BOOK LOVERS! discussion

NEWS BULLETIN

Comments Showing 1-27 of 27 (27 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Sabrina, Sabuuu (new)

Sabrina (smilyface) | 256 comments Mod
HeY PeOpLeS! I an Innocent Lamb have put up a new mod poll so go check that out but first go look at the comment it tells you what to do :P Then we have a new Birthday topic which you just put your birthday there and who knows you might get a surprise in your inbox.. Another thing is anyone who wants to EVEN YOU can make their own games or activities and put them up. We want you guys to have as much fun here as you can and we can't do that without hearing what you guys want to do here and what games or books you guys want. So yeah and soon either me or Innocent Lamb will be creating a Facebook Page! Wooohooo! So that's it I think... yeah thats it. BYE FRIENDS!!! :D

Ƥαʋℓα Я. ♏❥ (paula_r) | 40 comments Great news!!!! :)

message 3: by Carmen (new)

Carmen | 691 comments Sound treat, I just joined.

message 4: by Reema (new)

Reema (Reemu) | 7 comments great.... love to participate.. :D

message 5: by Sabrina, Sabuuu (new)

Sorry guys! I recently haven't been on lately cause I just got back from a family vacation and I can't catch up, but I'm making an effort! I'll be coming on more frequently soon :D IF there are any ideas of suggestions you have just message me or Innocent Lamb or Sarah Victoria :)

message 6: by [deleted user] (last edited Jan 14, 2013 12:45AM) (new)

Same with me: Sorry for my long and dreary absence. I have been on vacation and only just got back yesterday and I must say: It is great to be back. Like Sabrina, I too shall be putting an effort towards keeping this group as active as possible. And liek Sabrina says, if you guys have any suggestions on what we could do to improve the group, we would love to hear it. :)

message 7: by Sabrina, Sabuuu (new)

But you've been more active then I have. I really need to make an effort to come on Goodreads and actually have fun with this group. This group has grown a lot and I really have to start keeping track and up to date with everything :) And it's cool Innocent Lamb, it really is great to be home :D

message 8: by Carmen (new)

Carmen | 691 comments My birthday is Sept. 15. I just finished reading Silent Run by Barbra Freethy! I love the book. 1st book I read by this author. Has anyone else read any of her books?

message 9: by Farah (new)

Farah Bajarias | 2 comments hello everyone! im Farah,..and new in this group..i hope so i can catch up with you guyz..im from philippines, anyway..and i am fond to read books,..anytime

message 10: by [deleted user] (last edited Jul 03, 2013 06:05PM) (new)

To the fantabulous people in this group - Yes, all 454 of you,

I have two things to say. One, someone I held dear to me recently died. It came not only as a shock, but as a startling reminder of how fragile life is and how it's these moments - these little things about life - both the good and the bad that you'll always remember.

Let's be honest... This group is dying.

This is me trying to get this group active again. This group has always been a place where people of all ages could come and talk about... well... anything.

I'd be sad to see this die. So starting today, I'm going to try really hard to get this group really active. Please, will you join me? Will you help me in getting this group going again?

Today, please take the time to invite new members into our group - It's the littlest things that count. Not only that, but take time out and spend it with your loved ones - your family and friends.

Nothing lasts forever,
Forever is a lie.
All we really have is the memories
In between hello and goodbye.

Thank you for taking the time to read this,
Innocent Lamb.

message 11: by Sabrina, Sabuuu (new)

Hey guys! I know I said I would have a poll up for you guys a couple days ago, but I've been caught up in some things right now. I'll try to have it up in the next few days so you guys have some time to vote for our September group read, but right now we're still reading Fallen by Lauren Kate!

message 12: by Asiyah (new)

Asiyah (vvanderess) | 327 comments ♥ Innocent Lamb ~ Forever Reading ♥ wrote: "To the fantabulous people in this group - Yes, all 454 of you,

I have two things to say. One, someone I held dear to me recently died. It came not only as a shock, but as a startling reminder of h..."

