You'll love this one...!! A book club & more discussion

Challenges: Monthly > June 2012 Challenge - Let's Go to the Beach

Comments Showing 1-50 of 148 (148 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3

message 1: by Janice, Moderator (new)

Janice (jamasc) | 48713 comments For June 2012, the challenge is "Let's Go to the Beach".

In honour of summer, read a book that you would take to the beach or travel with.

Just what is "a beach read"? I found the following definition: "A good beach book is engaging and a quick enough read that you can finish most of it before your sunscreen wears off. Beach reading isn't necessarily literature, but it will entertain."

Genres that seem to be common beach reads are romance, thrillers, young adult, chick lit, or something smart but not too heavy.

The rules:

1. The book must qualify as a beach read according to the definition above. (Tell us what book you want to read and why you think it meets the definition before reading so that we can help you determine if it fits.)
2. The book may be in any format - paperback, ebook, audiobook.
3. The book may be in any genre.
4. The book may not be combined with the June Group Reads.
5. The book must be read between June 1 and June 30, 2012.

Point Qualifiers:

Genre:

10 points - Romance
4 points - Young Adult
3 points - Mystery
2 points - Chick Lit
1 point - Paranormal Fantasy

Theme:

5 points - Summer Holidays
4 points - Wedding
3 points - Adventure
2 points - Sports
1 point - Music

5 points - Scotland
4 points - Norway
3 points - California
2 points - Hawaii
1 point - Florida

Author:

5 points - Last name starts with a B, E, A, C, or H
4 points - Lives near the ocean
3 points - Has 3 names
2 points - First name is one syllable
1 point - is Female

Cover:

5 points - Is primarily black
4 points - Has a beach chair on it3 points - Has a sun on it
2 points - Red lettering
1 point - Author's name across the top

Title:

5 points - Is one word which starts with the letters "S, U, M, M, E, or R"
4 points - Is one word that starts with any other letter than named above
3 points - Has the word, "Father" in it
2 points - Has a name of a city in it
1 point - Has the name of a fruit in it.

Stars:

5 points - 5 stars
4 points - 4 stars
3 points - 3 stars
2 points - 2 stars
1 point - 1 star

Bonus Points: 10 points each:

1) Fathers Day: The main character is a father.
2) Great Outdoors Month: The story is about a camping trip.
3) Perennial Gardening Month: One of the characters is an avid gardener.

Bonus Points for Audio Books:

1) Audio Book Appreciation Month: 10 points if you listen to your book.
2) First Audio Book Ever: If this is your first audiobook, add an additional 25 points.

message 2: by Janice, Moderator (new)

Janice (jamasc) | 48713 comments You may garden to audiobooks. You could even take a bath, or sit on the throne to audiobooks. I was going to put bonus points for the Bathroom Reader Month, but couldn't think how to include it. Oh well, I think we have enough qualifiers out there to change it now.

message 3: by Robin (new)

Robin | 238 comments Yay! I have been anticipating the next challenge!

Cheryl is busier irl atm. (cherylllr) Sounds like fun!

message 5: by Janice, Moderator (last edited May 30, 2012 07:57PM) (new)

Janice (jamasc) | 48713 comments Cheryl in CC NV wrote: "Sounds like fun!"

That's the idea. Beach reads are not heavy reads. They are light, fluffy, and fun!

message 6: by jaxnsmom (new)

jaxnsmom | 8271 comments Wow Janice - This sounds like it's going to be a lot of fun!! Gotta look through my tbr and start making a list.

message 7: by Lara (new)

Lara | 1426 comments This is a great idea! I'm in. Light reading is right up my alley right now.

message 8: by Lara (new)

Lara | 1426 comments Well, a quick review of the books I want to read (and already own) has narrowed by list initially to an Amanda Quick book. This is one of pseudonyms of Jayne Ann Krentz. Her books tend to be romantic suspense. They are formulaic, but I really like her smart, feminine heroines and alpha males. The Amanda Quick books are all historical romances set in the UK. Some have paranormal aspects and others don't.

