European Royalty discussion

European Royalty Group Reads > The Kitchen Boy: Jan 15 - Feb 15

Comments Showing 1-16 of 16 (16 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Sara W (new)

Sara W (sarawesq) | 2153 comments Hey everyone! Our January 15 - February 15 read will be:

The Kitchen Boy: A Novel of the Last Tsar

The Kitchen Boy: A Novel of the Last Tsar by Robert Alexander

by Robert Alexander

Robert Alexander

We will start the discussion on January 15.

We'll do the discussion threads broken up by chapters like all the other times, but I figure this thread can be used by those frustrated with amazon's delivery slowness (or your library's slowness) or for any other reason. Just don't discuss the book in any detail here! (General "I'm a couple chapters in and I like it" comments are fine, but we'll start the real discussion threads on the 15th.) For those of you just joining us, you can look through the previous threads in this Monthly Group Read section to see how we did it before because the process will be the same (there's also a thread just like this thread for the other books we've read together).

message 2: by Mandy (new)

Mandy Moody | 544 comments I should have my book tomorrow.
Now I just need to hurry and finish the one I'm reading!
I'm excited for this one :)

message 3: by Sara W (new)

Sara W (sarawesq) | 2153 comments Luckily it's on the Kindle, so I'm going to order it once I finish reading my current book. My Far Pavilions book hasn't come yet, so I think I'm just going to read that one once I finish the bar exam since it's so long.

message 4: by Mandy (new)

Mandy Moody | 544 comments I didn't know you were taking the bar, Sara! When is it?
It's funny how little we know about each other, isn't it?
Anyway - good luck with that!

message 5: by Sara W (new)

Sara W (sarawesq) | 2153 comments Thanks Mandy! The bar is the end of February. I took and passed the IL bar a couple of years ago, so at least this isn't my first one. I told my husband no more moving after this! We can stay in NY or go back to IL, but I'm not taking another one!

Ha ha, I know what you mean about knowing people on here. I feel like a "know" quite a few people here, but it's such a small fraction of their actual lives! Funny that you mention it too because I went to add you as a friend a day or two ago, and your security question popped up, and I realized I had no earthly idea of what the answer would be, lol! That's when it dawned on me how little I knew about you and most of the people here. These groups become their own little worlds!

message 6: by Sara W (last edited Jan 08, 2009 05:54PM) (new)

Sara W (sarawesq) | 2153 comments FYI goodreads generated that email about reading this book as a group, not me. It must be a new feature they've come up with based on the dates shown in the currently reading box. I'm sure most people don't care, but I didn't want anyone to think I was sending out mass emails to the members of this group.

message 7: by Sera (new)

Sera I've already read the book. I enjoyed it and look forward to discussing it with you. As some of you know, I am avid fan of the Romanovs so it will be interesting to get your thoughts on the book.

message 8: by Mandy (new)

Mandy Moody | 544 comments I liked the email - I'm a big fan of a reminder, lol.
Not worried about you mass emailing us, either - you're here to protect us from spammers, remember? ;)

I'm sure you'll do great on the exam, but I imagine it's nerve wracking to have to take such an important test twice! Still, it's probably a good thing to have to take it in each new state you live in.

We should have a getting to know you thread! Maybe I'll start one.

message 9: by Sara W (new)

Sara W (sarawesq) | 2153 comments I'm already half way through the book, and it's flying! It's pretty hard to put down which is refreshing. Great so far! I can't wait to discuss it.

message 10: by Emily (new)

Emily (ohmagichour) | 181 comments Ugh - good luck on the bar, Sara. Gross. I get cold shivers just thinking about it. Excited to start reading this book!

message 11: by Sara W (new)

Sara W (sarawesq) | 2153 comments Thanks Emily. Ugh, I can't wait for it to be Feb. 26th so it'll all be over! I just finished this book today. I wish I would have started it a little later because I really want to discuss it now! I didn't expect to fly through it so quickly. I think I'm going to start The Far Pavilions now.

message 12: by Sara W (new)

Sara W (sarawesq) | 2153 comments Hey everyone,

I just wanted to pass along this message from Robert:

"It was nice to see that European Royalty will be reading my book, The Kitchen Boy. I don't want to stifle comment or interfere in any way, but if I can be helpful or anyone has any questions, please feel free to email me via goodreads or directly at robertalexanderbook@gmail.com

Oh, and fyi there is a book trailer and readers guide at www.robertalexanderbooks.com

Hope you enjoy the book, and all best wishes, Robert"

I thought you guys would get a kick out of that! Once we get a discussion going, we could email him any questions or maybe even start an additional thread that Robert could answer our questions in if he would be willing (maybe "Kitchen Boy: Discussion with the Author" or something fun along those lines).

message 13: by April Ann (new)

April Ann (bloomer) | 83 comments I read the book last year, I would love to join the discussion! The book trailer is awesome!

message 14: by Patricia (new)

Patricia Sara, this is actually a question for you about setting up discussion threads but I couldn't think of an "offline" way to ask it. I'm setting up site for my book group, which is associated with the museum I volunteer for. Somehow I can't seem to get the discussion thread thing going. Can you help?! I'd appreciate it. Thanks.......Patricia Lane

message 15: by Sara W (last edited Jan 14, 2009 07:00PM) (new)

Sara W (sarawesq) | 2153 comments Hey Patricia,

On the group's home page, towards the top where it says "Discussion Board", there are a few little links to the right after the word "topics" that say "all", "new" and "unread". If you click on "new" it will bring up a blank post for posting a thread (where you can fill in the name of the thread, what folder it should go under, etc.). Hope that helps! Let me know if you have any other questions or if that didn't help and I'll try to clarify.

message 16: by Sara W (new)

Sara W (sarawesq) | 2153 comments Oh, and you can send messages to people through the goodreads site. I think if you click on my name, it should bring up my profile and give you the option of sending me a message. I don't think I have any privacy setting up that would prevent that. You can post your questions here too though - whatever works!