Urban Fantasy series' discussion

Divergent (Divergent, #1)
This topic is about Divergent
Book Of the Month > June BOM: DIVERGENT by Veronica Roth

Comments (showing 1-45 of 45) (45 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Sarah | 1 comments I've read this book...I loved it and had a hard time putting it down. Hope everyone that reads it in June enjoys it!

Brianna | 64 comments Agreed with Sarah. This was a wonderful book. Happy reading.

Kimberly | 92 comments I really enjoyed this novel! I loved Tris's character and the society that is described. Ruth has created a plot that is intriguing and makes me feel for the characters. So who would you be? Gotta admit...I think I would be dauntless :)

Enlforever91 | 4 comments I liked the book, it kinda felt like Hunger Games which I really needed after reading that series but it can definitely hold its own. I look forward to reading Insurgent soon!

message 5: by Ela (new) - rated it 3 stars

Ela I enjoyed it but it wasn't amazing.

Kimberly | 92 comments Ela, have you read Insurgent yet? I would def recommend it!

Wanderlust (bookprotagonist) Oh i have been wanting to read this for ages, love good dystopia :)

Thurman (nycblkboy) | 6 comments I decided to read Divergent first. I just started a few hours ago and i'm already at 40% (kindle). After reading the first part of the description for this book I was hooked.

I didn't vote but great pic. I can't wait to read the 2nd book.

Katie (ieishanalani) I just finished this book yesterday an i love it!! It's my new favorite book, i just bought insurgent, now i have to wait for it to arrive :) Happy reading everyone :)

Mercelle | 1 comments Its a good book not the greatest but just that good! I enjoyed it very much and I am waiting to start Insurgent

message 11: by Anna (new) - rated it 3 stars

Anna I agree - good but didn't have a wow factor. Too many thing struck me as unlikely. I can't believe that non-one knew the about how you are intiated for example. Not as good as Hunger Games, but a good read.

message 12: by Jen (new) - rated it 5 stars

Jen (Jen371) | 22 comments I read this book when it first came out. Great read. I really enjoyed the second one too (Insurgent).

Alicia | 9 comments Half way through it. Already ordered the sequel!

riddled sage (nizzyD17) | 2 comments im still reading the first 1 its soooo good

message 15: by My (new)

My Nguyen | 3 comments It had a slow start but overall it was a good read.

Chelsea (chelssik) I started and finished this book today. It was crazy addicting and really good. It kept me hooked the whole way through.

Thurman (nycblkboy) | 6 comments I was really into it. I would have finished the whole book in about 10 hours but something happened. I read a small part of a review for Insurgent and it threw me off. I basically know whats going to happen next. Well at least I know the conclusion.

I think I will have to take a break from Divergent for a while. Maybe i'll start the other book and stay far away from reviews.

message 18: by Ela (new) - rated it 3 stars

Ela Kimberly wrote: "Ela, have you read Insurgent yet? I would def recommend it!"

No haven't read it yet but I want to! :)

message 19: by Nadja (new) - added it

Nadja (buechermoewe) | 3 comments Oh, this one's on my 'to be read' pile and I think I'll join in for the June reading! Good reason to pick it up and get through it. :D

message 20: by Jeri (new) - rated it 4 stars

Jeri (GlitterQueen) | 1 comments Just got this on Kindle so will definitely join in! I also need something else to read after the Hunger Games series, lol!

Shannon (smcpheeters) This was an amazing book! Just as good as Hunger Games and (for me) in some ways better. I finished in 2 days and was only stuck waiting for Insurgent for about 2 weeks. Tris is everything a strong female YA character should be and I think I have a crush on Four!

message 22: by Christina (new) - added it

Christina (darkndirtybooks) | 2 comments I really enjoyed this one. One of my favorite books of the year so far.

Andrea I liked this book a lot- really cool concept. I kept thinking it would be a great movie- and then read it's in the works! Woohoo! Looking forward to seeing Tris and Four on the big screen.

Alicia | 9 comments I finished this book yesterday and I have to admit, I wish they would have spent a bit more time developing the relationship between Tobias and Tris. It seemed a little zero to Ill die for you, and it felt a little empty to me. I loved the book as a whole. The story line is interesting and the characters are well developed on their own. The whole romance thing just seemed a little forced to me. I almost wish she might have left that to the next book and drew it out a bit more ..... That being said, I will most definitely be reading the sequal in the next book soon!

Kylie (skpettit) | 4 comments I've had this on my to-read book for a while. I finally got my hands on it and I could not put it down. I read it in 2 days!! Loved it and I know you will all love it too!

Nikki (WithereRose) I just started early Saturday morning and finished early afternoon Sunday. The only time I put the book down was while working. I'm ordering the sequel as soon as I get paid. Can't wait to read it and I'm glad I found out about this book from here or I probably wouldn't have ever known about it. :)

message 27: by Ela (new) - rated it 3 stars

Ela I just hated the name Tobais, so I was annoyed for the second half of the book whenever she mentioned his name.

