What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

Query abandoned by poster > ABANDONED. YA Fantasy set in the Black Forest - 90s?

Comments Showing 1-12 of 12 (12 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Mandi Kaye (new)

Mandi Kaye Ottaway (mandikaye) | 4 comments There was a book I read A LOT when I was a kid (so you would think I would remember it), and I can't for the life of me remember what it's called or who wrote it.

It's about a teen/young girl who goes to visit her Grandfather in Germany (the Black Forest area). Some sort of mystical/supernatural forces take him and the girl has to go through a sort of gauntlet to free him. The only thing I remember from this section is that one of the challenges was a riddle (because it blew my young mind) - "What's the beginning of the end and the end of time?" I think there was more to it than that, but the answer was the letter E.

The paperback had a purple cover.

Does anybody have any idea what I'm talking about?

message 2: by Deborah (new)

Deborah | 179 comments There is a poem in The Adventures of Sir Timothy with only one publication date of 2010 with a poem

It's the beginning of eternity.
The end of time and space.
The beginning of every end
And the end of every place.

It has a purple cover The Adventures of Sir Timothy by D T Yarbrough

message 3: by Mandi Kaye (new)

Mandi Kaye Ottaway (mandikaye) | 4 comments It's definitely not a poem. It was a young adult fantasy novel. But that is definitely the riddle that she had to solve.

There was a boy going through it with her, and if I'm not mistaken *he* was the one who solved the riddle, not she.

message 4: by Deborah (new)

Deborah | 179 comments Sorry, I had ment to type riddle instead of poem. I'm guessing that Sir Timothy isn't the book then?

message 5: by Abigail (last edited May 30, 2012 09:57PM) (new)

Abigail (handmaiden) | 389 comments What were the years, approximately, that you read this book? [ETA: Sorry, I guess you already said 90's in the subject line of the thread. Sometimes when information is only in the subject line, and not repeated in the body of the post, I forget that it was said.]

Any other details, even seemingly insignificant, that you can recall? Was the setting contemporary or historical? Real world, or invented land? Did the book seem new at the time you read it? etc.

That riddle dates to at least the early 1800s, so one could potentially find it in books published over a wide timespan.

message 6: by Mandi Kaye (new)

Mandi Kaye Ottaway (mandikaye) | 4 comments The paperback version I had was likely published in the 80s or 90s. It was contemporary fiction, set in real world Germany. The girl's grandfather lived in a tower of some sort (my memory recalls it being similar to forest fire towers) and she had gone to visit him for vacation. There was also a neighbor boy who helped her defeat the villains and save her grandfather - he was with her when she went through all of the challenges.

message 7: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

Lobstergirl | 38235 comments Mod
Mandi Kaye, are you still looking for this book?

message 8: by Mandi Kaye (new)

Mandi Kaye Ottaway (mandikaye) | 4 comments Lobstergirl wrote: "Mandi Kaye, are you still looking for this book?"

I never found it. :(

message 9: by Ann aka Iftcan (new)

Ann aka Iftcan (iftcan) | 6967 comments Mod
Mandi Kaye--if you bump your thread up every 30 to 60 days, you'll have a better chance at getting it found. This will keep the book active in the brains of those of us who are already members and will attract the attention of new members.

message 10: by Holly (new)

Holly (hollylovesbooks) | 761 comments It's not Victoria Holt's On the Night of the Seventh Moon, is it? It's not meant for kids, obviously, but it is about a young women who visits the Black Forest and there are supernatural elements and it has a purple cover. Doesn't sound like there's a grandfather in the book, but I thought it would be worth a mention anyway.

message 11: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

Still looking?

message 12: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

No response in 2+ years. Moving to Abandoned.