Tips for Self Promotion, Sales, and Advertising discussion

e-book related topics > E book conversion services

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by J. (new)

J. Rubino (jrubino) Has anyone any experience with the e-book conversion services? I own the rights to my earlier books, a mystery series, and would like to put the first three on Kindle as a single unit. I have everything compiled in a Word file, but the information about conversion makes it sound like the process would be too time consuming and there would be a higher possibility of error for the tech challenged. I would rather invest in a good service to make the ms e-ready.

message 2: by David (new)

David Katzman (daviddavid) | 90 comments I'm having mine converted by a service from an Indesign file to epub right now, then eventually to Kindle. It's quite difficult for my book because I have some very unusual design and graphics in my book. But overall, the guy is doing a good job. His fee is a flat $250.

http://www.ebooksbydesign.co/ if you do contact him, let him know I recommended him. Good luck!

message 3: by Joyce (new)

Joyce Shaughnessy (joyceshaughnessy) | 35 comments David,

Try Chris Lane's book on Amazon. He's a U.K. author. and he gives easy instructions on how to Publish with Amazon. He only publishes Kindle.

Anyway, he's a funny, funny man, and it's an informative book.

Joyce Shaughnessy A Healing Place by Joyce Shaughnessy
Blessed Are the Merciful by Joyce Shaughnessy

message 4: by David (new)

David Katzman (daviddavid) | 90 comments Thanks for the tip, Joyce. I hired someone to convert it for me because I don't want to spend the time to figure it out. And I believe I need an expert, too, because my book is so complicated with many element that don't convert easily such as: scenes with 6 vertical columns of conversation happening simultaneously, circular and curved text layouts, odd word and letter spacing (like ee cummings poetry, for example) and 65 pages of illustrations. Some of the text is being converted to images otherwise it ruins the layouts.

Almost everything seems to be in decent shape right now but I'm running into a really irritating punctuation issue. My designer can't seem to figure out how to get M-dashes to stay attached to the word that precedes them, so they are sometimes STARTING lines, and sometimes when the m-dash is the last character in a sentence, depending on the font size and font the e-reader is set for, it's actually resulting in the m-dash being on its own in a line. Very frustrating!

We're doing this with ePub first, then doing kindle next - all part of the same fee.

message 5: by Joyce (new)

Joyce Shaughnessy (joyceshaughnessy) | 35 comments Well, it seems as if you have someone expert to help with it. Sounds complicated! Good luck. Joyce

message 6: by Marjorie (last edited Jun 07, 2012 11:57AM) (new)

Marjorie Friday Baldwin (marjoriefbaldwin) | 13 comments J. wrote: "Has anyone any experience with the e-book conversion services? I own the rights to my earlier books, a mystery series, and would like to put the first three on Kindle as a single unit. I have every..."

J, I can recommend someone excellent and she will work with you on cost. Contact Cassie McCown at Gathering Leaves Reviews:

Gathering Leaves Reviews

She just started her editing and conversion services but she's had some great background experience previously. I used her as one of my editors for my first book and for the next one, she'll be by my primary--if I can afford her! I can't ask her to cut rates more than once. She's too good and deserves / earns her pay!

-Friday
@phoenicianbooks