TV We've Just Watched discussion

Cancelled/Series Ended > thirtysomething

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Tressa (new)

Tressa  (MoanaLisa) I'm hoping there are some thirtysomething fans out there. I just watched the episode on YouTube where Nancy is cancer-free and Gary dies. I shed a few tears even after twenty years of it being off the air.

I'm still depressed that it's not out on DVD. It is the ONLY TV series I ever wanted to own on DVD. What's the hold up?

message 2: by Joanne (new)

Joanne | 35 comments I haven't thought of thirtysomething for a long time, but I loved it when it originally aired. I've never seen it since. Has it ever been rerun on any channel? Wonder if I would still like it today?

Actually, now that I think about it, I have been reminded of the show, because Nancy is a regular on Brothers and Sisters, & Hope's husband is a producer or some other executive position also on Brothers and Sisters.

message 3: by Liz (new)

Liz (HisSheep) Now this brings back memories! I LOVED that show ...

message 4: by Tressa (new)

Tressa  (MoanaLisa) I think back in the '90s Oxygen was showing it for a while, but that's it as far as I know. Believe me, if I knew of a channel that was showing it, I would drop any cable I had and switch over just so I could watch the show again.

I really didn't care for the Ellyn character. I didn't particularly care for Hope either. I think she had bipolar disorder, lol. If Michael was working too hard at his job, she'd get all judgmental and moody because he was ignoring the family; when Michael lost his business and lounged around the house too long before finding another job, she's get all judgmental and moody because he wasn't supporting the family. I think I would have shot myself if I had been married to her.

The '90s had some of my favorite dramas-- thirtysomething, China Beach, and Northern Exposure.

message 5: by Heidi (new)

Heidi  | 65 comments When I was dating my husband (which of course is "dating" me), we watched 30 something religiously and hoped we'd be just as cool... didn't realize you couldn't watch it on DVD yet... I will say it got pretty depressing toward the end of the run, but the first two years was great.

Ahhh... Northern Exposure was another gem in its first years... John Corbett... what a man!

message 6: by Tressa (new)

Tressa  (MoanaLisa) Eh, no one is ever as cool as Hope and Michael. At least they had a messy house like ours, lol.

I like some of the music that was played on the show. "Circle Game" and "River" by Joni Mitchell; "The Water is Wide" by Karla Bonoff; a nice version of "Cry Like a Rainstorm" by someone I don't know. And of course the opening theme.

Go to YouTube and watch some of the episodes.

I loved Norther Exposure and, yes, John Corbett was great eye candy! He still is. I was so happy to see him on Sex in the City.

message 7: by Heidi (last edited Jan 07, 2009 05:54PM) (new)

Heidi  | 65 comments I had a very brief encounter with John Corbett during the time he was filming SATC... the man is a giant... and just as hot in real life. He actually had a cute little blonde SJP look-alike with him.

Sad that he's been doing voice overs-- haven't seen him act in awhile... loved him in Big Fat Greek Wedding too.

message 8: by Tressa (new)

Tressa  (MoanaLisa) Oh, he was great in MBFGW, and sexy to boot. I think he's dating Bo Derek these days?