The two I'm currently deciding between are Seduction and Surrender.

message 9: by Janice, Moderator (new)

Janice (jamasc) | 48713 comments Lara wrote: "Well, a quick review of the books I want to read (and already own) has narrowed by list initially to an Amanda Quick book. This is one of pseudonyms of Jayne Ann Krentz. Her books tend to be romant..."

I think both of them fit this challenge. Seduction piques my fancy.

message 10: by Lara (new)

Lara | 1426 comments Janice wrote: "I think both of them fit this challenge. Seduction piques my fancy. "

Thanks Janice. Her books are pretty easy reading with strong female heroines with a sense of humor.

message 11: by jaxnsmom (new)

jaxnsmom | 8271 comments Gaeta1 wrote: "Ha! I need a break from my heavy reading, and there's a couple of well-reviewed romances I've been thinking about. 'Cause we are pretty much being asked to read Scottish romances--if we want to win..."

A Scottish romance with a wedding (and weddings have music) on a Scottish holiday :)

message 12: by jaxnsmom (new)

jaxnsmom | 8271 comments Lara wrote: "The two I'm currently deciding between are Seduction and Surrender."

And both are one word titles starting with S. Good start for points :)

message 13: by Janice, Moderator (new)

Janice (jamasc) | 48713 comments Get your kilts on and whet up the old bagpipes. There'll be a ceilidh coming up. Ceilidh (pronounced Kay-lee) is a party with dancing.

message 14: by KimM (new)

KimM I'll be listening to:
Mockingjay by Suzanne Collins audiobook

message 15: by Janice, Moderator (new)

Janice (jamasc) | 48713 comments Awesome picks Gaeta & Kim M. I'm going to read Track Of The Cat. There's nothing like a good mystery to transport you away.

message 16: by Sam (new)

Sam (ecowitch) | 2116 comments Well I think I've got to read Dead in the Family for this one, seems the most apt out of all those on my to read pile (and was the first to spring to mind when thinking about beach reads!). Now just got to dig it out of the pile without the whole lot collapsing!!!

Cheryl is busier irl atm. (cherylllr) I'm not going to worry about points! I just want to get another book off my physical shelves. I'll try Box Socials by W.P. Kinsella Box Socials by W.P. Kinsella if it qualifies...?

message 18: by Janice, Moderator (new)

Janice (jamasc) | 48713 comments Cheryl in CC NV wrote: "I'm not going to worry about points! I just want to get another book off my physical shelves. I'll try Box Socials by W.P. Kinsella Box Socials by W.P. Kinsella if it qualifies...?"

Sounds like a good beach read to me. What's more summer than going to the beach or playing/watching baseball. You might get extra points for picking a book that is set close to my hometown.

message 19: by Janice, Moderator (new)

Janice (jamasc) | 48713 comments Judy wrote: "I'm looking at reading something by Elizabeth Berg. But just out of curiosity would The Liars' Club qualify? (I'm not very adept at determining what is chick-lit since I've seen men on GR read boo..."

Hmmm... I don't think it fits the sterotypical beach read. Think light, easy-to-read, not many brain cells die as a result of reading it. You might be better off with Elizabeth Berg.

message 20: by Snoozie Suzie (new)

Snoozie Suzie (snooziesuzie) | 937 comments I have just read DADDY by DEMAND. Does this qualify as a beach read? If so I will point it up!

message 21: by Lara (new)

Lara | 1426 comments Gaeta1 wrote: "Judy, how about Crocodile on the Sandbank or Naked Once More by Elizabeth Peters? She is my idea of a frivilous fun read that is still worthwhile. Or The Devil in Music? Oops typo"

I think Elizabeth Peters is a great beach read choice. Her books are definitely light and full of adventure, and a bit over the top.

message 22: by Janice, Moderator (new)

Janice (jamasc) | 48713 comments Snoozie Suzie wrote: "I have just read DADDY by DEMAND. Does this qualify as a beach read? If so I will point it up!"

