Dead Until Dark (Sookie Stackhouse, #1) Dead Until Dark discussion

Who should Sookie's 'man' be?

Comments Showing 1-50 of 81 (81 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

Tabby In the Southern Vampire novels (yes, the books True Blood is based on), Sookie goes through a few hunky guys. Who is your favorite? Who do you think she should end up with (even if he's not your fave) and why?

Sylvie I would love to see her end with Remy, Hunter's dad. Despite spending all her time with supernaturals, I think she'd be happiest with a regular guy, especially now that she has better control over her telepathic skills. Plus, she could be a mom to Hunter and help him avoid the pitfalls of growing up telepathic.

Kira Ahee I have always had a soft spot for Eric. He is my favorite. I think that Sookie and Eric should be together.

*book*lover* I just hope it's someone she can have children with, because it's so important to her.

Ashley Martin i personally think she will somehow end up with sam :) especially because eric will be pissed about what she did in dead reckoning

Ashley Martin no i didnt mean it like that but her and eric have been falling apart for a while and if the contract his maker made is valid then he would be forced to leave her anyways

Missyb After reading DeadLocked, I'm thinking either she'll end up with Eric, Sam, or no one. I'd rather see her with Eric or no one then Sam.

message 8: by Kirby (last edited Jun 02, 2012 05:45PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Kirby Missyb wrote: "After reading DeadLocked, I'm thinking either she'll end up with Eric, Sam, or no one. I'd rather see her with Eric or no one then Sam."

(view spoiler)

message 9: by Missyb (last edited Jun 02, 2012 06:04PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Missyb I'd rather see Sookie leave with Pam & Bubba to start their own crew someplace then for Sookie to end up with Sam. Just something about Sam I've never cared for. As for Hunter's dad, he's such a very minor character that I don't see that happening.

Ashley Martin i dont want her to end up with sam either i can just see it going in the direction thats all because the author always said that sookie will never become a vampire

Tangled  Speculation Spoiler for people who have not read Deadlocked.

It's obvious she'll probably end up with Sam but I liked old Eric before CH started to derail him by writing his more humorless and less likable aspects. At this point, I'd kind of like her to end up alone (possible as Sam's business partner), but able to warn off vampires, FBI or any who would control her.

Stephanie Sylvie wrote: "I would love to see her end with Remy, Hunter's dad. Despite spending all her time with supernaturals, I think she'd be happiest with a regular guy, especially now that she has better control over ..."

I've always liked Eric for Sookie..Until I read Deadlocked. Now he's pretty much unlikeable. It seems CH is emphasizing on Bon Temps baby fever, so I think Sookie will end up with Sam or someone she can have babies with. I like Sylvie's idea for her to end up with Remy. Alcide wouldnt be a bad choice if he would stop being a jerk!

Kirby On another thread, someone mentioned how it would be nice if it ended up being Bill, b/c that would bring it back full circle...but, I was thinking that SAM might would actually be the one that would make it a full circle. When it first started, they were attracted to one another but couldn't date b/c of their boss/employee relationship, Sookie's "disability," and Sam's secret. Now, they're partners in the business, Bill taught Sookie to control her telepathy, and Sam's secret is out of the bag. (view spoiler). I think that it would actually be nice for it to work out that way, for Sookie to have worked her way back to Sam...but not many people seem to like that idea...

What does everybody have against Sam?

Ashley Martin oh its nothing against sam at least with sam there is the possibility of a kid

Tangled  Speculation Kirby I don't think everybody hates Sam. I think he is a great friend and that can make for a good relationship. I just never felt passionately about him, and it seems like switching horses near the end of a literary race. Personally, as long as I see character growth and strength from Sookie, I'll be happy. Honestly Eric hasn't been very sexy for the last 2-3 books, so having Sam come in and sizzle at the end seems to be the plan here. It will probably work, though part of me thinks it feels a bit like Sookie waking up at Aunty Em's muttering "There's no place like home." before she gets married and pops out the kids. I am sure CH won't let me down that much, it just makes me worried. I would be fine with Sookie deciding she needs time away from all the men and making herself safe and strong at the end. I think she'll do something like that with Sam at least beginning a relationship though.

Ashley Martin i for some reason dont think we have heard the last from Quinn either

Kirby Ashley wrote: "i for some reason dont think we have heard the last from Quinn either"

I considered that, too. the phone call between them was kinda weird. but I never really liked Quinn...

