Shoujo Manga Book Club discussion

Anime > Hayao Miyazaki

Comments Showing 1-26 of 26 (26 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by [deleted user] (new)

I gave Miyazaki-sama his own topic because he deserves his own topic. He's just that awesome. I love his movies. I've seen them all except Porco Rosso and some of his lesser known works. My favorite is Princess Mononoke. I also love Spirited Away and Castle in the Sky. I kind of grew to dislike Howl's Moving Castle after having read the book multiple times. Much as I like Miyazaki, I don't think the movie does the book justice.

Which is your favorite of his movies?

message 2: by Cindy III (new)

Cindy III | 192 comments He has a lot of good films. My favorite is Castle in the Sky. I also like Whisper of the Heart, although he only wrote the screenplay.

message 3: by Marajean (new)

Marajean | 58 comments My favorites are Nausicaa, Kiki's Delivery Service, Spirited Away, Howl's Moving Castle and Arietty.

I actually really like Warriors of the Wind *the first english version of Nausicaa. I watched it many many years ago and it still has a place in my heart. I don't watch it anymore for the simple reason that I really don't watch VHS tapes anymore.

I liked the ending song for Warriors of the Wind, which was kept from the original and in the new Nausicaa, sad I know.

I'm also a big fan of sad endings so that was another plus.

I still like Howl's Moving Castle despite reading the book also. I think they both have their own place.

The one issue I do have with Hayao Miyazaki/Studio Ghibli stuff is that the main characters all look alike.

Possible exception of Spirited Away though. But Kiki, Nausicaa, Princess Mononoke etc are pretty much interchangable in their looks. And the main guys always look alike too. I do love that the extra characters are very diversified though.

message 4: by [deleted user] (new)

Marajean wrote: "My favorites are Nausicaa, Kiki's Delivery Service, Spirited Away, Howl's Moving Castle and Arietty.

I actually really like Warriors of the Wind *the first english version of Nausicaa. I watched ..."

My boyfriend pointed out that he uses a lot of the same faces. Can't decide whether or not this is a good or bad thing. I mean, it makes his style very recognizable, but it also doesn't give much variation. I have noticed, though, that a lot of Japanese animators and mangaka tend to reuse character designs. The main characters in Black Bird and Backstage Prince almost look identical.

message 5: by Hannah (new)

Hannah (faize) | 194 comments I saw Spirited Away years ago. I want so bad to see it again, but I just haven't gotten around to it.

message 6: by Kristen (new)

Kristen | 1392 comments I can't believe that no one has said anything about My Neighbor Totoro yet! It's been one of my favorite movies since before I even knew what anime was! My Neighbor Totoro has my number one spot for Miyazaki movies, but I also really like The Cat Returns, Ponyo, Howl's Moving Castle and Whisper of the Heart.

message 7: by [deleted user] (new)

I love My Neighbor Totoro. I almost all the lyrics (in Japanese) to the theme. Aruko aruko watashi wa genki! I've seen it translated as "Hey let's go, hey let's go, I feel fine!"

message 8: by D.M. (new)

D.M. Dutcher  | 35 comments I was lucky enough to see Spirited Away in a theater. It was a midnight showing, just me and another man with his child and we were positively riveted to the screen. If I had to pick two, it and Totoro are my favorites. Totoro is a little vision of heaven.

I also like Pom Poko. Most people know it as the movie with the raccoons with giant err appendages, but it's actually a deadly serious story about what happens when a native culture faces extinction. The scene where all the tanooki try to pool their power to scare the humans away is incredible, and it's a very underrated film from them.

message 9: by [deleted user] (new)

I saw Spirited Away on Cartoon Network, which got me interested in his other movies.

I will have to check out Pom Poko. It sounds really interesting.

message 10: by Kristen (new)

Kristen | 1392 comments Wednesday wrote: "I love My Neighbor Totoro. I almost all the lyrics (in Japanese) to the theme. Aruko aruko watashi wa genki! I've seen it translated as "Hey let's go, hey let's go, I feel fine!""

I have that song on my iPod! I love it, even though the version I have is in Japanese and the lyrics that I remember from childhood are in English. Hey let's go! Hey let's go! I'm happy as can be. Let's go walking, you and me. Ready, set, come on let's go! :3

Iesha (In east shade house at...) (emberblue) | 378 comments I love all of Miyazaki movies-I think they should be a must-watch for every child and some adult too.:D

message 12: by Hannah (new)

Hannah (faize) | 194 comments I've only seen Spirited Away and Howl's Moving Castle. Both of which were awesome:)

message 13: by [deleted user] (new)

Faize, I recommend Princess Mononoke (my favorite), My Neighbor Totoro, and Castle in the Sky. I would say those are my top 3.

message 14: by Hannah (new)

Hannah (faize) | 194 comments I have a friend who loves Hayao Miyazaki's stuff, she's constantly telling me to watch them. I'm gonna go check and see if Netflix has them for streaming at all. Smiley face:D

message 15: by [deleted user] (new)

If your library has movies, I would check there too. The only problem is if they're not there, or they're in bad condition.

message 16: by Hanako (new)

Hanako Tachibana (otakusakura) | 13 comments Howl's Moving Castle is my all-time favourite movie! My sister and I first watched My Neighbour Totoro when I was about ten I think. That was how I fell in love with Hayao Miyazaki's movies! I love Princess Mononoke as well, and Whisper of the Heart. Arrietty is a nice tale with a good story, and Spirited Away is a true classic.

message 17: by Tulika (new)

Tulika (yuvaine) | 6 comments I am a huuuuge fan of Miyazaki!! His movies are so sweet and touching >.<

message 18: by Erica (new)

Erica | 12 comments i'm a big FAN of his movies, they are so inspiring.

message 19: by Hannah (new)

Hannah (faize) | 194 comments I watched Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind not too long ago, and I hate to say it, but I found it a little boring. Am I alone in that opinion?

message 20: by [deleted user] (new)

No, you're not. I didn't care for it either. I couldn't get through Porco Rosso either.

message 21: by Kristen (new)

Kristen | 1392 comments I didn't really like Nausicaa the first time, but I liked it a lot the second time. I think it's just because I had such high expectations: a friend of mine was constantly raving about it.

Personally I rather like Porco Rosso, but I know a lot of people who don't like it.

message 22: by [deleted user] (new)

So, I'm thinking of getting Sheeta and Pazu tattooed on my arm.

message 23: by Kristen (new)

Kristen | 1392 comments That sounds cool. Just make sure you go to a good tattoo artist.

message 24: by Jamie (new)

Jamie (juvia_winter) | 195 comments I like all of his films, but Ponyo is starting to become my favorite.

message 25: by Kayla Turner (new)

Kayla Turner | 3 comments I loved all of his movies, so it's really hard to pick a favorite. But I would have to say my favorite was "Howl's Moving Castle".

message 26: by Voldemort (new)

Voldemort (aeternumlux) His movies are brilliant. But my favorite will always remain Spirited away. After all this time I can't stop loving Haku. Dammit...