Shoujo Manga Book Club discussion

Archive > Visiting Japan

Comments Showing 1-20 of 20 (20 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by [deleted user] (new)

Have you ever been to Japan or want to go to Japan? If you have been, what was it like? What did you like most? Where did you go? What did you do? If you want to go, what do you plan on doing? Where do you plan on going?

I've been dreaming of going to Japan since I was in 8th grade. I've had one opportunity to go, but I didn't win the scholarship, so I'm reapplying this year to try to get it again. Otherwise, I'm sure I will find a way to go, be it saving up to go or studying abroad some other way. I absolutely must go to Kyoto, Osaka, Tokyo, and Akihabara (shortened to Akiba) when the cherry blossoms are in bloom. More than anything I want to go during cherry blossom season and go cherry blossom viewing. I also really want to see Kabuki live and experience real Japanese food, not the ramen we have here (they are very different). And of course I want to go shopping. I will go one day, I promise that.

message 2: by harshini (new)

harshini  (watchmeread) | 451 comments I really would love to go to Japan and it's pretty close from where I live! I think I will go after college maybe with my parents! There are a lot of places I would loove to go to!

message 3: by Hannah (new)

Hannah (faize) | 194 comments I want to travel to so many places. The one I want to travel to most has got to be Japan. It's so beautiful and I want to see everything there is to see there.

message 4: by [deleted user] (new)

The funny thing is, most Japanese who've lived there all their life haven't seen everything there is to see. :P But I agree, so many different regions have different cultures, going to one area of Japan doesn't allow you to experience all of Japan. I think to see everything, you'd have to spend a year or more there, or make multiple trips.

message 5: by McKenna (new)

McKenna I am only going into eighth grade but I am trying to convince my parents to be an exchange student there for a year. i have always wanted to go even before I read manga and watched anime but now that I have I want to even more!

message 6: by Hannah (new)

Hannah (faize) | 194 comments I think after I graduate high school, I might want to do an immersion study in Japan.

message 7: by [deleted user] (new)

This fall I'm reapplying for the Critical Language Scholarship, which sends people to the country to study a language over the following summer. It pays for airfare, living arrangements, food (depending on where you stay), but not for extra expenses. That's up to the person going.

message 8: by McKenna (new)

McKenna cool how do you get into that?

message 9: by [deleted user] (new)

Just search for the Critical Language Scholarship. As far as I know, it's only for college students though.

message 10: by McKenna (new)

McKenna Thanks maybe Ill do that when Im in college.

message 11: by Selena (new)

Selena (sailorstar165) | 2018 comments Mod
I went to Tokyo, Kyouto, Hakone, and Osaka while I was in Japan. It was... so clean. O.o America could learn a thing of two from the Japanese, me thinks.

Anyway, I ate all the Japanese food I could get a hold of, including Takoyaki (fried octopus balls) and okonomiyaki (think Japanese pancake/pizza). Osaka I saw Osaka Castle. Kyouto a ton of shrines (so many shrines in Kyouto). Took a bath in a "hot spring" in Hakone (our hotel pumped up hot spring water to the roof ^^). Tokyo we got to go to Tokyo Tower, Harajuku, and a bunch of other places. :D

message 12: by Jamie (new)

Jamie (juvia_winter) | 195 comments Wow, Selena, that sounds so wonderful. How long were you there for?

message 13: by [deleted user] (new)

Selena, that's amazing. I've always wanted to eat authentic Japanese food. I've made sushi, and have eaten at a sushi restaurant, but that's about it. Well, and I love Pocky and Ramune. :)

message 14: by Selena (new)

@Jamie: I was there for about ten days.

@Wednesday: Sushi is delicious~ If you can find an Asian grocery store, you can buy the stuff to make Okonomiyaki (there's a kind of mix for the "pancake" part and the Okonomi sauce) and just google the recipe. :) It's not too hard, and "Okonomiyaki" is pretty much whatever you want to throw into it. As for Takoyaki, I've seen frozen Takoyaki at my Asian grocery store that you just throw into the oven. Haven't tried them yet. It's a big bag and I would want to share. XD

message 15: by [deleted user] (new)

I have an Asian grocery store in the area, but don't always have the money. It's not always a matter of price, but what I need the money for (stupid high gas prices). Actually, my local King Soopers now sells Ramune, so I don't have to travel as far for it. They sell chocolate, strawberry, and almond crunch Pocky too.

When I have more money I don't really need for anything else, I'd love to go through a Japanese recipe book and make various Japanese recipes.

message 16: by Kristen (new)

Kristen | 1392 comments Wednesday wrote: "I have an Asian grocery store in the area, but don't always have the money. It's not always a matter of price, but what I need the money for (stupid high gas prices). Actually, my local King Sooper..."

I always feel bad when I go to the local Asian market. I just end up buying only Pocky.

message 17: by [deleted user] (new)

I just wish that more Pocky flavors would be released in America. I've always wanted to try the Chocobanana. I've had chocolate, strawberry, and strawberry tsubu tsubu (it has chunks of strawberry in the cream).

message 18: by Selena (new)

There are tons of Pockey flavors in the US. It just depends where you go. The one Asian grocery store by me (so authentic, no one speaks English) has a dozen or so flavors that vary every visit. Most stores only have the more Americanized flavors like chocolate.

message 19: by Kristen (new)

Kristen | 1392 comments Wednesday wrote: "I just wish that more Pocky flavors would be released in America. I've always wanted to try the Chocobanana. I've had chocolate, strawberry, and strawberry tsubu tsubu (it has chunks of strawberry ..."

I love the strawberry tsubu tsubu ones. They're so good.

Hmmm...We're straying a bit off topic. I think I'm going to make a Japanese food topic.

message 20: by [deleted user] (new)

Okay. Thanks. Yes, perhaps talking about Pocky on a travel topic is a little off topic. Pocky is just that amazing. And I love food in general. lol