Urban Fantasy series' discussion

Moon Called (Mercy Thompson, #1)
This topic is about Moon Called
Book Of the Month > June BOM: MOON CALLED by Patricia Briggs

Comments Showing 1-50 of 63 (63 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Ela (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ela Absolutely love this book, my favourite UF series, mercy's awesome!

☀Rachael☀ (jimbunni) And thirded!

Sidhe Prankster (sidheprankster) | 2 comments I have been wanting to start this series for a while now-- too many books, too little time!-- and I'm glad to have been given the incentive. LOL! I love good urban fantasy/mystery.

message 4: by Ela (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ela Scotia wrote: "Sidhe wrote: "I have been wanting to start this series for a while now-- too many books, too little time!-- and I'm glad to have been given the incentive. LOL! I love good urban fantasy/mystery."..."

Yep, have read them so many times! :D

Brianna | 64 comments I must be one of the few who read this book and thought it was just ok. I didn't hate it, but didn't love it either. I have the rest of the series, just never got to them after reading the first.

message 6: by K. (new) - rated it 4 stars

K. | 96 comments It isn't my favorite in the series, but I did enjoy it. I really like Mercy's character. She is constantly caught between worlds.

Anna I think its a great first in the series book. Much better than Kate Daniels #1. However it will e disappointing if you want sexy vampires. Definately UF not PR. Of all the series I've read i think this one is the most realistic. Briggs doesn't really do sensational here and she develops the plot/character slowly.

I love the Mercy series. Probably my second favourite.

message 8: by K. (new) - rated it 4 stars

K. | 96 comments Anna, which series would be your fav? Always looking for new books to read :)

message 9: by Ann (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ann (ReadsterQuilts) | 12 comments Brianna wrote: "I must be one of the few who read this book and thought it was just ok. I didn't hate it, but didn't love it either. I have the rest of the series, just never got to them after reading the first."

i agree that the first like all first ones is introducing characters, but keep reading i don't think you will be disappointed.

Tala   (tala2) The series gets better as it goes and so does Adam ;)

message 11: by Anna (last edited May 30, 2012 04:46PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Anna Kimberly wrote: "Anna, which series would be your fav? Always looking for new books to read :)"

Hi Kimberly, depends a bit on what you like. As far as adult books go - I really like Karen Chance - the Cassie Palmers are fun but manic; the Dory books are more sensible.

Kate Daniels -Ilona Andrews improves - I nearly gave up on book 1 but the second half of book 3 and 4 are great.
I like Anita Blake but I get the feeling she's a bit like marmite - some hate her & there is a big shift towards sex from book 10 onwards - some would argue before! I've taken a break on book 9.
The Black Dagger Brotherhood - J R Ward are ok if you want PNR and more sex! - just don't expect much of a plot.
I have a soft spot for Kitty Norville - Carrie Vaughn - it's a cross over YA/adult and a fast read.

Does that help?

Mallory | 6 comments This and The Toby Daye books are my favorite UF ever. :) So excited that everyone will be reading it. Mercy is amazing.

message 13: by Jen (new) - rated it 4 stars

Jen (jen371) | 23 comments I hope to read this book next. It looks so good! The cover is awesome and the description is great!

Elisa  (ocdreader) | 5 comments Yay! I have been meaning to reread these - excellent incentive :)

message 15: by Gail (new) - rated it 5 stars

Gail I love this series...it does get better with each book.

message 16: by Jen (new) - rated it 4 stars

Jen (jen371) | 23 comments Just finished the book. I really like how it turned out. A lot of Werewolf stuff going on and a lot of explaining things, instead of action in the first half. Must read the next book now!

message 17: by M.D. (new) - rated it 4 stars

M.D. (mdkenney) I love anything Mercy!

Nicky | 68 comments I just finished this book-gotta say loved Mercy & the setting but it was a little bland-bks 3&6 sound interesting..do they improve?(wondering if i'll miss out if I skip up)

Nikki (withererose) Just finished Moon Called and loved it!!! Definitely going to continue reading the series once I finish other ones I was already reading of course. My Tbr pile is too big now :( curse loving to read more than any other hobbies lol. Now on to Divergent hope it's as good.

message 20: by Thurman (new)

Thurman (nycblkboy) | 6 comments I read the fist 5 chapters. no spoilers but i was disturbed.