Tangled  Speculation Kirby wrote: "Ashley wrote: "i for some reason dont think we have heard the last from Quinn either"

I considered that, too. the phone call between them was kinda weird. but I never really liked Quinn..."

It's kind of a personal taste issue with me. I always imagine Quinn looking like Mr. Clean (the bald guy in the white t-shirt who who sells cleaning products). Just not my cupppa.

Still I am glad that he finally learned how to use a phone. :)

Kirby Tangled wrote: "Kirby I don't think everybody hates Sam. I think he is a great friend and that can make for a good relationship. I just never felt passionately about him, and it seems like switching horses near t..."

oh, well, that does make sense. there have been a few passionate scenes between Sookie and Sam, but they weren't quite as steamy as with the other men. I do actually still like Eric, but I never did see how they could go the distance. I still really like Bill- I think he truly loves Sookie and I feel sorry for him. I hope Sookie at least stays friends and neighbors with him.

Kirby Tangled wrote: "It's kind of a personal taste issue with me. I always imagine Quinn looking like Mr. Clean (the bald guy in the white t-shirt who who sells cleaning products). Just not my cupppa.

Still I am glad that he finally learned how to use a phone. :)"

ha ha! I saw him as Mr. Clean, too! I just don't really like baldness- I prefer long hair, actually. and it just grated on my nerves the way he called her "babe" all the time.

however, I love tigers, so I did like him when he shifted!

Christina I know that Sam is probably one of the best guys for Sookie in the series, so I'll lock this answer in. He loves her so much that he is willing to allow her to be happy with whomever she chooses, and that is more than I can say about some of the other guys that she has to choose from. Admittedly, however, he has never been my favorite guy.

Kirby Ashley wrote: "oh its nothing against sam at least with sam there is the possibility of a kid"

someone on another thread said that CH had said that sookie will not have a baby...has anybody else heard that? I hope not- she's always thought about it and would be a good mother. (although, wouldn't it really suck having a telepath for a mom? no sneaking around, that's for sure!)

Christina gertt wrote: "Christina wrote: "I know that Sam is probably one of the best guys for Sookie in the series, so I'll lock this answer in. He loves her so much that he is willing to allow her to be happy with whom..."

I suppose that you're right. I will admit to being a bit biased here, for I am possibly ignoring obvious facts because I don't fancy Alcide and Quinn while I'm lukewarm when it comes to Bill. True, I don't like Sam much either, but I think that I like him a bit more than the other males. Also, I believe that I'm willing to accept Sam as Sookie's lover because he was there from the beginning and loved her before the other men came into her life.

message 24: by Susie (new) - added it

Susie In the beginning I really liked Alcide then he turned into a jerk and I started to like Quinn (I was able to look past the baldness because I have seen some men who look really good bald) but Sookie treated Quinn horrible in my opinion but he was always good to her. I mean come on when does family ever not come first? Plus I love tigers too lol!! It's been a while since I read the books but I think Quinn has always been my fav.

Christina Susie wrote: "Sookie treated Quinn horrible in my opinion but he was always good to her. I mean come on when does family ever not come first?"

I was never a Quinn fan, but I've always thought that Sookie treated him badly. I honestly couldn't believe that she kicked him to the curb because he put his family first, and it wasn't as if he had been in a steady relationship with her for an extremely significant amount of time. The nerve of that woman.

message 26: by Susie (new) - added it

Susie Christina wrote: "Susie wrote: "Sookie treated Quinn horrible in my opinion but he was always good to her. I mean come on when does family ever not come first?"

I was never a Quinn fan, but I've always thought that..."

I know!! ugh!! and he even killed that vamp for her during the hotel collapse/explosion.