Point it up! :)

message 23: by Janice, Moderator (new)

Janice (jamasc) | 48713 comments Judy wrote: "Thanks for the rec Gaeta and Lara. My library has Crocodile on the Sandbank on downloadable audiobook. I'm almost finished with an Elizabeth Berg, but may read one more."

I listened to Crocodile on audiobook. I think you'll really enjoy it. The repartee between the characters will have you chuckling.

message 24: by Snoozie Suzie (new)

Snoozie Suzie (snooziesuzie) | 937 comments Janice wrote: "Snoozie Suzie wrote: "I have just read DADDY by DEMAND. Does this qualify as a beach read? If so I will point it up!"

Point it up! :)"

Thanks Janice. Will do. I'm not expecting many points, but it was en enjoyable light read. With a cute little girl and a cowboy (if you are into cowboys girls he has a six pack, toned biceps, etc). ;-)

message 25: by Janet (new)

Janet Killips Judy wrote: "Oooooo.....gardening, audio books, camping, all things I LOVE! How about if we garden to audiobooks....I actually do this. :-)"

I listen to audiobooks as I work. "Beach reads" are the best books for this because they don't demand too much of my brain. My job? I am a library cataloguer! :-)

message 26: by Janice, Moderator (new)

Janice (jamasc) | 48713 comments Snoozie Suzie wrote: "Thanks Janice. Will do. I'm not expecting many points, but it was en enjoyable light read. With a cute little girl and a cowboy (if you are into cowboys girls he has a six pack, toned biceps, etc). ;-) ..."

One of my friends likes cowboys. Her daughter has dubbed her "chuck bunny" because she's been hanging around the chuckwagon crews. Her boss is a chuckwagon racer. I'll have to recommend DADDY by DEMAND to her.

message 27: by Debra (new)

Debra (debra_t) | 6542 comments I'm not much in to romance, but here's one I've been wanting to read: Dracula in Love. Would that one be an acceptable beach read?

message 28: by Joe (new)

Joe | 93 comments I plan on reading 'Wolves of Willoughby Chase', a young adult novel from the '60s.

Cheryl is busier irl atm. (cherylllr) I read The Wolves of Willoughby Chase several times as a girl and mean to re-read it - maybe I'll do so this month, too. :)

message 30: by Lara (new)

Lara | 1426 comments Cheryl in CC NV wrote: "I read The Wolves of Willoughby Chase several times as a girl and mean to re-read it - maybe I'll do so this month, too. :)"

Joan Aiken is a fabulous author.

message 31: by Janice, Moderator (new)

Janice (jamasc) | 48713 comments Debra wrote: "I'm not much in to romance, but here's one I've been wanting to read: Dracula in Love. Would that one be an acceptable beach read?"

It looks like a fun read. So much so I've added it to my wishlist. Read away. I'm looking forward to your review.

message 32: by Debra (new)

Debra (debra_t) | 6542 comments I'll let you know what I think, Janice!

message 33: by Kate (new)

Kate Z (kgordon3) | 144 comments I read Garden Spells for this challenge. Perfect fit!

message 34: by Kate (new)

Kate Z (kgordon3) | 144 comments I listened to the first part of Garden Spells on audio book but then I was actually leaving on a trip and had no way to play the discs on the trip so I got the actual book from the library and finished the rest of it on the one hour plane ride to my destination and then while waiting for dinner that night. So it qualifies as a beach read in the "read it before your sunscreen wears off" way.

This book also gets the bonus 10 points for being about an avid gardenerer, Claire Waverly, but I think it should get extra bonus points because it also features a magical garden including an apple tree that throws it's apples at people. I found the magical realism aspect of this book quite whimsical. I am still on vacation and can't link to my review but if I am judging/scoring the book just on a fun beach read scale (as opposed to really good literature which reveals something about the human condition) this was a 4 for me. Fun, nice, easy book. Good sister dynamic, good love interests, a quirky and lovable supporting cast... And all neatly wrapped up with a bow at the end. That is kind of a perfect "beach read" for me

message 35: by Janice, Moderator (new)

Janice (jamasc) | 48713 comments Kate wrote: "I listened to the first part of Garden Spells on audio book but then I was actually leaving on a trip and had no way to play the discs on the trip so I got the actual book from the library and fini..."