Nicky | 68 comments Thurman- I was also wondering what disturbed you, ? Thanx Scotia-

message 22: by Ann (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ann (ReadsterQuilts) | 12 comments i am on book six now and am reading Alpha and omega with them. they really work together. just look at the publisher dates.

message 23: by Jess (new) - rated it 4 stars

Jess McHenry (jess721) I love this series! I will be re-reading this for sure.

Alicia This was my first Urban Fantasy series. I really loved it! Everyone enjoy!

message 25: by Thurman (new)

Thurman (nycblkboy) | 6 comments Alicia wrote: "This was my first Urban Fantasy series. I really loved it! Everyone enjoy!"

my first book here too :)

Tala   (tala2) this and Patricia Briggs Alpha and Omega series makes my top 10 fav. list. I always love a reason to reread them.

Breann This book has been on my tbr pile for a long time! Yay! I am excited to read it this month!

Guadalupe (vampirelover3915) | 2 comments I love this entire series! Nd the Alpha and Omega series too!!

message 29: by Katie (new) - added it

Katie (ieishanalani) I just got it from my library, gonna start it in a few days :)

message 30: by Ela (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ela Thurman wrote: "I read the fist 5 chapters. no spoilers but i was disturbed."

What disturbed you?

message 31: by Ela (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ela Nicky wrote: "I just finished this book-gotta say loved Mercy & the setting but it was a little bland-bks 3&6 sound interesting..do they improve?(wondering if i'll miss out if I skip up)"

Number 3 is my favourite, it is really different to the other books, and so well done. I'm not sure how it would translate if you skip up because you would miss the character building, having said that I can never really condone skipping books in series(unless it is a PR series in which every book is exactly the same)

message 32: by Abby (new) - rated it 5 stars

Abby I love the whole Mercy series but I think that the first half is infinitely better than the more recent books in the series. If you skip through the series you'll miss some real gems in books 2&3.

message 33: by Ela (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ela Abby wrote: "I love the whole Mercy series but I think that the first half is infinitely better than the more recent books in the series. If you skip through the series you'll miss some real gems in books 2&3."

I agree I probably prefer the previous books.

Lynnea (lalasbooks) | 2 comments I love this series!! I just started the spin off (Alpha and Omega) The characters in Patricia's books are just so lovable.

Samantha | 8 comments I really liked this book. :) It was a very good read

Angel Ludwig (kayangel) | 32 comments ...Karen Chance - the Cassie Palmers are fun but manic; the Dory books are more sensible.
Kate Daniels -Ilona Andrews ...
... Anita Blake ...
The Black Dagger Brotherhood - J R Ward ...
I have a soft spot for Kitty Norville - Carrie Vaughn - it's a cross over YA/adult and a fast read.

Love Karen Chance's writing--fun, fast paced, and generally frenetic. I love Ilona Andrews' whole series, tho' one is a bit rougher. LKH had Plot-fail for several books, starting after Obsidian Butterfly. If you like character growth with a TON of sex, you can wade through until she starts having plots again, tho' she still isn't back to as good as her first books. Her Merry Gentry series is good for about 2 books, then is all sex with one plot stretching for the entire rest of the series. I enjoyed the Black Dagger series a lot (I'm an action junkie with my love stories) but haven't gotten into her next series as much. Kitty is HILARIOUS! Some of the situations are a bit too adult for me to call them YA, but she does tend to be more of a fun read.

The Mercy series is a great read even on the 3rd & 4th time through, which is what I look for in a book or series. I read voraciously, so I am constantly looking for books to feed to my habit. She has solid world building skills and great characters. She has a way of building secondary characters that make you want to know more about them. Good stuff!

Breann Just finished the book and it was good. It was a basic first of a series type of book. A lot of world building and characters. I like the world that the author has built and I love Adam and Sam the characters! I love a series that makes me care about the secondary characters just as much as the main characters!

The plot was too slow for me. I cared about the characters but not necessarily the situation that they were in. If that makes sense? (view spoiler)

I am definitely invested in Mercy and the world she lives in so I will certainly continue reading the series!

Kaarinedm | 12 comments Finished the book.. actually almost finished with book 2... which I'm liking ALOT more than book one. Book one was.. eh to me.. I had to force myself to finish reading it.. it was slow going. Book 2 however, I am enjoying and reading quickly thru this one. Looking to finish the rest of this series asap!

message 39: by Tangled (last edited Jun 16, 2012 08:30AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Tangled  Speculation (TangledSpec) | 11 comments I don't remember finding the first book to be slow, but I love Mercy. Keep reading, once the world/characters are set up, maybe you'll like it?