Tabby Hmmm. Quite a few responses here. And a lot of good points. Personally, I've always liked Bill. He was her first everything and yes I believe he does truly love her. I think that if Eric hadn't lost his memory when Bill went to Peru in Dead To The World, Bill & Sook possibly could have worked things out. I KNOW they don't have much of a future together and I KNOW he can't give her a child, BUT they could be happy together for as long as they could...and there's always adoption. As for Eric, yes I did like them together...in the beginning. However, Eric is out for Eric and what Eric wants, no matter whose life he interferes with. As pointed out, I think he will end up being made to leave her anyways. Yes, I think Sookie treated Quinn badly. I think she was very selfish in her assumption that she should come before his mother and sister. As far as those two together? I think it could have worked, given half a chance. And when I picute Quinn, I don't picture Mr. Clean, I picture Vin Diesal :) Now Sam...I think Sookie might possibly be able to be happy with Sam, but I just don't feel like she feels about him as he does about her...although I really haven't felt that she has really, truly felt that way about any of her men. I think her feelings for Bill were as close as I've ever seen her ''in love'', though she doesn't even admit to that. She says she loved him, yes, but didn't know about IN love. Sookie is a pretty hard person to please when it comes to relationships. You would think someone with her ''specialness'' would be happy to have someone at all to share her life with---for however long that may be. As for she and Remy? I just don't see it. At all. I think ultimately (whether I like it or not, b/c I would like for her to TRULY forgive Bill and get back with him) CH is either gonna end her up with Sam, or end her up alone on a ''I am woman, hear me roar" trip. Guess we'll see...

Kirby Tabby wrote: "Sookie is a pretty hard person to please when it comes to relationships. "

true, very good point.

Donalee Ive always secretly rooted for eric.... That need to change someone so awful into the man (or vampire as it may lol) he could be and at times seems to long to be. I too agree that Sam isnt the best choice. Ultimetely it will probably boil down to Bill, which will be a sweet "full circled" ending..... However i still antisipate and wish for CH to dare to do the seemingly impossible and turn Sookie. Imagine how powerful she could be as a vampire lol Maybe she doesnt have to end up with anyone, they can all just live happily ever after in the after life :)

Sylvie Charlaine has said that Sookie will neither become a vampire, nor end up with one. So, that leaves both Bill and Eric out of the picture. Though, judging from events in Deadlocked, maybe that's for the best. As for the shifters, I think that Sam, Quinn and Alcide all have strong feelings for Sookie (especially Sam) but I think most shifters would prefer a mate who could share their dual nature, ie another shifter.
I still think Sookie would be happiest with a regular guy and living a quiet, uncomplicated life. Which would be possible now that she has better control over her abilities. (Remember when she used to call them her disabilities?)
I'm starting to think she won't end up with anybody in particular, but instead will walk off into the sunset with her future wide open.

message 31: by Susie (new) - added it

Susie Didn't they say if you change someone with powers they either lose them or go insane? It's been a while since I read them but I think that's what they said in this series.

message 32: by Anya (new) - rated it 2 stars

Anya i m rooting for a new character to come who is better than all her hotties..............even though i love eric(except in deadlocked)

Tabby All the comments about Deadlocked are making me wanna hurry up and finish re-reading the rest of the series (to refresh my memory) and read it! If she can't end up with a vampire, maybe she could TRY to not be so selfish and give Quinn another shot. Or maybe she'll meet a fairy guy she can be with? Whoever she ends up with will definitely have their hands full, because let's face it: Sookie can sometimes be a hypocritical b*tch and she is way to hard to please in the man department.

Laura Eric has always been my favorite!

Sylvie I don't think she's never been love with any of the men she's been with. I think she definitely loved Bill, and Eric too. I think that after the events in some of the later books that she became a lot more cynical, so it's harder for her to genuinely love now.

message 36: by Ann (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ann Boots I was pulling for Eric until Deadlocked (He was a real jerk in that one) The door is open for a few different guys, Quinn (Who I liked and I thought she was wrong to let go of) Bill and even Sam. I'm thinking that after all this time she might end up with Sam.

Micante' James Kira wrote: "I have always had a soft spot for Eric. He is my favorite. I think that Sookie and Eric should be together."

I Agree :)

Kirby Sylvie wrote: "I don't think she's never been love with any of the men she's been with. I think she definitely loved Bill, and Eric too. I think that after the events in some of the later books that she became a ..."

yeah, I remember how tore up she was when she found out about bill...but I'd need to read it again to make sure that it wasn't more b/c she was feeling stupid for trusting him.

Cat Baring in mind, I have not read the lastest Sookie Stackhouse book, so I don't know if anything has changed romantically.

Hear me out on this, but since day one I have always thought she'd end up with Sam. They may be friends, but how many romantic encounters have they had? How much sexual tension has there been? I'm sure Charlaine Harris has been bulding up on this! (Although I could be wrong!)