Please score your book according to the criteria set out in message 1. If you prefer, you can do this when you get back from vacation.

message 36: by Snoozie Suzie (new)

Snoozie Suzie (snooziesuzie) | 937 comments Judy - I understood that for points for the title you get 4 points if the title of the book is one word but does not start with S, U etc. so if the book was called 'beaches' you would get the points, but I'd it we're 'memories of the beach' it wouldn't. Janice, is this right? I'm a bit confused having read Judy's points explanation for this bit!

message 37: by Almeta (last edited Jul 02, 2012 11:01AM) (new)

Almeta (menfrommarrs) | 10131 comments Okay I'm going to go for The Eyre Affair (Thursday Next #1) by Jasper Fforde. what do you think?

Changing to Third Grave Dead Ahead (Charley Davidson #3) by Darynda Jones

message 38: by Debra (new)

Debra (debra_t) | 6542 comments Snoozie, that's they way I interpreted it, also. The title has to be only one word long, I think.

message 39: by jaxnsmom (new)

jaxnsmom | 8271 comments I'm trying to read The Fixer Upper by Mary Kay Andrews, and I'm going to try and finish it, but it's painful. The main character is driving me up a wall!! Can a 28 year old '1st in her class' lawyer working as a lobbyist really be so gullible, and such an idiot? I want to frame her for some evil deed myself. Sigh...I might have to look for a back-up.

message 40: by Janice, Moderator (new)

Janice (jamasc) | 48713 comments Judy wrote: "The Pull Of The MoonThe Pull Of The Moon by Elizabeth Berg by Elizabeth Berg

Point Qualifiers:
Genre:
2 points - Chick Lit

Theme:
3 points - Adventure (She takes off out of the blue, no warning to hus..."

Nix the 9 points for the title. Suzie has the right idea.

For 5 points, you need a one word title in which the word starts with S, U, M, M, E, or R eg: like Scandal

For 4 points, you need a one word title in which the word doesn't start with those letters eg: Beaches.

Sorry Judy. I count 36 points.

message 41: by Janice, Moderator (new)

Janice (jamasc) | 48713 comments I finished my book for this challenge. I switched out my original choice and read The Aloha Quilt which was on my year long challenge.

Genre: Chick Lit - 2 points
Author: Jennifer Chiaverini Starts with a C - 5 points
Author: Female - 1 point
Stars: 2 - 2 points
Bonus points: Great outdoors. Main character runs a quilting camp in Hawaii. One adventure was a zip line. - 10 points

Total points: 22 points

message 42: by Sharon (new)

Sharon (shiari) | 16 comments Okay, for June, I am thinking of Tomato Rhapsody: A Novel of Love, Lust, and Forbidden Fruit. It's a romance (5), Alas the author USED to live in LA, near the Pacific Ocean but now he lives in Bend Oregon, which is a lengthy drive from the same ocean, Rhapsody starts with an "R" (5) and tomato is a fruit (1). And it's about gardening! (3) Okay, so only 14 points, but it sounds so delicious I'm reading it anyway ;-).

I'm also going to read Wild: From Lost to Found on the Pacific Crest Trail, which I've been wanting to read for a while and, as it's about adventure and camping, recovering from love gone wrong, a woman coming into her own, etc. etc. etc. I've been planning on it's being my summer read all winter!

I said I would read three, but that actually might be pushing things a bit so right now I am not sure what the third one might be. But, feedback please! Do these two fit in with the spirit of the read?

message 43: by Sharon (new)

Sharon (shiari) | 16 comments Here are my proposed reads. Let me know how well you think they qualify for the June Beach read!

1. Tomato Rhapsody: A Novel of Love, Lust, and Forbidden Fruit. It's engaging, readers say they devour it, and it's about love! (of women, of gardening, of tomatoes, and of rhyme, but hopefully good ones!).

