Shoujo Manga Book Club discussion

Monthly Reads > Gentlemen's Alliance Cross Reviews

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by [deleted user] (new)

Here is where you can post your reviews for The Gentlemen's Alliance. Please leave spoilers out or mark them as spoilers. If you don't know how to mark spoilers, click the (some html is okay) button above the text box when posting. It'll explain it.

message 2: by [deleted user] (new)

Title: The Gentlemen's Alliance
Author: Arina Tanemura
Rating: 2 stars

I'm not sure about this series. I've heard good things about it, but I wasn't too impressed. I'm not sure what relevance the title has to the story, nor am I sure where the plot is going. However, I do adore Arina Tanemura. She has a unique, beautiful style of art.

The beginning of the first volume was a little confusing. I wasn't quite sure what was going on. In fact, I'm still not sure what's going on. I don't think I got proper explanation of the characters, Haine's home life, Haine's parents, Haine's relationship with Shizumasa.... I felt like the first two chapters were kind of pointless. They didn't explain much, and were kinda crazy and random. Things weren't explained in full until the final two chapters.

The only character I liked was Maora. Haine was obnoxious and thick-headed, Shizumasa was a jerk, and Ushio didn't really seem to have a place in the book. She was Haine's friend, and was only nice to her, but didn't seem to support Haine too much. Maora was always encouraging and helping Haine, plus was high spirited, but not in an annoying way.

I think too much happened in the first volume, yet too little happened. What I mean by this is that a lot went on -there was a lot of action; But next to nothing was explained, nor did the plot really get any form of development. I will continue to the second volume to see if things slow down a little and more plot is developed, but if not, I might give up on this series.

message 3: by Hannah (last edited Jun 20, 2012 06:00PM) (new)

Hannah (faize) | 194 comments The Gentlemen's Alliance Cross Vol. 1 follows Haine, a former Yanki, as she does everything possible to get closer to the "Emperor" of her school, Shizumasa.

The tale of a hopeless romantic, out on a quest to make the man she loves (view spoiler) It was...I think the right word is "fluffy." It wasn't too well-written (though this may be because it is volume one, and a lot of pressure is put on the author to make it entertaining, comprehendible, and explanatory). Haine is determined to make Shizumasa love her, even though he's extremely rude, "broody", and (view spoiler)

The lead characters were a bit cliché, but not as irritating as some others I've read about. There were a few moments of humor which I enjoyed, and I wouldn't mind rereading it again. Overall, I give it 3 stars.

message 4: by Kristen (new)

Kristen | 1392 comments I normally do my best to be understanding of varying tastes whenever I say that I don't like a series. I try to say something positive about it and say something like "It wasn't for me". But, UGH. I thought that Gentlemen's Alliance was horrible. I read four volumes and they just got progressively worse over time. Every single character was in love with Haine or Shizumasa. All of them. Girl or boy, it didn't seem to matter. Everything was some sort of plot twist or drama and the only redeeming quality for Haine was that she was optimistic. Sometimes. It was so cliche and unpleasant to read.