Wow. I know this was post before I became a member to this group but reading this makes me so happy to be a part of it and so mad that I didn't join sooner. :)(

Oh and that was a really beautiful piece of poetry to Innocent, thanks :)

message 13: by Asiyah (new)

Asiyah (vvanderess) | 327 comments Oh and big BIG thanks to Innocent, Sabrina and Sarah for being the best mods EVAH!! Am I right guys, or what?? ;)

message 14: by Devalina (new)

Devalina  (devalina) | 1 comments I think I should have joined this group long back. Oh well, better late than never. :)

message 15: by [deleted user] (new)

R U OK?

Dedicated to preventing suicide, R U OK day is run by a non-for-profit organisation determined to encourage everyone to regularly ask “Are you okay?” to support those struggling with life.

One thing you should always remember is that you can’t always tell when someone is struggling. It’s not like there’s a massive sign above people’s heads telling everyone nearby when and if said person is upset and if they need someone to be there for them.

Let me tell you a story.

There was this girl I used to know.

She was really pretty and she used to have heaps of guys wrapped around her finger. You would kind of expect her to have been the type who would take advantage of her attention, but she had this tendency to shy away from all of the attention.

Apart from all the guy attention, she had a lot of friends. It wasn’t just ‘popular people’ she befriended either. She was friends with everyone and everyone seemed to know her.

She was nice.

And then one day, I saw her run away crying. It wasn’t happy tears or light crying either. It was the type of crying that starts in your throat – where all you want to do is curl up into a ball and sob.

I don’t know what happened before that, all I know is that at that time, she was alone. No friends. No followers. No one.

I wish I could say that I chased after her and asked if she was okay and she opened up to me and that once all was done, we became best friends, the end. I wish.

No. I assumed that someone would be chasing after her and that before long, she would be all smiles again. I assured myself that I couldn’t help her anyway because I didn’t know her.

Later that day, she didn’t sit with her friends and her friends didn’t sit with her.

Later that day, I heard she dumped her boyfriend.

Later that day, I found out why.

Her boyfriend cheated on her with her best friend.

I felt bad for her. She was alone.

All her friends had left her.

It took me a week. I caught her crying in the toilets. She’d changed so much in the week since she’d cut her hair, stopped wearing make-up and she didn’t smile anymore. She was holding her wrist under the water. I could see scars.

“Are you okay?” I asked. I was scared. I didn’t know what else to say.

A million and one things were rushing through my mind in that moment – Do I ask about her scars? Do I try and get her to a therapist? Do I tell a teacher? Do I mind my own business?

She smiled sardonically, daring me to ask. “No.”

She knew I had seen her scars.

“Do you want to talk?”

“No. Not really.”

It didn’t matter. We left the toilets that day today and sat outside talking about anything and everything but why she was so upset.

Books. School. Rainbows. Unicorns.

We became good friends and she seemed happy. Her scars faded with time and though it took me a week, she promised she would never cut again and I made sure she knew that I would always be there for her and that I would be willing to listen if she ever wanted to talk.

At the end of that year, I received a text from her.

Two words. Thank you.

Two minutes later: For being there.

She moved away shortly after.

To this day, I still don’t know why she was upset.

All I know is that if I had asked if she was okay sooner – if I had reached out to her sooner, maybe I could have stopped it from escalating. Maybe I could have stopped her from cutting to begin with.

I don’t know.

What I do know is that I stopped it from possibly ending in something much worse. I’ll always regret that I didn’t ask sooner, but I am so, so glad that I ended up asking her in the end.

To this day, we still keep in contact and we make sure to talk whenever we can. She’s back on track and she’s happy. She hasn’t cut in a while and I count each day as a blessing. It scares me to think of where we – where she – would be today if I hadn’t asked her, “Are you okay?”

One simple question can make all the difference.
By having a conversation and asking someone, “Are you okay?” you need to be prepared to listen without judgement and not jump in and try to fix the other’s problems if they don’t want you to. Sometimes, all you need to do is offer a willing ear and a shoulder to cry on. Sometimes, that is all you need – for someone to be there for you.

