Pick-a-Shelf discussion

Pick-a-Shelf: Monthly -Archive > 2012-06- Banned Books - What will you read in June?

Comments Showing 1-28 of 28 (28 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Tien (new)

Tien (tiensblurb) | 8465 comments Mod
Thanks DG, for the great June pick of

Banned Books

Lots of good books here, we are spoiled for choice :)
Which book/s are you considering for June?

message 2: by Bea (last edited May 30, 2012 01:15AM) (new)

Bea | 4419 comments Mod
I plan to read Beloved and One Day in the Life of Ivan Denisovich. I will probably try to get one or all of the three Harry Potter books (planned for another group) read in June as they are on the list also.

message 3: by Tien (new)

I'm going to try The Master and Margarita

message 4: by Susan (new)

Susan | 3405 comments Mod
I'm going to start with some banned children's books, and then work my way up in age depending on time.
starting with ...
The Lorax
James and the Giant Peach
The Withces
Black Beauty
The Bridge to Terabithia
I am the Cheese (on my LOST list)
... and then we'll see

message 5: by D.G. (new)

D.G. | 1370 comments I'll try to read all of these, which I have on audio.
Unwind
Catch-22
The Adventures of Tom Sawyer
Brideshead Revisited

message 6: by Lauren (new)

Lauren | 247 comments I'm in the middle of moving but as soon as I get it unpacked I plan to tackle:

American Psycho

Lyn (Readinghearts) (lsmeadows) | 2803 comments Mod
Wow, I just looked at the list and I think I have read about 75% of the books listed on the first two pages. I must like banned books. I think for this month I will try to get to:

The Kite Runner by Khaled Hosseini since it is on my LOST list

Other than that, I'm sure I will be reading something during the month that is on the banned shelf, so we shall see.

message 8: by Kristen (last edited May 30, 2012 05:02PM) (new)

Kristen | 38 comments For June I am going to read The Handmaid's Tale. It's on my LOST list so it'll help me out there too!

message 9: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 286 comments Going to give The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn a go this month.

message 10: by Scott (new)

Scott I'm definitely going to read Last Exit To Brooklyn beyond that, depending on my mood I'm looking at...
Animal Farm
American Psycho
Lolita
The Jungle

message 11: by Krait (last edited May 31, 2012 05:17AM) (new)

Krait | 58 comments The Invisible Man by H.G. Wells. Why do I get the feeling that people only put this on the banned booked shelf because they were confused with Invisible Man by Ralph Ellison? Perhaps I'll read them both.

message 12: by Tara (last edited May 31, 2012 07:23AM) (new)

Tara | 742 comments Looking at my book shelves at home I have found:
The Chocolate War
Jesus Land
Life as We Knew It
Thirteen Reasons Why

I hope to get to one or two of these because I really should work on reading the books I have, but I have also been interested in Blankets since our "graphic novel" shelf so if I can find it at the library I might try to read it this month.

message 13: by Jo Ann (new)

Jo Ann  | 81 comments I decided that I am going to read The Color Purple I saw the movie years ago and loved it so I guess it's time I read the book.

message 14: by Candiss (last edited Jun 01, 2012 06:02PM) (new)

Candiss (tantara) I'm going to try for Wide Sargasso Sea and The Golden Compass.

message 15: by Mindy (new)

Mindy | 87 comments I am going to try The Handmaid's Tale since it has been on every shelf picked since I joined the group! I am also going to read Speak if the library cooperates and maybe Slaughterhouse-Five.

message 16: by Leonie (new)

Leonie (leo23) I am going to start with Lolita - I have the audio version narrated by Jeremy Irons. Just love his voice and accent :)

message 17: by D.G. (new)

D.G. | 1370 comments Leonie wrote: "I am going to start with Lolita - I have the audio version narrated by Jeremy Irons. Just love his voice and accent :)"

The version I have of Brideshead Revisited is also narrated by Jeremy Irons.

message 18: by Tien (new)

Tien (aka Kazza) wrote: "I'm going to try The Master and Margarita"

Not sure I can get my hand on a copy in June so I'll give Doctor Zhivago a go instead.

message 19: by Tien (new)

Leonie & DG - Love Jeremy Irons!! Great voice ;)

message 20: by Hayley (new)

Hayley (shnuh) | 10 comments There are way too many great books to choose from this month, and i've already read quite a few of the most popular ones. In the interest of getting some more classics under my belt i'm going to go for Fahrenheit 451 and The Diary of a Young Girl, but i might have to read a book about kittens or something inbetween to space out the intensity.

Catch-22 and One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest are also really tempting (and on my to-read shelf), but i doubt i'll have time.

message 21: by Susan (new)

Susan | 3405 comments Mod
Hayley wrote: "...but i might have to read a book about kittens or something in between to space out the intensity. "

Hayley,
You might try some of the banned children's books. Many of them don't have the intensity you're talking about, and it's fun to try to find what made someone decide these were worth banning.

message 22: by Hayley (new)

Hayley (shnuh) | 10 comments Susan wrote: You might try some of the banned children's books. Many of them don't..."

That's actually a really good idea, which i probably wouldn't have considered. Now that i've looked i'll add A Light in the Attic as my spacing book. Thanks :)

message 23: by Bea (new)

Bea | 4419 comments Mod
Hayley wrote: "Susan wrote: You might try some of the banned children's books. Many of them don't..."

That's actually a really good idea, which i probably wouldn't have considered. Now that i've looked i'll add ..."

oh, is that one on the list? I read it earlier in the year. Fun book.

message 24: by J. Travis (last edited Jun 26, 2012 07:42PM) (new)

J. Travis Moger | 50 comments I haven’t participated in the group in a while but thought this would be a good month to come back, especially since To Kill a Mockingbird * is #1 on the Banned Books list and it’s been languishing on my to-read shelf for too long. I’d like to do more but I have a few other books I need to finish and I’m moving this month, so I’ll keep my reading goals modest. *Completed 6/26/12

message 25: by LynnB (new)

LynnB | 1602 comments Candide is the first one I chose. I have always been curious about this book. I finished it a couple of days ago and found it very different from what I expected. Very humorous.

message 26: by D.G. (new)

D.G. | 1370 comments J. Travis wrote: "To Kill a Mockingbird is #1 on the Banned Books list and it’s been languishing on my to-read shelf for too long. "

I read it last month and loved it. Hope you like it too!

message 27: by D.G. (last edited Jun 06, 2012 09:23AM) (new)

D.G. | 1370 comments Oh I just read that Ray Bradbury died. I've only read Fahrenheit 451 by him but now I learned that The Martian Chronicles deals with book banning so I may read it too!

message 28: by D.G. (new)

D.G. | 1370 comments I started listening an audiobook version of The Arabian Nights: Tales from a Thousand and One Nights but this particular edition is not in the shelf!

Oh well, at least the narration by Toby Stephens is smoking!