Fantasy Aficionados discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Achive > Featured Author Read - Author Invitation

Comments Showing 1-50 of 55 (55 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by MrsJoseph *grouchy*, *good karma* (new)

MrsJoseph *grouchy* (mrsjoseph) | 7282 comments Welcome to the new Fantasy Aficionados Featured Author Read!!

This group read is to have FA group author members suggest their own books for an author lead group read. The author of the winning book will be expected to lead one of the discussion threads about their book. There will be two threads for each featured author read: one with an author lead discussion and one where the author is not allowed to chime in with comments. This second thread is to allow readers to freely discuss their impressions without the author’s comments.

Here’s the rules for this first read but please be aware we will change the format based on group feedback:

1) Authors: Please sign up in this thread to have your book entered into consideration for the group read. Any author nominating their book must be an active member of the group. This means you must have 30 or more comments in order to participate. Spam posts do not count and will you get you deleted from the group, so please refrain from spamming the group just to get comments.

2) Your book must be accessible to the entire group. This means print and ebook availability. This also means that your book must be available in multiple digital formats as well. Formats required: print, .ePub and .mobi.

3) FA Members will vote as usual for the group read. Authors are allowed to vote for their book but are NOT allowed to try to drum up support from non-FA group members. If it is discovered that authors spam others to drum up additional support, their book will be disqualified.
Once the group votes, we will do the group read as usual.

4) Free Books: If any author would like to give away copies of their book, please PM me with the information.

I’d like to thank our sister group, Historical Fictionistas Becks and Jackie, for this wonderful idea and format!

message 2: by Becky (new)

Becky (beckyofthe19and9) Well I think this is just a fantastic idea! ;)

message 3: by carol., Senor Crabbypants (new)

carol. | 2616 comments Sandra Sleo (spelling) suggested one of Janny's stand-alone books on the prior thread, so I feel I should re-nominate it--I just can't remember which one it was! Help, anyone? Janny, feel free to remind me.

message 4: by H.L. (last edited May 30, 2012 10:38AM) (new)

H.L. Reasby | 3 comments I'd love to nominate my first novel, Akhet, for this.
Akhet Sekhmet's Light, Book One by H.L. Reasby

message 5: by MrsJoseph *grouchy*, *good karma* (new)

MrsJoseph *grouchy* (mrsjoseph) | 7282 comments H.L. wrote: "I'd love to nominate my first novel, Akhet, for this.
[bookcover:Akhet: Sekhmet's Light Book One]"

Hi H.L.,

Unfortunately you have not participated as an FA member long enough to qualify for the first upcoming Featured Author Read.

We hope to see you more active and possibly have your book nominated for the next round!

message 6: by Janny (new)

Janny (jannywurts) | 181 comments Carol wrote: "Sandra Sleo (spelling) suggested one of Janny's stand-alone books on the prior thread, so I feel I should re-nominate it--I just can't remember which one it was! Help, anyone? Janny, feel free to r..."

Carol, the title was To Ride Hell's Chasm, and it is available in print and e book formats. As a longtime member of the group, I'd of course be touched to participate.

To the readers here: please DO NOT vote blind. I have an excerpt of the book in three formats (text, e book, and audio reading) up for your use on my website, which can be found on my profile page, here. Kick the tires and see if the style agrees with you. In sincere respect for the views of certain folks in the group: there is no rape in this story.

Carol, thank you for the kindness of honoring a reader's prior nomination. I have unchecked my update feed box so that only members in this group will see this post.

message 7: by Alicia (new)

Alicia (writeralicia) I'm close but no cigar on the required participation level. (Bummer!) Until I get there, I look forward to reading the work of other group members.

Great idea, mods!

message 8: by MrsJoseph *grouchy*, *good karma* (new)

MrsJoseph *grouchy* (mrsjoseph) | 7282 comments Alicia wrote: "I'm close but no cigar on the required participation level. (Bummer!) Until I get there, I look forward to reading the work of other group members.

Great idea, mods!"

humph! You know what I'm waiting for..... lol!

message 9: by MrsJoseph *grouchy*, *good karma* (new)

MrsJoseph *grouchy* (mrsjoseph) | 7282 comments Alicia wrote: "I'm close but no cigar on the required participation level. (Bummer!) Until I get there, I look forward to reading the work of other group members.

Great idea, mods!"

Honestly, Carol and I think you should nominate your book. You've been an active member for quite a while and you've never spammed the group.

message 10: by carol., Senor Crabbypants (new)

carol. | 2616 comments MrsJoseph wrote: humph! You know what I'm waiting for..... lol! "

A cigar??

message 11: by MrsJoseph *grouchy*, *good karma* (new)

MrsJoseph *grouchy* (mrsjoseph) | 7282 comments Carol wrote: "MrsJoseph wrote: humph! You know what I'm waiting for..... lol! "

A cigar??"

