Shoujo Manga Book Club discussion

Anime > Anime

Comments Showing 1-50 of 85 (85 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by [deleted user] (new)

Anime is practically its own culture and has picked up a lot of popularity all over the world. Do you like anime? Which are your favorite anime shows? What do you think about manga being adapted into anime? Do you prefer manga over anime? Subs or dubs?

Anime is okay, but I think I prefer manga. Some anime I like is Sailor Moon, Pokemon, and Paradise Kiss. I haven't watched much anime outside of that. The only anime adaptation I've watched was Fruits Basket, and I didn't think it did justice to the manga, especially since it didn't even cover the whole series. Also, I can't stand English dubs of anime. I always watch anime in Japanese with English subtitles.

message 2: by Cindy III (new)

Cindy III | 192 comments I do like anime. Some of my favorite anime are: Samurai Champloo, Jyu-Oh-Sei, and Trinity Blood. I also like Eden of the East and Tokyo Majin, but I haven't finished watching yet. I don't like manga being adapted into anime when it deviates from the original story a lot. I prefer manga over anime, but I have to give anime credit. I bought one of my first manga volumes to see what would happen ahead in an anime series. I have watched many anime dubbed, but I don't mind watching it subbed. In fact I should put a conscious effort into watching more subbed anime to learn Japanese.

message 3: by [deleted user] (new)

As far as watching anime to learn Japanese, it shouldn't really be a main resource. It's very useful for listening and pronunciation, but any language is best learned through years of study, either in a classroom, through books, or actually learning in that country. Granted, I have picked up a few words from anime (hyaku and matte were used a lot in My Neigbor Totoro, they mean hurry and wait), but it won't teach you grammar or hiragana/katakana/kanji. I hope I don't sound like I'm lecturing, I just don't want you to make the mistake of trying to learn Japanese through anime alone. It's good for listening, but not a primary resource.

message 4: by harshini (new)

harshini  (watchmeread) | 451 comments Since watching anime is what made me start reading manga, I love them both equally. Sometimes I read a manga series or sometimes I just watch the anime version of it. I don't mind if the anime is subbed or dubbed. But sometimes the vooices can be pretty weird in dubbed, lol!
I also read an entire manga series and then I watch the anime series as well, I am pretty complete that way!

message 5: by harshini (new)

harshini  (watchmeread) | 451 comments @Wednesday the best way of learning a language according to me is by just listening and then attempting to talk the language. I learnt two of the languages that I know right now by just talking to people, I don't know how to read or write them. So if I am gonna learn japanese I think I will have to try living there

message 6: by [deleted user] (new)

I hate when the dub doesn't match up with the lips. It's so awkward. Also when they pronounce names incorrectly. Being used to Japanese pronunciation from watching subbed anime, it's horrible to hear the English pronunciation of names. By the way, dubs tend to change things or take things out. The first season of Sailor Moon in America is missing episodes.

message 7: by harshini (new)

harshini  (watchmeread) | 451 comments Have you ever seen a single episode of Cardcaptor Sakura IS version Cardcaptors? I almost dies when I heard her talk!!!

message 8: by [deleted user] (new)

Harshini WatchMeRead wrote: "@Wednesday the best way of learning a language according to me is by just listening and then attempting to talk the language. I learnt two of the languages that I know right now by just talking to ..."

I'm a total language nerd, so I like to learn all aspects of a language. Granted, my speaking is weakest. I don't mean to offend anybody in anyway. I guess it depends on what you want to learn. I do think integration is an excellent way to speak proficiently, but if you want to learn to read and write, just watching and listening to anime is not really going to help.

message 9: by [deleted user] (new)

Harshini WatchMeRead wrote: "Have you ever seen a single episode of Cardcaptor Sakura IS version Cardcaptors? I almost dies when I heard her talk!!!"

