Little Princes

Comments Showing 1-11 of 11 (11 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Tana (wanderingalice) | 75 comments Mod
Reading Schedule:

Week 1--June 1 thru June 8: Prologue, Part I, & Part II

Week 2--June 8 thru June 15: Part II & Part III

Week 3--June 15 thru June 22: Part IV & Part V

Week 4--June 22 thru June 30: Afterword, About NGN, & anything not discussed previously, new questions, &/or an overall discussion of the complete reading, thoughts, ideas, etc......basically ANYTHING

**Note: I include a reading schedule because it helps me stay on task and focused on the reading; however, if you want to get ahead or are behind, that's ok. This schedule is more to help keep us all kind of in the same place so when we discuss topics, there aren't any spoilers/surprises. Feel free to read as you please, but be warned...there may be spoilers.

OK...today is the day guys. I want to start by asking what you think about the subject? Interesting? Boring? General thoughts?

How far are you, Jordan? Do you like it so far? Any themes worth mentioning? I've decided to follow the guide in the back of the book. I'll post study questions from there for the remainder of the month.

Jordan (jordan_hickman) | 15 comments I really like it so far. I'm slowly making my way through it, so thanks for your patience. I love the kids and their outlook. They are teaching Conor more than he is teaching them. I can't wait to read more. Also, I have an e-book version I am reading off of and I'm not sure about the questions at the end. I haven't looked to see if they are there. What are your thoughts? (sorry so vague. Will have more thoughts soon.)

The kids are definitely tough by American standards, but to them, it's no big deal. They are survivors by nature. I like how honest Connor is in the telling of his story too...& funny. While I have in no way gone to the lengths that Connor has in helping kids, I know how he feels when he says something pulled him back to Nepal. He couldn't see his time there as done when he left the first time, something--morality, love, God--pulled at his heartstrings & he had to return. I feel the same way about teaching. I'm only subbing right now, but I feel compelled to keep going back everyday, even the days when I'm not at work, to check on the kids. They lack so much love & attention at home & at school. I can't stand to leave them without anybody to genuinely care for them, not just their grades.

Discussion questions for this week: (pg. 306 in my book)

2. Were you moved by the children's plight? What about the increasing number of children growing up in poverty in America? Do you see these children in the same way, or do you see their situations differently?

3. How might American children help their counterparts in places like Nepal? Thinking about the Little Princes, do you think we as Americans spoil our children and ourselves--do we buy more than what can truly be appreciated?

As in most situations, there are similarities & differences between American children growing up in poverty & Nepalese children growing up in poverty. For instance, the children in Nepal (in this book at least) are poor because their families are poor. They live in villages where there are no cars, no access to education, no access to jobs that pay well in a city, no standard of payment/wages that will allow them to assess what they need. In America, people have the opportunity to get an education & a decent paying job if one has the skills. However, there are also those trying to live on minimum wage. Unfortunately, minimum wage is not enough for any person to live on...not even paycheck to paycheck. So in this case poverty is the result of lack of skills/education. The emotions created by poverty are usually negative in both countries though; except it seems that the children of Nepal are not as aware of their poverty as the children in America. They have no standard of comparison as we do. The poor in our country are bombarded everyday with images of wealth, while in Nepal, this seldom happens because the poor live in remote villages away from cities. The Nepalese children in this book seem to bounce back from tragedy at a different rate than those in America, but I've only read this one book on their situation.
We in America definitely buy more than we can appreciate...at least the majority does. Not everyone, but it's rare to find those who don't. American children are terribly spoiled, but it's not their fault...it's the fault of the adults in their lives. As for myself, I try hard to store up my treasures in heaven & not on earth. It doesn't always work out that way, but it's always in the back of mind. Nepalese kids know more of living happily on little than most American kids. I love their spirit.

5. How did volunteering at Little Princes prepare Conor for having a family of his own? What did these children teach him about himself & about the world?

6. At the beginning of "Little Princes", Conor did not see himself as a global humanitarian, yet his visit to Nepal changed everything. What is it about him--& others like him introduced in "Little Princes"--that sets him apart from those who don't volunteer or get involved?

Jordan (jordan_hickman) | 15 comments I finally finished it! Yay! I loved it.

By volunteering with Little Princes Conor was taught patience and love and acceptance. He was once a cocky kid just looking for something to look good on his resume but his surrogate kids completely changed him. He was finally able to learn what it meant to take care of someone other than himself. It was so beautiful to watch as the kids changed and helped Conor when he wanted to do the same for the kids.

Jordan (jordan_hickman) | 15 comments I don't think that everyone is fit to be a humanitarian- much like Conor at the beginning of the book. But for some people all it takes is one moment and they are inspired for the rest of their lives. When Conor finds out the seven kids had been taken, well, that's when it became real to him. At that moment he was on a mission and nobody was going to stop him.

I think we all that want to serve, but we get it from various sources. Some volunteer to service their own ego and some do it to truly help others. I think Conor was a bit of both, but when Liz came around then it really became about servicing others. It takes a special kind of person to dedicate their lives volunteering and being humanitarians. We all think we have it but we obviously don't.

Overall, I thought the whole book was wonderful. I read 3/4th of the book in a matter of hours. I'm super tired but will have more tomorrow. I'm a little short on words right now.

message 11: by Tana (new) - rated it 5 stars

I think people have different callings. Everyone has a talent, but some choose not to recognize their talent. Conor eventually chose to recognize his & do good in the world. I love how he evolved throughout the book, like you said, from an egotistical man to a man who truly cares about children and the world in which they live. I also think it's sweet how he met his wife. I'm not one for mushy love stories, but I loved the story of how he met his wife.