Shoujo Manga Book Club discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Archive > Skip Beat Reviews

Comments Showing 1-16 of 16 (16 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by [deleted user] (new)

Here is where you can post your reviews for Skip Beat. Please leave spoilers out or mark them as spoilers. If you don't know how to mark spoilers, click the (some html is okay) button above the text box when posting. It'll explain it.

message 2: by [deleted user] (last edited Jun 02, 2012 10:25PM) (new)

Title: Skip Beat
Author: Yoshiki Nakamura
Rating: 3 stars

I’m not as impressed with Skip Beat. I know it’s fairly popular, but the main character is kind of annoying. I give her props for being persistent and not becoming depressed over Sho, but she’s naïve and doesn’t listen to people very well. I think if Kyoko was a slightly different character, the series might appeal to me a little more. I think I will continue the series to find out what happens, but this isn’t one of my favorites.

message 3: by Cindy III (new)

Cindy III | 192 comments It was fun to read this book again. I read it a couple of years ago and liked it. I love how Kyoko has little demons and she tormented Mr. Sawara. She isn't perfect, but I like her. I think I'll read the rest of the series to refresh my memory and because I really enjoyed it the last time I read it though stopped around volume 16. I don't want to say more because it might spoil future volumes.

Nina {ᴡᴏʀᴅs ᴀɴᴅ ᴡᴀᴛᴇʀ} | 1118 comments I really enjoyed this! I mean at first I thought Kyoko was a pain the butt because she simply didn't have many reasons except for revenge to go into showbiz. But even so, I kept reading and I guess the when she does that audition for the commercial with Kanae (that arc), I really got into the story. I love Kyoko's determination, even if she is naive, she's always able to find her way in the end.

message 5: by [deleted user] (new)

Actually, it's the fact that Kyoko develops as the series continues that renewed my hope in Skip Beat. I didn't quite like her motive for joining showbiz, but she learns a lot as she tries to get it, which I think is what the president of LME wants. He's sees potential, but knows she needs work.

Nina {ᴡᴏʀᴅs ᴀɴᴅ ᴡᴀᴛᴇʀ} | 1118 comments I agree! Yes, I think it's her development as a character that made Kyoko the kind of character I wanted to read about. The president's a tricky fella haha making his own plans!

message 7: by [deleted user] (new)

To be honest, I can't stand a lot of those ditzy, overly eccentric characters. They remain that way throughout the whole series and it gets annoying. But Kyoko develops beautifully, despite being that kind of character.

message 8: by Hannah (new)

Hannah (faize) | 194 comments Skip Beat was a little hard to follow for me, mostly because all of the sentences were chopped up and separated by ellipses all over the page. It didn't help with the flow of the story.

Kyoko at the beginning was just a mindless groupie making puppy dog eyes at Sho. When she (view spoiler), which made me like her a tad more.

The thing I like most about Skip Beat is that, when Kyoko decides she wants to become famous, she didn't just *BAM!* achieve stardom in a day. In fact, the whole first volume is entirely about the audition process.

The development of the manga is kept at a steady pace and the plot does have potential. So I think I will continue with the series. It's a 3-star rating for me.

message 9: by [deleted user] (new)

I agree about the dialogue. That really threw me off and made it hard to follow what was going on. I also agree about Kyoko not achieving stardom in the first volume. It's always nice to see characters who don't get what they want right away. Even though the first volume isn't all that impressive, I can see why the series as a whole is popular. Kyoko really begins to develop a lot, which is something, at least I've noticed, that doesn't happen too much in manga. Or they develop, but it's too subtle. Character develop is one of my favorite aspects of a story, so I don't really care for static characters.

message 10: by Yue (new)

Yue | 67 comments I don't understand why this manga is so popular. Just finished the first volume, and boy, I disliked the 3 main characters. Kyoko got on my nerves. I don't like girls who go thru a complete make over just because of a guy (even if it is for revenge).

message 11: by [deleted user] (new)

Well, the first volume isn't all that great, but I've read the second and third volumes, and Kyoko does develop and improve. I don't agree with her motivation either, but I do admire her determination. What's different about this series is that she doesn't get what she wants right away. She really has to work for it.

Nina {ᴡᴏʀᴅs ᴀɴᴅ ᴡᴀᴛᴇʀ} | 1118 comments Yeah, the first one isn't great but the ones that follow get better. You really see how hard she has to work, and it's not always a good result.

message 13: by [deleted user] (new)

It's really refreshing in a manga. I've noticed in both YA books and manga characters don't really have to work that hard to get what they want. That's not always true, but it's the case more often.

Nina {ᴡᴏʀᴅs ᴀɴᴅ ᴡᴀᴛᴇʀ} | 1118 comments I know. And I'm so glad Kyoko is that kind of character. Her determination is admirable. I really love her! (despite her naivete sometimes)

message 15: by Kristen (last edited Aug 30, 2012 12:09PM) (new)

Kristen | 1392 comments I like Skip Beat. I like that Kyoko has (view spoiler). I like manga that have main characters like that. I also like that she is so hardworking and determined, even if it is for a kinda stupid reason.

I don't really care for the character designs, especially the men. Their chins are so pointy! I really don't get the pointy chin thing.

message 16: by Jean (new)

Jean (otakumom) I agree with you. In the earlier volumes, the male faces are so squished. I think in her later works it smooths out better.

Otherwise, I love, love, love, Skip Beat! Love Kyouko. And kudos Nakamura for weaving such an engaging story with amazing character development 30 volumes later and going!!!!

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.