh. But for Classic Japanese literature don't bother with those contemporary fiction novels read the national epic The Tale of the Heike. This is the novel that inspired every following generation of Samurai.

There is a series titled "Three Kingdoms" written by Eiji Yoshikawa. However, I have not seen it translated into English just yet.

Eiji Yoshikawa is the author of Musashi and Taiko, which have been translated into English. However, those two books are limited to the perspective of their protagonists. They are still good reads, but they may not be what you are looking for.

It depends on what you want; if you like real historical drama with imagined dialogue, then I would recommend both Shōgun and the superb The Shackles Of A Name.

Both are set in feudal Japan and reflect the politics, intrigue, and betrayal that went on.