So today especially, take the time to reach out to your friends and family and let them know you are there for them if they need you. Offer a smile, a warm hug, a willing ear, a shoulder to cry on or maybe a few kind words, for kind words can be short and easy to speak, but their echoes are truly endless.

Three small words. That is all it could take - three little words could save a life.

R U OK?

http://innocentlambforever.blogspot.c...

message 16: by Asiyah (new)

Asiyah (vvanderess) | 327 comments ♥ Innocent Lamb ~ Forever Reading ♥ wrote: "R U OK?

Dedicated to preventing suicide, R U OK day is run by a non-for-profit organisation determined to encourage everyone to regularly ask “Are you okay?” to support those struggling with life...."

*sigh* These are the things that make me happy I joined this group.. Thank You Innocent. That was really uplifting and inspiring and a great reminder to everyone on both ends of that story. Being there for someone, and needing someone to be there for you. :)

message 17: by Sabrina, Sabuuu (new)

Hey guys. I know this is for "news", but I just have to say that I recently (today) went through something I didn't think was going to happen. It was kinda sorta not but yes a breakup, but we weren't dating, but it feels like one. That sounds weird. I just won't be on Goodreads for a while. Sorry to bother you all. Have fun reading guys!

message 18: by [deleted user] (new)

We'll miss you, Sabrina!

message 19: by Gemma (new)

Gemma | 20 comments Hi guys I'm only new to this group but from what I have read in past posts I feel that I'm going to connect well with you guys. The post about R U OK really got me because I helped quite a few of my friends go through stuff like that. They were cutting themselves and I finally got them to stop. Every year I always get told that I'm the best friend ever and if I ever need help to ask them in return for all the help I gave them in the past and how I stopped them from cutting themselves. The only problem now is that since my boyfriend cheated on me with my best friend I've been really upset but I can't talk to other friends about it because I moved and we don't talk much so I have to go through all this pain by myself with no help and I was wondering if you guys could help me get through this with me??

message 20: by [deleted user] (new)

Gemma wrote: "Hi guys I'm only new to this group but from what I have read in past posts I feel that I'm going to connect well with you guys. The only problem now is that since my boyfriend cheated on me with my best friend I've been really upset but I can't talk to other friends about it because I moved and we don't talk much so I have to go through all this pain by myself with no help and I was wondering if you guys could help me get through this with me??"

I'm not as active as I used to be in this group. I dont really have the time to commit to this anymore. I was actually planning to step down as mod or a while.

I can't promise that I'll always be on to talk, but send me a message and I'll be happy to try and listen and offer advice...

message 21: by Carmen (new)

Carmen | 691 comments Gamma, sorry to hear about your boyfriend cheating. It's hard to go though that experience. Believe me you're better finding out now what a jerk he is before you got into a more serious relationship, such as engaged! The girl who cheated with him, was not a true friend. Hang in there, in time you'll feel you did the right thing. You may find someone who really cares about you and is ready for a serious relationship.

message 22: by Gemma (new)

Gemma | 20 comments Thanks guys. I really appreciate you helping me get through this. I don't think I will be able to get through it without your help.

message 23: by Gemma (new)

Gemma | 20 comments Why do I feel so shitty when I see my ex. I feel like he is just trying to rub it in my face by being flirty with other girls when I'm around. i just feel like walking up to him and whatever slut he is with and punching him in the face and kicking him in the balls then slapping the chick he is with to make him feel pain and her just for equal measure.
Why do I keep feeling like this???
Can anyone give me any advice???

message 24: by Sabrina, Sabuuu (new)

Gemma, I've been in a similar issue but I think one of the best things you can do is think positively. Instead of wanting to hurt him, maybe think to yourself that its his loss. He's the dumb one who decided to hurt you.

message 25: by Sabrina, Sabuuu (new)

Just ignore him as well, whenever you see hI'm or think of him, turn around or think of happy things, the people who deserve your love :)

message 26: by Vampireness (new)

Vampireness (mysticrose) | 7 comments COHF comes out on may 27 i am so happy ive been waiting for what feels like forever for the last book in the mortal instruments to come out.

message 27: by [deleted user] (new)

I feel so honored. I'd like to thank the little people who made this possible.:)