She has a book that I'm waiting for, lol.

But, Carol, you know i have a dirty mind. Why did you say that?? lol!

message 12: by Alicia (last edited May 30, 2012 11:36AM) (new)

Alicia (writeralicia) MrsJoseph wrote: "Carol wrote: "MrsJoseph wrote: humph! You know what I'm waiting for..... lol! "

A cigar??"

But, Carol, you know i have a dirty mind. Why did you say that?? lol!"

How could you possibly get dirty from that? SMH. I'm impressed!

message 13: by Dawn (new)

Dawn (breakofdawn) Cigar sounded dirty to me too.. Clinton and such...

message 14: by MrsJoseph *grouchy*, *good karma* (new)

MrsJoseph *grouchy* (mrsjoseph) | 7282 comments Dawn wrote: "Cigar sounded dirty to me too.. Clinton and such..."

^This

message 15: by Michael (last edited May 30, 2012 02:51PM) (new)

Michael (michaeljsullivan) | 262 comments Thanks to the moderators for doing this, new authors have such a difficult time getting their books noticed, and this is a great opportunity.

I would like to nominate my Theft of Swords which is the first book in The Riyria Revelations:

THE RIYRIA REVELATIONS: Unlikely Heroes...Classic Adventure
There's no orphan destined for greatness or ancient evil to destroy…just two rogues in the wrong place at the wrong time. What starts as a simple assignment to steal a sword continues across six individual episodes of ever escalating adventures that puts two ordinary thieves in extraordinary situations which will shape the rule of power in the world of Elan.

This book was named to several lists including:
Library Journal's Top 10 Scifi/Fantasy Books of 2011
Barnes and Noble The Best Fantasy Releases of 2011
Drying Ink's Best Epic Fantasy of 2011
Dribble of Ink's Favorite 5 Novels of 2011

Thanks again for the opportunity.

Michael J. Sullivan: Theft of Swords

message 16: by Alicia (last edited May 30, 2012 04:18PM) (new)

Alicia (writeralicia) Thanks so much to the mods for permitting me to nominate. This is a great opportunity!

The book I'm nominating is an urban fantasy novella, Don't Call Me Angel. It will be available in various formats, both print and ebook, on June 15. Amazon, B&N, Smashwords.

[image error]

After crawling her way out of Hell, Six is ready to cast aside her angel wings and all the responsibilities that come with them. But Earth is not as peaceful as she imagined it. Demons, dark angels, and other hell-beasties escaped before her, and they're not as content as she is to live a quiet life on Earth.

A fellow angel who escaped Hell with her commits a series of soul-murders, destroying human souls so they can't go to the afterlife. Although Six has conflicting feelings about humans, she goes after the other angel to keep their escape a secret from the one she fears most

You can check out the first chapter here.

message 17: by MrsJoseph *grouchy*, *good karma* (new)

MrsJoseph *grouchy* (mrsjoseph) | 7282 comments Michael wrote: "Thanks to the moderators for doing this, new authors have such a difficult time getting their books noticed, and this is a great opportunity.

I would like to nominate my Theft of Swords which is t..."

Hi Michael!

Thanks for the nomination but could you remove the other two books? This is a single book nomination and we want to make sure members are not confused by the choices.

message 18: by Becky (new)

Becky (beckyofthe19and9) MrsJoseph wrote: "This is a single book nomination"

Would Theft of Swords count then as it's an omnibus?

message 19: by Michael (last edited May 30, 2012 02:47PM) (new)

Michael (michaeljsullivan) | 262 comments @MrsJoseph: Sure, I can do that...done.

@Becky...there are some books that come "both ways" as individuals and as a omnibus (Like Glenn Cook's the Black Company). That is not the case here...when Orbit released their versions they thought it worked better as a trilogy rather than a six-book series so it is the only way it is available. (I think they also felt that at 300 pages the books were a bit on the "shorter side" for most fantasy tastes). They did something similar with Orcs. The good news is that it's much better for the reader as the series in the newly revised form costs more than 1/2 what it once did.

message 20: by Becky (new)

Becky (beckyofthe19and9) Michael wrote: "@Becky...there are some books that come "both ways" as individuals and as a omnibus (Like Glenn Cook's the Black Company). That is not the case here...when Orbit released their versions they thought it worked better as a trilogy rather than a six-book series so it is the only way it is available. (I think they also felt that at 300 pages the books were a bit on the "shorter side" for most fantasy tastes). They did something similar with Orcs. "

That "similar thing they did with Orcs" was actually the opposite, splitting what Tolkien intended to be a single work into 3 volumes.