So, yeah, Sam anybody? Even though Eric is hot as hell, I've always had a soft spot for Sam.

Julie For the longest I was on team Eric, but these days I'm hoping it will Sam in the end.

Heather I've been rooting for sam since book one!

Tabby gertt wrote: "Sookie seems hard to please and a hypocrite because she has never been in love with any of the men she's been with. She claimed to love Bill, Quinn and Eric, but constantly found fault with them a..."

So totally agree with you on this one.

message 43: by Susie (new) - added it

Susie Hmm, I'm sure my feelings are coming from watching True Blood but I never really liked Sam, but like I said it has been a while since I read them and my opinion is tainted from the tv show.

I think Quinn was the only one who never betrayed or turned his back on her. That can't be said for Eric, Bill, or Alcide. (still not sure about Sam)

Kirby Susie wrote: "I think Quinn was the only one who never betrayed or turned his back on her. That can't be said for Eric, Bill, or Alcide. (still not sure about Sam)"

I don't think sam's done anything like that in the books.

message 45: by Okie (new) - rated it 5 stars

Okie I've always been torn between Quinn and Alcide.
POTENTIAL SPOILER!!!
I was really unhappy with Harris for the insane and totally inadequate 'reason' Sookie called it off with Quinn. Sookie made him choose between caring for his clearly unstable mom and herself. Any man willing to care for his mom is aces in my book. If there was supposed to be some sort of unhealthy relationship between Quinn & his mom, Harris didn't support it well enough. To me, the mom looked just unstable enough to need help. And as far as Alcide, I chalked up most of his reticence as either a man's typical inability to communicate, or as loyalty to the pack above all else. I think being the alpha's mate and pack shaman would be right up Sookie's alley. Loyalty rates ridiculously high for me, & I've always loved wolves.

Elizabeth Senger Kirby wrote: "Missyb wrote: "After reading DeadLocked, I'm thinking either she'll end up with Eric, Sam, or no one. I'd rather see her with Eric or no one then Sam."

[spoilers removed]"

I agree :( boooo

message 47: by Okie (new) - rated it 5 stars

Okie gertt, I couldn't get past the whole random sex thing either. And I agree about the fishiness of pushing her to take mind altering drugs. When you put it like that it makes me wonder what I saw in Alcide in the first place. Guess I'm just a sucker for werewolves. ;-P

Tabby gertt wrote: "Bill never turned his back on Sookie, and I don't feel he betrayed her either. When he came to Bon Temps for the Queen he didn't know Sookie and I believe he fell in love with her soon after he me..."

Amen! Call me a sucker (no pun intended), but I've always loved her and Bill together. I hope it comes around full circle and she gets back with him.

Tabby Okie wrote: "I've always been torn between Quinn and Alcide.
POTENTIAL SPOILER!!!
I was really unhappy with Harris for the..."

I agree. I think the way she treated Quinn was grossly unfair. She did seem happiest with Quinn yet she threw him away like a sack of trash all because she didn't wanna share. Selfish, Sookie. Very selfish.

message 50: by Tangled (last edited Jun 17, 2012 09:46AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Tangled  Speculation I although I really enjoy Ms Harris' work, I have notice that in TSVM series, every time Sookie breaks up with someone, there is an outside force or interests rather than Sookie simply saying her feelings have changed or that she's grown or whatever. The outside reason also makes whatever precipitated the break up not the man's fault.

Bill (view spoiler). Outside forces. No reason to address issues that were developing before the incident. No blame.

With Alcide there wasn't much to break up, but (view spoiler) Not his fault, but an outside force that eliminated him without Sookie having to think about what she really wants. No blame.

Then with Quinn the "problem" (view spoiler) Not his fault. Sookie doesn't have to think about what she wants (other than a man without strings and baggage). No blame.

Now she's with Eric. Surely he can spoil her. But wait. (view spoiler) Not his fault. She doesn't have to think about the relationship on its own and what she wants. Outside forces. No blame.

They are fun books and I enjoy them, but just once I'd like Sookie's choices to be based on what she sees as going on in her relationships, whether it's being ignored by a workaholic, a lack of intimacy, or a lack of empathy and respect. She could raise those issues for discussion like an adult and decide on whether or not they as a couple could work on the problem or if it is not worth saving. She should choose what she wants and make decisions instead of letting outside forces push her around and take the decisions away from her.

« previous 1