Nordic Noir discussion

Author of the Month > June - Camilla Läckberg

Comments Showing 1-24 of 24 (24 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Dee, the Insanity Check (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 652 comments The winner for June's author of the month poll (with an overwhelming victory...is Camilla Läckberg

So what is everyone going to read by her this month?

I just reserved the audio of The Ice Princess from the library

message 2: by Susan (new)

Susan (susanthomas) I, too, will be reading The Ice Princess.

message 3: by Ellie (new)

Ellie (elliearcher) I think I will also be reading The Ice Princess

message 4: by Eva (new)

Eva | 4 comments I read everything that's been translated into English :( But if there wasn't a pile of books by other authors next to my bed, I would re-read some of her mysteries.

message 5: by Naomi, the Sanity Check (last edited May 30, 2012 09:52AM) (new)

Naomi (nblackburn) | 932 comments I think I have rad all of hers..not a big fan of hers..to romancy for me and not enough gore!

message 6: by Dee, the Insanity Check (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 652 comments lol - haha! This works well for me because I just got the approval to get the audiobook for The Stonecutter so I need to get caught up

message 7: by Richard (new)

Richard (ricoh) | 17 comments I shall be reading The Gallows Bird (Patrik Hedström, #4)and help celebrate one of my favourite authors.

message 8: by Naomi, the Sanity Check (new)

Naomi (nblackburn) | 932 comments Um..looks like I will be reading Stonecutter.

message 9: by Jenny (new)

Jenny (jennyil) | 20 comments I listened to the Ice Princess recently and was not very impressed. I could not get interested in the story, the characters or the setting.

message 10: by Naomi, the Sanity Check (new)

Naomi (nblackburn) | 932 comments Jenny wrote: "I listened to the Ice Princess recently and was not very impressed. I could not get interested in the story, the characters or the setting."

I agree, Jenny..she isn't my favorite NN author, at all!

message 11: by Diane S ☔ (new)

Diane S ☔ I will be reading Stone Cutter as well because I seemed to have skipped that one.

message 12: by Rick (new)

Rick (ricocan49) | 5 comments I hope to be reading "The Gallows Bird" soon, however, it is being re-released in North America with a new title--"The Stranger."

message 13: by Helen (new)

Helen | 15 comments I have read the stonecutter and the hidden child. This month I am reading The Drowning.

message 14: by Susan (new)

Susan (susanthomas) Naomi wrote: "Jenny wrote: "I listened to the Ice Princess recently and was not very impressed. I could not get interested in the story, the characters or the setting."

I agree, Jenny..she isn't my favorite NN..."

I haven't begun this book yet, so I'm really sorry to hear these comments. I felt this way about Yrsa's books, too, and was hoping Camilla would be better. I'll let you know how it goes!

message 15: by Naomi, the Sanity Check (new)

Naomi (nblackburn) | 932 comments OK..I finished the Stonecutter yesterday and hands down, her best one to date. I did figure out the killer early on..just didn't know why or the extent. I still say she isn't NN though!

message 16: by Dee, the Insanity Check (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 652 comments i had to put Ice Princess aside - it was interesting, but I couldn't listen to the book at work, too many distractions, so i'm going to try it on my drive (after I finish up my current pile of books)

message 17: by Naomi, the Sanity Check (new)

Naomi (nblackburn) | 932 comments Ice princess bored me to tears...I almost didn't continue on with the series.

message 18: by Susan (new)

Susan (susanthomas) Wow, I'm surprised by the negative comments on The Ice Princess. I went into it with low expectations and was pleasantly surprised to find it interesting. I'd be willing to give her a second chance, since typically series become more well-developed as they go along.

message 19: by Dee, the Insanity Check (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 652 comments i'm intrigued - it just wasn't working well for me at work listening when I keep getting distracted I need to listen in a more isolated scenario

message 20: by Naomi, the Sanity Check (new)

Naomi (nblackburn) | 932 comments Susan wrote: "Wow, I'm surprised by the negative comments on The Ice Princess. I went into it with low expectations and was pleasantly surprised to find it interesting. I'd be willing to give her a second chanc..."

You know what Susan..to me CL's books are too nice-nice and not enough twistedness for me. They are much too Americanized and focused on relationships, emotions for me...when I read NN, I don't read it for that.

message 21: by Dee, the Insanity Check (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 652 comments Naomi just likes all dark and twisty ;) the darker and the twistier the better

message 22: by Naomi, the Sanity Check (new)

Naomi (nblackburn) | 932 comments Dang Straight...no sucky emotional stuff for me!!! lol

message 23: by Susan (new)

Susan (susanthomas) Naomi wrote: "Dang Straight...no sucky emotional stuff for me!!! lol"

ok, and as a general rule I prefer the noir stuff (Nesbo being at the top of my list). But sometimes it's good for me to take a break from that, too. Sometimes I think authors go too far in their attempts to make their work appeal to us noir people, which turns me off as well.

message 24: by Helen (new)

Helen | 15 comments I agree Susan, Love NN but I have now read my 3rd CL novel and it is quite light reading, fine for a little break from the dark stuff!