I also love Ilonia Andrews! I'm going to second the person who said Kitty Norville is not YA--though the books are a fun read. Think about how she was turned. (view spoiler) Kitty overcomes her challenges, but I'd still say it's an adult book.

Gennesse | 62 comments I didn't like Moon Called as much as I thought I would. it was slow in my opinion. I do like the characters, and hope that the second (and others) book is not as slow going. Goona start the 2nd tonight. I'm sure i'll be addicted after.

Leesa (leesalogic) I loved this book. I like the werewolf mythology here. Sam and Charles--AROO!!!! I didn't like Adam so much in the first two books, but he grew on me and I like him a lot too.

Love Adam's pack, and Mercy is fabulous. :) Love her.

message 42: by Rhys (new) - rated it 4 stars

Rhys (noirriver) This is the first book of the month for me, and I'm glad, because I've been sitting on this book for a while with it gathering dust on my bookshelves. I've got to say that it's not disappointed so far, and I'm flying through it after picking it up yesterday. I just can't believe I've let it go so long with it just sitting there without me reading it. It's great stuff :)

message 43: by Ela (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ela I'll third the comment that I don't think Kitty is YA, more fun than other UF books maybe, but not YA.

message 44: by Anna (new) - rated it 5 stars

Anna Just got bored of all the Black Dagger Brotherhood books stopped at book 9. Decided there was only so many 6'6'hulks I could read about, especially since most of the character development is based around hair length.
Much more character development and planned world building in Mercy. And Mercy herself is intruiging unlike any females in the BDB.
Kitty is more adult than YA but it is in the teen section of my local library.A ll the characters are adults.

Tangled  Speculation (TangledSpec) | 11 comments Anna I think some libraries put all UF in YA because they don't fit the sci fi (fantasy) section already established. As an aside I first read Anne McCaffrey in the children's section because it had dragons. The sex wasn't very explicit, but I'm quite sure the librarian had never read a single Dragon Rider book.

Kaarinedm | 12 comments So.. Even tho book 1 was slow for me.. I've just been reading right thru this series, lol, happily. I'm on book 5 now! My favorite book of the series is book 3 so far.. the stories get better as they go along.. Mercy sure gets into a lot of trouble! But I like her tough skin. Happy I was introduced to this series!

message 47: by Ela (last edited Jun 18, 2012 09:01AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ela I agree with Scotia I didn't find this book slow at all, just because she dosen't star shooting people in chapter two like Anita Blake dosen't mean it's slow.
Hoever I also Agree with 'Kaarinedm' that book three is my favourite.

Kaarinedm | 12 comments Ela wrote: "I agree with Scotia I didn't find this book slow at all, just because she dosen't star shooting people in chapter two like Anita Blake dosen't mean it's slow.
Hoever I also Agree with 'Kaarinedm' t..."

lol :) that's not the reason I thought it was slow! I actually havent read any Anita Blake nor do I think that violence means awesome, fast reads.. I'm not sure why I couldnt get thru book 1 faster cuz I do enjoy her writing style. But high five on liking book 3 too.. it may be dark but I think she wrote it very well.

message 49: by Ela (last edited Jun 20, 2012 08:34AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ela Kaarinedm wrote: "Ela wrote: "I agree with Scotia I didn't find this book slow at all, just because she dosen't star shooting people in chapter two like Anita Blake dosen't mean it's slow.
Hoever I also Agree with '..."

(receive your high five :D)
Yeah, the fact that it's so different from the previous ones makes it even more striking!

message 50: by Rhys (new) - rated it 4 stars

Rhys (noirriver) I really enjoyed this. It's refreshing, even though this genre is particularly jam-packed. Even the kind of tom-boy aspect of Mercy was refreshing, as she wasn't particularly kick ass before the story, as she says in better words throughout the book than I have just said. Mercy was, what I can only assume to be, an ordinary mechanic who just happened to have extra capabilities outside the workplace.

I'd give this book 5 stars, but I save those for books that absolutely blow me away. It doesn't stop this book from being awesome though! I even bought the next in the series before I'd finished this. That's the kind of book I like, that leaves you wanting more, even if it could have been a 'stand alone' novel.

Praise for Patricia Briggs!

« previous 1