Kaarinedm | 12 comments I enjoyed this book a lot as well; really looking forward to reading Insurgent as soon as I get a chance. I do think that most will enjoy this read.. Since I read it awhile ago, some of your comments are helping to trigger my memory - lol. I read so much that it takes a minute to place the name of the book with the plot. Overall, good and I would def recommend =)

Adventure | 4 comments I had this book on my to-read shelf for the longest time, but just never got around to reading it. I could not put the book down and absorbed it. It was a little too much like "Hunger Games" for me to really find it original, but I thought it was well written and I was pretty hooked. I already have the second one on hold at the library. I'm looking forward to it, but I'm also nervous. I really hope that the next book does not ruin what she started with this one.

Mostly I enjoyed that this was a society dedicated to specific virtues, but that they could be corrupted. The idea that a Divergent, having more than one virtue, was a BAD thing really struck me. I look forward to seeing how the society is shaped by the corruption and war being ushered in.

message 30: by Abby (new) - rated it 5 stars

Abby This was definitely one of the best books I've read in awhile, probably since Hunger Games. Once I started I had a hard time stopping as well.
I'm looking forward to starting Insurgent this week. It's going to suck waiting for book 3 once I finish.

message 31: by Ela (last edited Jun 07, 2012 03:27PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Ela One thing that I found really unbelievable was that she (view spoiler)

Marilyn (MGMosier) I love this book. It is equally as good as Hunger Games. I'm looking forward to the sequel "Insurgent".

Rachel (teachermom_Rach) | 3 comments I really enjoyed this book, so much so that I've already read Insurgent too. I do wish there was more information about how the society came to be formed as it is in Divergent. Tris sometimes drove me nuts, while other times I was rooting for her, but overall this was a fun book and made some interesting points about human nature and how wee relate to others.

Katie (ieishanalani) LOVE LOVE LOVE this book, my order of Insurgent arrived yesterday :) also i ordered Divergent at the start of the week so i should get that next week, than ill probably read it again LOL :D

message 35: by Angel (new)

Angel Ludwig (KayAngel) | 23 comments wow, looks like I get to be odd man out on this one. Borrowed it from the library and just couldn't get into it. My 21-day Kindle loan expired before I got past the first chapter. I'll see if I can get it back and try again, but not really looking forward to it. I prefer a semi-logical explanation for the left turn at Albuquerque.

Melody Manful (melodymanful) I loved this book so much!! It was awesome, totally worth the time!!!

Deepthy (DevilishDeepz) | 26 comments I just finished it yesterday and it was a good book ..... predictable in some places but on the whole a good book. Will be reading the next book for sure!

message 38: by Ann (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ann (ReadsterQuilts) | 12 comments i am still almost done. its been hard to put down.looking forward to the next! i have it on audio so i can listen in my car!

Sandra I just started (about at chapter 9 now) and although it has a typical dystopian set-up I am really enjoying it so far.

message 40: by Tina (new) - rated it 4 stars

Tina | 10 comments Just finished Divergent and I have to say that I really enjoyed the book. I loaded the second one just now so I can start it tonight.

Reggie (OriginalPuck) | 19 comments I haven't gotten to Insurgent yet, but I did enjoy Divergent. There were a few triggers that seemed to come one after another, which really had me set the book down for a few hours before I was able to pick it back up. I also thought that there were a few parts where the pace slowed - particularly during slow parts of their training - but it ended really well, and I'm definitely going to have to read the next book.

Other than that, my one other nitpick was the dried-up Lake Michigan. I live just off of that Lake, and I can't imagine what sort of catastrophe caused it to dry up. I'm hoping that'll be answered in the second book in the series, but it seriously bugged me every time they mentioned it.

★ gwiz ★ (ggwiz) I enjoyed Diergent. A quick read to this dystopia world reminded me of Enclave. The difference being Tris has no training in violence of the faction that she chooses to live her life. The hardest part to believing this world is how quickly she and some of the other transfer factions get to the level of those whom were born within Dauntless. Overlooking that, the character connections, Tris and Four, interact on different levels, student and instructor, first romance awkwardness, are compelling. The fight scenes written shows how dangerous her new faction is. I am glad to be able to go right into the sequel "Insurgent" without breaking the flow of the story.

Nicole (nike13) I just finished this book and loved it :) I'll definitely be picking up Insurgent soon cause I really want to see how this world changes after what happened.

I also kind of want to hear how this society was brought about, like what cause Chicago to become so desolate and why there's locks on the outside of the city gates...makes me wonder what's going on in the rest of the world. For awhile there I thought things were turn out to be a simulation itself (like a matrix or something).

Ivonna (Ivycity) I thought this book was good. I love strong female characters. I am looking forward to reading the next one.

message 45: by Anna (new) - rated it 3 stars

Anna Have just read the sequel Insurgent and much preferred it. Less romance more intrigue.

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Insurgent (other topics)
Divergent (other topics)