The obvious English accents just don't go with Japanese anime. I mean, some people like that they don't have to focus on the subtitles and prefer the English, but I don't mind the subtitles. I think they're better than hearing the English dubs.

message 10: by harshini (new)

harshini  (watchmeread) | 451 comments Well I like just knowing to talk the languages lol. I only know two languages properly to read and write and speak!

message 11: by harshini (new)

harshini  (watchmeread) | 451 comments @Wednesday In Cardcaptors they also changed everyone's names :( I really am happy that I saw the Animax dubs!

message 12: by [deleted user] (new)

I'm not sure which is worse... Pronouncing the names wrong, or changing them?

message 13: by Cindy III (new)

Cindy III | 192 comments Wednesday wrote: "As far as watching anime to learn Japanese, it shouldn't really be a main resource. It's very useful for listening and pronunciation, but any language is best learned through years of study, either..."

You're right. I've learned the basics and I need to review. It would be a supplementary source.

message 14: by [deleted user] (new)

I'm so glad you didn't take that offensively. People don't like it when I go language nerd on them. I also didn't see your post in the Learning Japanese topic until after I posted here.

message 15: by Cindy III (new)

Cindy III | 192 comments You weren't insulting me, or anything. No need for me take offense. All I saw was advice.

message 16: by [deleted user] (new)

I'm used to people getting upset when I talk about language. Plus, most people take things really personally.

message 17: by Cindy III (new)

Cindy III | 192 comments It's too bad. When I feel under pressure I take things personally. I don't know about other people, but it can be intimidating.
Is Japanese the only language you want to learn?

message 18: by [deleted user] (new)

Actually, I'm mostly fluent in Spanish, I just have to practice a little more. I also took French in high school, and eventually want to learn Korean.

message 19: by [deleted user] (new)

I have decided to start watching more anime, starting with Cardcaptor Sakura. :)

message 20: by Cindy III (new)

Cindy III | 192 comments Cool. You have quite the experience with learning languages.

message 21: by harshini (new)

harshini  (watchmeread) | 451 comments @Wednesday I think changing them is bad too, especially since I know what they are really called lol!
Wow, you seem to know a lot of international languages! I personally think you are awesome since I will definetly not have the patience to learn languages like that..!

message 22: by [deleted user] (new)

Everybody eventually figures out what they're good at. I just happen to be good at language. I love learning new languages.

message 23: by [deleted user] (new)

So, I just watched the first episodes of Ceres: Celestial Legend (Ayashi no Ceres) and Princess Lover. I was pretty impressed with Ceres and will probably continue the series and also read the manga. Princess Lover however, I'm a little mixed about. I like the concept, and the actiony opening was pretty cool, but there's way too much of an emphasis on the boobs! I think I'll watch the next episode to see where it's going (first episode left off with a cliffhanger), and then decide if I want to continue.

message 24: by harshini (new)

harshini  (watchmeread) | 451 comments I am planning on watching Samurai 7 since my friend has the CD collection of all the episodes and extras. I want to read the manga but oh well!

message 25: by Yue (new)

Yue | 67 comments Harshini WatchMeRead wrote: "Have you ever seen a single episode of Cardcaptor Sakura IS version Cardcaptors? I almost dies when I heard her talk!!!"

I watched the first movie in Japanese version: I almost died when I heard Yukito's, Kero's and Li's voices! OMG!! I prefer watching the anime in Spanish, their voices are pretty cool. :D

message 26: by harshini (new)

harshini  (watchmeread) | 451 comments the US english version is terrible! You should stick to your spanish ones, I dont think anything could be worse than that!

message 27: by Hannah (new)

Hannah (faize) | 194 comments I love anime!! I only recently discovered it, so I still have a lot of ground to cover. My first anime series was Black Butler, and I watched both seasons in just a few days, I loved it:)

So far, the anime shows I've seen are Black Butler, Fruits Basket, and Ouran Highschool Host Club, with the latter being my absolute favorite of all time. I don't think it will ever be topped.

Currently, I'm working on watching Death Note and Angel Beats.

message 28: by [deleted user] (new)

Have you read the FB manga? It goes a lot longer than the anime. I believe the anime only covers the first 12 volumes of the manga.

message 29: by Hannah (new)

Hannah (faize) | 194 comments FB manga....Fruits Basket? Yeah, I'd heard that the manga was a lot longer than the anime. How many volumes are there total?

message 30: by [deleted user] (new)

There are 23 volumes. I stopped somewhere around 20, but just picked it back up. I started over, and am now at volume 9.

message 31: by Leelee (new)

Leelee (meemee22) | 1 comments I love soul eater its so amazing another good anime is blue exorist, nana, marmalade boy and peach girl omg im sorry i said another not some lol o well i can go overboard when it comes to my anime sometimes but yeah if u watch soul eater i have a question is chrona a boy or a girl

message 32: by harshini (new)

harshini  (watchmeread) | 451 comments I am yet to see Black Butler, but I did finish most of the BB manga volumes. Its an on-going series so I think I will pick it up later!

message 33: by Yue (new)

Yue | 67 comments Harshini WatchMeRead wrote: "I am yet to see Black Butler, but I did finish most of the BB manga volumes. Its an on-going series so I think I will pick it up later!"

