Janet Evanovich Book Group discussion

Stephanie Plum Series > Notorious Nineteen

Comments Showing 1-12 of 12 (12 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Nichole (new)

Nichole Just got word that the next book in the Plum series will be called Notorious Nineteen and will be out November 20, 2012, Yay!

message 2: by Elena (last edited May 30, 2012 09:33AM) (new)

Elena This is probably not the best topic to write this on -but I am not the hugest fan of the Plum series.... The books are cute enough, but after the first two, they all started "sounding" the same, so after the first few i just couldn't seem to get into it and don't even know how she got to number 18 financially... I think that J.E. has maybe milked this cash cow to death... But clearly the books are making big bucks since 19 is on its way and especially now that the movie came out. What do you guys think?

message 3: by Robin (new)

Robin (ukamerican) | 11 comments The series is known for never changing or evolving. I believe Janet has even said something to the effect of wishing she could keep Stephanie in a bubble where nothing ever changes. She never seems to age and we'll probably never see her make a choice between Morelli and Ranger. She'll probably never marry Morelli or have kids. She'll never become a great bounty hunter. Grandma Mazur will never die, Lula will never lose weight.

And ultimately, there's only so many scenarios you can put one character in before they start getting repetitive - this is a sand trap for most series, especially long running ones. Dan Brown has been criticized for all his books following the same pattern, even when he has different characters. But he's still selling books.

Personally, I don't really read the Plum series in order to experience something new. I still enjoy the humor and the characters - perhaps because they never change - are like visiting and old friend. As long as they are still making me laugh, I'll keep reading them.

message 4: by Nichole (new)

Nichole ....and Rex lives forever.

Well said, Robin. I personally could care less if the characters evolved or not. Although, it would be nice to see Stephanie have more of a long-term relationship with Ranger just to see what transpires. They only have had brief ones. Her and Joe seem to last somewhat longer.

The humor in these books is what keeps me coming back for more. Plus, I'm pretty attached to the characters. I gotta have a Lula fix every now and then. I pretty much never want the series to end, but I guess at some point it will have to.

message 5: by Magpie67 (new)

Magpie67 | 78 comments At some point.... probably.... I don't want it to end either, but I would like to see a semi long term relationship with Ranger too....

I definitely have to have a Grandma and Lula fix often!

I will never tire of these titles and re-read them as often as I need too! Simply to giggle and laugh out loud. I think all the different fugitives (love the eccentric ones) keeps the job fresh and I would love for her to bring back a few of the older characters we have met more.... Mooner is a fav of mine and Sally. I think we need to see a bit of Joyce too... :o) To throw a wrench in the scene a bit.

Stuart Woods has a similar pattern with his series and I keep reading them too!!! I am comfortable with the characters, so therefore, it's an easy read and super fun to re-enter a world I know already.

message 6: by Nicole (new)

Nicole (nlojeda) | 222 comments Mod
I totally agree Magpie67! I never tire of the books either. And I would love to see Stephanie try a relationship with Ranger (even though he doesn't commit!). Sure some are better than others but they're all fun and exciting!
And Nichole, I agree with you as well. The humor keeps me coming back and I'm attached to the characters as well.

message 7: by Magpie67 (new)

Magpie67 | 78 comments I'm Definitely attached to the characters!!!!

message 8: by Donna (new)

Donna | 13 comments Thank you for letting us know the release date for notorious nineteen. :) I can't wait to buy the next Wicked book on Tuesday.

message 9: by [deleted user] (new)

This is the best series around because the are comfortable, familiar and all out funny. Much like a sitcom or adventure series where it is about the characters and the humor. I don't need depth, huge plot developments or changes in the theme. These books rock because you can dive into any of them and find comfort and familiarity. They are so outlandishly funny and ridiculous...and that is the point. Love this series...nothing is better than these or any of Evanovich's books.

message 10: by K.L. (new)

K.L. Phelps (kl_phelps) | 29 comments kindle version is 3.99, picked it up today but not sure when I will get to it

message 11: by K.L. (new)

K.L. Phelps (kl_phelps) | 29 comments and I've finally gotten around to reading it, now I'm only 2 books behind ;)

message 12: by Curlyhair (new)

Curlyhair | 12 comments I've just finished this and enjoyed it. I think it's been one of the best for a while.