Regarding the rest of your comment, I understood "single book nomination" to mean each author can nominate one book. The Crown Conspiracy and Avempartha are separate books combined in an omnibus that just happens to be the only reasonably priced option available, should people choose to buy it. I do not think it is fair to allow Avempartha to be lumped into the nomination, as everyone else is limited to one book. You originally released The Crown Conspiracy and Avempartha as separate books, so that's how I think they should be considered for nomination & discussion.

But that's just my opinion. I'll leave the ruling up to the mods.

message 21: by Michael (last edited May 30, 2012 04:36PM) (new)

Michael (michaeljsullivan) | 262 comments Becky wrote: "That "similar thing they did with Orcs" was actually the opposite, splitting what Tolkien intended to be a single work into 3 volumes.

No, I was referring to: Orcs by Stan Nicholls not LoTR. And it's not the "only reasonably priced option available" it's the only option available. The six-book versions are out-of-print and no longer available except as collectors items.

Well there is no such thing as either The Crown Conspiracy or Avempartha anymore. There is only Theft of Swords. Semantics...probably. But an author can't control the format that the publisher decides to release the series as. Such things are out of our control. Personally I like the series being a trillogy rather than six-books. It makes it seem 'more managable' somehow.

message 22: by Becky (new)

Becky (beckyofthe19and9) Ah, I never heard of that one.

Regarding there being no such thing as The Crown Conspiracy or Avempartha - I believe that there is a divide between the books in the omnibus, correct?

message 23: by Michael (last edited May 30, 2012 04:33PM) (new)

Michael (michaeljsullivan) | 262 comments There are many books like this. For instance The Once and Future King by T.H. White is also 4 books, though people don't think of it that way.

Yes there is a "page" they did not "bleed the two together" if that's what you thought.

My point is I couldn't nominate "The Crown Conspiracy" because it can't be bought - as it doesn't exist like that anymore. But in comparision: If I were Brent weeks I should nominate The Way of Shadows instead of Night Angel: The Complete Trilogy because this is a case where both the Omnibus and the "individual" books are sold.

message 24: by Becky (new)

Becky (beckyofthe19and9) Like I said, it's up to the mods. *shrug*

message 25: by MrsJoseph *grouchy*, *good karma* (new)

MrsJoseph *grouchy* (mrsjoseph) | 7282 comments Ok, so I just did some research and I can see both sides of the fence.

On one hand, it's not fair to the other authors because it is technically 2 books.

On the other hand, there is no way members can purchase copies of The Crown Conspiracy for a decent price - the only option is Theft of Swords (but still, $9.99! No MMPB?).

So how about a compromise? Michael nominates Theft of Swords but we only read up to the end of book 1 if the book wins. If members want to continue through to book 2, a buddy read thread can be created and Michael could still continue to lead discussions (if he is willing). It's the way we've done other series reads...

message 26: by Steve (new)

Steve Thomas | 102 comments This is a great opportunity. Thanks.

I'd like to throw Harbingers of Mortality into the running.

Harbingers of Mortality by Steve Thomas

It was supposed to be a simple mission.

When an assassination attempt goes awry, Jeshu is forced into the service of the empire he was sworn to destroy. His target: a woman searching for ancient knowledge that would save her people, but throw the world's balance of power into chaos. He must travel to the land of the sorcerers, where unlimited magic reigns and a bloodthirsty goddess lurks in the shadows, waiting for a chance to strike.

It's available in print and ebook form on Amazon, and ebook only on Barnes & Noble, Smashwords, and its affiliates.

message 27: by Michael (new)

Michael (michaeljsullivan) | 262 comments MrsJoseph wrote: "So how about a compromise? Michael nominates Theft of Swords but we only read up to the end of book 1 if the book wins..."

Sounds like a very reasoned and sensible approach. I'm good with that.

message 28: by Becky (new)

Becky (beckyofthe19and9) MrsJoseph wrote: "Michael nominates Theft of Swords but we only read up to the end of book 1 if the book wins."

Perfect. This is fair. :)

message 29: by Terry (last edited May 30, 2012 09:01PM) (new)

Terry Simpson | 261 comments Awesome idea. Before I even nominate one of my books, I need to ask if me personally providing the epub would be an issue, as the book is currently in KDP Select. If it is, no worries, but thought I'd ask before I suggested my own.

message 30: by carol., Senor Crabbypants (new)

carol. | 2616 comments Terry wrote: "Awesome idea. Before I even nominate one of my books, I need to ask if me personally providing the epub would be an issue, as the book is currently in KDP Select. If it is, no worries, but thought ..."