Yesterday I watched the first chapter of Black Butler. I am hooked! Now I am going to read the 3rd volume so I can catch it up, before watching the 2nd chapter :)

message 34: by harshini (new)

harshini  (watchmeread) | 451 comments I love Ciel, and Seb! The second season is different from the first of course!

message 35: by Hannah (new)

Hannah (faize) | 194 comments I watched seasons 1 and 2 all in a few days, it was SOO addicting. My favorite character is Finni!:)

message 36: by Yue (new)

Yue | 67 comments Hannah wrote: "I watched seasons 1 and 2 all in a few days, it was SOO addicting. My favorite character is Finni!:)"

Although your avatar is the Reaper hehe

message 37: by Hannah (new)

Hannah (faize) | 194 comments That is true. I also like Grell:D
There really aren't any characters that I don't like. I even like Alois at times, how messed up is that!?!

message 38: by harshini (new)

harshini  (watchmeread) | 451 comments It isnt messed up, I love those characters!! The Reaper just is AMAZING!! He is one of my favourite mystery characters!

message 39: by jenny (new)

jenny I haven't watched too many anime. I definitely like manga better. My favorite anime is Full Metal Alchemist, but I've also enjoyed Inu Yasha and Princess Tutu. Black Butler sounds interesting. I just put it on Netflix instant queue.

message 40: by Marajean (new)

Marajean | 56 comments I love Princess Tutu! It's so evil.

Not as evil as Narutaru though.

message 41: by jenny (new)

jenny Marajean wrote: "I love Princess Tutu! It's so evil.

Not as evil as Narutaru though."

I haven't heard of Narutaru. I'll have to check it out. Princess Tutu is my daughter's favorite anime. She owns it so I've seen it a few times. I can never get the image of that dancing anteater out of my brain ;p

message 42: by Marajean (new)

Marajean | 56 comments bwahahaha.

Narutaru is completely different from Princess Tutu. But alike in the terms of, oh, it looks so cute but it's actually mildly disturbing.

Narutaru is more than mildly disturbing. There's extreme bullying, murder, rape, abuse physical and mental. Most stuff is hinted at, you get the feel of it and think...does that mean what I think it means?

message 43: by Hannah (new)

Hannah (faize) | 194 comments That's kind of how Black Butler is. It's kind of a kids' anime, but also deals with some very disturbing material.

message 44: by Megan (new)

Megan M | 12 comments Anyone else super pumped about the new Sailor Moon anime that was just announced?

message 45: by Marajean (new)

Marajean | 56 comments What??

message 46: by Megan (new)

Megan M | 12 comments YES. Do some googling and you will find all the information. It's supposed to be a more manga based season, aimed at adult fans of the original show. Summer 2013.

message 47: by Jamie (new)

Jamie (juvia_winter) | 195 comments OMG! That would be amazing! I am also super pumped Megan. Did they say what channel this would be on?

message 48: by jenny (new)

jenny I'm looking forward to watching the new Sailor Moon. My daughter is super-psyched so I'll probably watch it with her.

I watched the trailer for Narutaru on youtube. It definitely had a cute and creepy vibe. I couldn't find any full episodes though.

Black Butler! I'm almost done with the first season and I'm loving it. The first couple episodes start out slow but it builds up nicely. Once you get to know all the characters and the action picks up, you're hooked!

message 49: by Yue (new)

Yue | 67 comments I finished watching the first season of Black Butler yesterday. I loved it! Even if the manga is better...

message 50: by harshini (new)

harshini  (watchmeread) | 451 comments I loved Princess Tutu I saw it years ago, so I don't remember much of the story! Maybe time for a re watch?

« previous 1