Shoujo Manga Book Club discussion

Archive > Manga Recommendations

Comments Showing 1-22 of 22 (22 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by [deleted user] (new)

Don't know what to read next? Or have you just read a really great manga and wish to share? Ask for or give recommendations here.

message 2: by [deleted user] (new)

Bound Beauty is what I
what realy manga amazing
right now ^^

message 3: by [deleted user] (new)

What's it about?

message 4: by [deleted user] (new)

It's about Chiyako who can see threads that bound together by love but invisible from most people....later meets a group people are known linkers that shows her there's much more at stake than is finding true love.

message 5: by [deleted user] (new)

I'll have to check it out. Thanks for the recommendation.:)

message 6: by [deleted user] (new)

Your certainly welcome ^^

message 7: by Marajean (new)

Marajean | 56 comments I'd like to recommend and old but good manga, Please Save My Earth. The story is a bit slow to start and the premise doesn't sound that great but it's got such a great cast of characters and everything comes together so well. I love it.

I admit to trying to read the manga first and not getting into it at all. I wound up watching the OVAs and loved them. I really love the music also. I wound up reading the entire series and it's one of my favorites.

The story is about a young girl who has to watch her bratty neighbor. He's being especially bratty and tries to throw a plant of hers out the window and winds up falling out the window himself after she slaps him. This kid is only..9, the heroine is 14. When he wakes up he's not as bad and he really likes her *her name is Arisu, or Alice. They wind up becoming engaged because he wanted it and she was willing to go along with it because she felt so much guilt from what had happened.

Meanwhile Alice starts having strange dreams about a different life on the moon as a scientist from another planet studying life on earth.

The story is half told from the scientists on the moon and half told from the where they are now. At first it was exciting to find more people that remembered the same thing and realize it's a past life, but the more they remember the worse it gets and the past issues are coming out and affecting their future.

message 8: by [deleted user] (new)

I've heard of this series, and it seems very interesting. I'll have to try it out. :)

message 9: by [deleted user] (new)

I would really like to recommend Sand Chronicles. It's a good romance manga, but with a more depressing tone. Here's the synopsis:

After her parents get divorced, Ann Uekusa and her mother move from Tokyo to rural Shimane. Accustomed to the anonymity of city living, Ann can't get used to the almost overbearing kindness of the people in her mother's hometown. But when personal tragedy strikes, Ann discovers how much she needs that kindness.

If you like romance and depressing stories, then I really recommend this series. I am currently on volume 3, and I love it.

message 10: by harshini (new)

harshini  (watchmeread) | 451 comments Melissa wrote: "Bound Beauty is what I
what realy manga amazing
right now ^^"

Ooooh Bound Beauty sounds interesting!!

message 11: by Marajean (new)

Marajean | 56 comments Since everyone here seems to be a fan of Furuba, I'll suggest Tsubasa *not reservoir chronicles*

Tsubasa Those with Wings, Volume 1 by Natsuki Takaya

It's the same author as Fruits Basket. The heroine starts out as a thief and the hero is the officer trying to catch her. In truth he's chasing after her because he likes her, and he winds up giving up his job to follow her around.

Everyone is looking for Tsubasa, legend has that it'll grant you one wish so there's a large group going around that keep mixing with the hero and heroine. And people going after the hero trying to get him back as well because he's a genius. It's short enough, only three omnibus volumes, and a good time all around.

message 12: by [deleted user] (new)

Tsubasa sounds very different from FB. I'll have to check it out.

message 13: by Hannah (new)

Hannah (faize) | 194 comments Actually, this month's Gentlemen's Alliance Cross is the first manga book that I've read all the way through. I'd only been watching anime beforehand.

What is everyone else's favorites?

message 14: by [deleted user] (new)

Most manga is better than GAC. As far as Arina Tanemura, she has better manga, like Kamikaze Kaito Jeanne and Time Stranger Kyoko.

message 15: by D.M. (new)

D.M. Dutcher  | 35 comments Thanks for the outline of Tsubasa. I've seen it around and always wanted to pick it up.

Wednesday mentions Kamikaze Kaito Jeanne, which kind of is inspired by Saint Tail, Volume 01. Both have the same "magical girl stealing to right wrongs," but Saint Tail is more of a stage magician, and it's really a sweet little love story between Meimi/Saint Tail and Asuka Jr who vows to catch her, not knowing that Meimi both loves him and is the thief he is looking for.

message 16: by McKenna (new)

McKenna Dawn of the Arcana is really good. It is about a princess with red hair In a world where black hair is a sign of royalty. She has been locked in a tower her whole life and is then forced to marry a prince from another kingdom in order to bring peace. Then she finds out that she can see into the future! It's really good you should read it. :)

message 17: by Yue (new)

Yue | 67 comments I read the first volume of Kimi ni Todoke: From Me to You, Volume 1 and I was surprise I liked it so much. It is a dramatic shoujo about a girl who is bullied in school because of her resemblance to the creepy girl of the movie The Ring. Her life starts to change when the most popular boy in school takes notice of her. The heroine is really sweet, and I couldn't helped being sorry for her.

message 18: by [deleted user] (new)

I've been wanting to read that series, but I had to request at my library for them to purchase or interlibrary loan (borrow from another library). It'll be a while before I'm able to read it, but it looks really good. Plus, the artwork is impressive and unique.

message 19: by Kristen (new)

Kristen | 1392 comments I loved Kimi ni Todoke! Sawako is just so adorable!

message 20: by [deleted user] (new)

Yay! My library has decided to buy Kimi ni Todoke! I don't know how many volumes, but I hope they eventually buy them all.

message 21: by Irene (new)

Irene | 8 comments I love (and I think you'll love them too) mangas (or animes):

Clasics:
Sailor Moon
Marmalade boy
Hana Yori Dango
U.F.O
Sakura Cardcaptor
Evangelion (this is not shojo)
Kare Kano

-------------------------
Shôjo romantic (and VERY funny):

Faster than a kiss
Ouran High School Host Club
Koibana! Koiseyo Hanabi
Special A
Itazura na Kiss

---------------------------
Very romantic:

Absolute boyfriend ( I CRIED *_*)
Full moon wo sagashite
Fushigi Yugi

-----------------------------
Roimantic & sexy:

LD-K (all public)
B Gatta H kei (+12 and funny)
Midnight secretary (+12)
Kaikan Phrase (+14)

--------------------
Romantic & hentai:

Haou Airen
Virgin Crisis

--------------------------
Romantics:

Hana Kimi
Otomen
Kimi ni todoke
Hôkago Orange
Penguin Revolution
Parfait blue
La corda d'oro
Toradora!
All of Shiraishi Yuki: http://www.mangahere.com/author/SHIRA...

---------------------------

Others (I don't know...in which group do I must put them?, so...here hahaha):

Fruits Basket
Skip beat
Yoru Made Matenai
Dangeki Daisy
The melacholy of Haruhi Suzumiya
Elfen Lied (is not shojo but is romantic and i cried)

I have a lot! If you have read it all of them, tell me if you want and I will write here more. <3
Kisses!

message 22: by Jamie (new)

Jamie (juvia_winter) | 195 comments Irene wrote: "I love (and I think you'll love them too) mangas (or animes):

Clasics:
Sailor Moon
Marmalade boy
Hana Yori Dango
U.F.O
Sakura Cardcaptor
Evangelion (this is not shojo)
Kare Kano

----------------..."

Thanks for the reccomendations, Irene. It is a really great list, have you read all of these?