Vaginal Fantasy Book Club discussion

Group Feedback & Merch > Genres in Vaginal Fantasy

Comments Showing 1-13 of 13 (13 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Vanessa (new)

Vanessa | 54 comments After watching this month's book club, and the discussions about Fifty Shades of Grey along with the forum discussions, I was wondering is this along the lines of this book club?

Not just that 50 Shades is not a great book (so happy you ended up not picking it), but that it's not Fantasy/Sci-fi in any way. Same with Story of O, a classic which I would be interested to read, but not in the Fantasy/Sci-fi genre.

Now I love all types of genres of romance, I'm just curious if the original intent of this book club was to focus on the Fantasy/Paranormal/Sci-fi books in the genre or all genres of Romance/Erotic fiction.

Just off the top of my head I've read Romance versions of the following:

Fantasy
Sci-fi
Paranormal
Urban Paranormal
Romantic Comedy
Suspense
Historical
Erotic fiction
Contemporary (what would be deemed more traditional romance novels I guess)

Of course there are books that are combinations of many of these as well.

So are all genres game? What do you all think?

message 2: by Alex (new)

Alex (trienco) | 80 comments So far I get the impression that genres are kind of on rotation. So nobody has to feel left out, if (s)he doesn't like a particular genre.

On the other hand, it does feel like it's focused on the fantastic. Personally, I guess that might be a kind of saving grace, if the romance part falls flat (which doesn't really matter since a) geek, b) guy and c) sticking with just following the discussions for now)

Also, I think "shape shifting furry alpha male poster child for abusive relationships" should be its own genre...

message 3: by Jane (new)

Jane Higginson | 180 comments From what ive gathered it seems as though were exploring all of the genres which I really like, Im glad were not sticking with one particular type although I do love my fantasy books!
I also agree with you alex on the I think "shape shifting furry alpha male poster child for abusive relationships" should be its own genre... point lol

message 4: by Jeffery (new)

Jeffery Sargent (thesarge) | 169 comments @Vanessa You make a good point - as much as I love "Story of O", it only falls under fantasy insofar as it might be someone's fantasy, in which case, most romance falls under that heading ...for somebody. If the Fantasy aspect is that there is a fantastical element, then neither "50 Shades" nor "Story of O" fit the bill. In which case romcom, historical, erotic,contemporary, and even suspense, per se, don't belong either, unless they include a fantastical element.

message 5: by Seawood (new)

Seawood It's an interesting one...I was quite surprised to hear the panel suggest 50 Shades and O as they didn't really fit with my idea of what the group was aiming at (books not set in the "real world" with a romance element). But on reflection I think *this group* would be a great one to discuss *those books* with, iyswim?

message 6: by Jack (new)

Jack | 32 comments My understanding of the concept of this book club was to read 'romance' novels. To me, this means books from ALL categories because, let's face it, romance happens in all generas. I like having books from all over the map. It makes it accessible to to more people.

message 7: by Jeffery (new)

Jeffery Sargent (thesarge) | 169 comments But the name is Vaginal Fantasy - "vaginal" referring to female oriented stories, with a romantic element, and "fantasy" relating to the subject matter - something out of the real world.

message 8: by Jack (new)

Jack | 32 comments See, I read Vaginal Fantasy as being fantasies for your 'romance' fix, because let's face it, these books are our fantasies, no matter the genera it comes from.

message 9: by AnnaBanana (new)

AnnaBanana Pascone (snapdragnful) | 89 comments I actually thought it was specifically geared towards paranormal romance. I thought I recalled Felicia saying those were the books for which she originally coined the term Vaginal Fantasy. I thought that she had mentioned some authors in the historical romance area with the implication that we WOULDN'T be reading them. But I also watch them at work, so I can get a little distracted.

It does seem that they are going to try different genres (sub-genres?) which I love. I have never read steam punk or sci/fi romance, so it has already broadened my horizons. Thanks VF!

message 10: by Madison E. (new)

Madison E. (madiemartin) | 231 comments I'm with Sarge, but maybe I misunderstood. I do think it's great for this group to explore other genres of female oriented books.

message 11: by Marsha (last edited Jun 22, 2013 08:44AM) (new)

Marsha (queenboadicea) | 48 comments A few short days ago, I read about someone complaining abou the recent "New Adult" subgenre (or was it sub-subgenre?) that publishers are trying to fob on the reading public. Apparently this literary phenomenon was denigrated by an Alex Brown who thought that this was just a foolish way for publishers to create a new market in order to drum up sales.

Alex Brown (not certain whether this is a man or a woman) didn't care for one of the entries in this literary niche "The Registry" and roundly condemns the book for having underdeveloped characters, a premise that's never really explained and its unnecessary shunting into the New Adult subgenre in the first place.

I'm sorry for posting this here but, for the life of me, I haven't been able to find the original post. The article itself was easy to find http://www.tor.com/blogs/2013/06/book... but the discussion thread has been lost. This is the closest I could get to anything that was relevant.

Can anyone here can direct me to the proper post? If not, do excuse my posting here.

message 12: by Serendi (new)

Serendi I'm pretty sure "fantasy" does mean genre fantasy/sf, but any group like this has the additional set, "book the people who run the discussion pick, regardless of whether it technically fits." Which I am fine with.

message 13: by Nicole (last edited Jun 21, 2013 03:44PM) (new)

Nicole (lunakaos) | 165 comments I believe they very specifically said that this bookclub was for whatever romance books they wanted to read. The argument was made before and they did comment on it in one of the hangouts. I believe they don't want to be censored with what they read and seemed intent on their freedom of choice.
We have already read many different types of romance including historical 'bodice rippers' and erotica.