It's Romance (10 points)
The title has an R in it (5 points)
And a fruit (1 point)
4 Stars (4 Points)
And there are several avid gardeners! (10).

For a total of 30!

2. Wild: From Lost to Found on the Pacific Crest Trail. When I first learned of this book, but in the deep freeze of winter, I resolved it would be my summer read as it's about a woman, hiking alone to heal her broken heart and shattered life. Apparently, readers just devour it!

I don't think the genre gets points though.
Adventure (3 points)
Location is California (at least in part) (3 points)
Author is female (1 point)
Cover has red lettering (2 points)
Title is one word (4 point)
Book gets 4 stars (4 points)
Great outdoors! (10 bonus points)

For a total of 27! Admittedly, though, this one is pushing the definition of beach read a bit. What do you think? close enough, or should I dive back into my TBR list and read this one in July/August?

message 44: by Gemma (new)

Gemma Ok, so I kicked off with Shakespeare's Landlord (A Lily Bard Mystery, #1) by Charlaine Harris by Charlaine Harris.

Genre: I think It could fall into romance, mystery and chick lit. Can I have more than one? if so - 10+3+2
Theme: -
Author: Surname begins with H - 5
Female - 1
Title: -
Stars: (is this what I give it?) 3

No bonuses.

So, 24?

I'm reading the second one in the series now so I imagine that will be much the same. May have to try and branch out after that...

message 45: by Janice, Moderator (new)

Janice (jamasc) | 48713 comments Judy wrote: "Thanks for the clarification, Janice. I'm happy wi..."

Are you adding 3 points for adventure, making your total 39?

message 46: by Janice, Moderator (new)

Janice (jamasc) | 48713 comments Sharon wrote: "Here are my proposed reads. Let me know how well you think they qualify for the June Beach read!

1. Tomato Rhapsody: A Novel of Love, Lust, and Forbidden Fruit. It's engaging, readers say they de..."

I have read Tomato Rhapsody and it's a fun romp. Enjoy.

I wasn't sure about Wild being a beach read since it's dealing with the angst of lost love.

Since you only need to read one book for the challenge, and Tomato has higher points, I'd stick with it and read Wild for your own enjoyment.

Please remember to score after you read the book because you may find themes etc, that you hadn't anticipated.

message 47: by Janice, Moderator (new)

Janice (jamasc) | 48713 comments Gemma wrote: "Ok, so I kicked off with Shakespeare's Landlord (A Lily Bard Mystery, #1) by Charlaine Harris by Charlaine Harris.

Genre: I think It could fall into romance, mystery and chick lit. Can I have more than one? if so - 10+3+2
Theme: -..."

Yes, I count 24 points.

message 48: by Janice, Moderator (new)

Janice (jamasc) | 48713 comments I think it does Judy. I will change it to 39.

message 49: by Snoozie Suzie (last edited Jun 06, 2012 02:26PM) (new)

Snoozie Suzie (snooziesuzie) | 937 comments So my book was DADDY by DEMAND by Karen Rigley by Karen Rigley

Romance 10
I'd say it's chick lit too 2
Wedding 4
Adventure 3 it is set on a ranch for visitors who can go horse riding, in trips, etc (does this count?)
has 3 names - my kindle copy says she is Karen E Rigley (does this count?)
Female 1
Red lettering 2
Stars 3
Bonus
Fathers day 10 it's about a little girl who decides the man is her daddy.

Total
38 35 or 32 - Judge Janice your ruling is required please ;-)

message 50: by Sharon (new)

Sharon (shiari) | 16 comments Sharon wrote: "Here are my proposed reads. Let me know how well you think they qualify for the June Beach read!

1. Tomato Rhapsody: A Novel of Love, Lust, and Forbidden Fruit. It's engaging, readers say they de..."

Oops! Just noticed Janice's reply to my note in the Introduce Yourself thread that Wild probably isn't a great choice for this since it's ... well... the OPPOSITE of what a beach read should be about. Doh! ;-)

So I'll remove it and stick to my first choice, which is a romantic romp and so far more suitable. Thanks, Janice!

« previous 1 3