Perhaps MrsJ can answer, as I would need a translation.

message 31: by Arshad (last edited May 30, 2012 10:26PM) (new)

Arshad Ahsanuddin (pactarcanum) Technically, the terms of the Amazon KDP Select agreement forbid you from selling or distributing electronic copies of the enrolled material except through Amazon. That means no reviewer electronic copies, unless you gift them through Amazon. That means also that the ePub versions cannot be offered to reviewers while your work is enrolled in Select, as the ePub format is not supported by Amazon.

Sad, but true, if you want to follow the rules. Print or gifted kindle edition are the only allowed options.

message 32: by MrsJoseph *grouchy*, *good karma* (new)

MrsJoseph *grouchy* (mrsjoseph) | 7282 comments Terry wrote: "Awesome idea. Before I even nominate one of my books, I need to ask if me personally providing the epub would be an issue, as the book is currently in KDP Select. If it is, no worries, but thought ..."

Ummm...that's a really good question. One of the things we want to do is make sure that the book is accessible to all members. We have quite a few members who don't read digitally at all. So if the book isn't available in print, how can members participate?

Sadly enough, I want to kick myself for forgetting that we do have members with sight difficulties. I have had a PM from a member who only can read via audiobook at this time. While I won't make it an issue for this 1st time as it wasn't discussed earlier, I think the group needs to discuss that issue at a later date.

Which brings me back to your question, Terry. Which book are you discussing? If the book is only available via Amazon digitally but you would be willing to provide copies...that does make a difference. Especially if the book is also available in print somewhere (or even only at Amazon).

I would like other members (And Carol) to chime in with their thoughts, however. Comments?

message 33: by Alicia (new)

Alicia (writeralicia) MrsJoseph wrote: "I would like other members (And Carol) to chime in with their thoughts, however. Comments?"

I'll chime in: I assume that at some point the membership will be voting on a book to read. (Right?) I think Arshad's book should be allowed--as long as the situation is made clear during the vote.

If a large portion of the membership votes for a book that is not available in ePub, then presumably, that same portion of the membership is considering some other format for reading the book. Only the folks who can access his available formats will vote for it (if they're in the know). If that's enough to win the vote, I say let it ride.

message 34: by MrsJoseph *grouchy*, *good karma* (new)

MrsJoseph *grouchy* (mrsjoseph) | 7282 comments Alicia wrote: "MrsJoseph wrote: "I would like other members (And Carol) to chime in with their thoughts, however. Comments?"

I'll chime in: I assume that at some point the membership will be voting on a book to ..."

Well, it's be Terry and not Arshad... :-D

But the book would be provided by the author in necessary formats if it wins. (At least that was my understanding) But the book isn't available in print... That's the problem(?).

So...you're saying allow the book but make it clear to voting members that the book isn't available in print?

*At times like this I wish I could just print one of these dang things out, lol*

Also - off subject -

What about audio books? Can you create your own audio books? What would be the process for that? I know that readers are expensive but some authors narrate their own.

message 35: by Alicia (new)

Alicia (writeralicia) MrsJoseph wrote: "Well, it's be Terry and not Arshad... :-D"

Yep. My bad, Terry & Arshad.

MrsJoseph wrote: "But the book would be provided by the author in necessary formats if it wins. (At least that was my understanding) But the book isn't available in print... That's the problem(?)."

Can we clarify this for sure? Providing paperbacks to the group can get awfully expensive for authors, depending on how many would be needed.

MrsJoseph wrote: "What about audio books? Can you create your own audio books? What would be the process for that? I know that readers are expensive but some authors narrate their own. "

I've heard that some authors do this. Also, there's a website that matches actors (who audition) with authors, distributes the product (like Smashwords), and splits the royalties. Can't remember the website name right now.

message 36: by Alicia (new)

Alicia (writeralicia) In my humble opinion (which I realize is of lesser importance than the mods' opinions, but here it is anyway), I think any format should be acceptable as long as it's clear in the vote which formats are unavailable. If a book wins despite lack of paperback and ePub, then it had the greatest interest to the members--even in light of its limited format availability. By voting for a book, members are saying that they can deal with what's available.

message 37: by MrsJoseph *grouchy*, *good karma* (last edited May 31, 2012 02:13PM) (new)

MrsJoseph *grouchy* (mrsjoseph) | 7282 comments Alicia wrote: "Can we clarify this for sure? Providing paperbacks to the group can get awfully expensive for authors, depending on how many would be needed."

I'm waiting for Terry's response but..

I was thinking that the book is currently only available in a single format: .mobi. ---- but there was/is no print available.

message 38: by MrsJoseph *grouchy*, *good karma* (new)

MrsJoseph *grouchy* (mrsjoseph) | 7282 comments Alicia wrote: "In my humble opinion (which I realize is of lesser importance than the mods' opinions, but here it is anyway), I think any format should be acceptable as long as it's clear in the vote which format..."

I understand what you mean...

...but there are members who don't necessarily complain publicly but do PM mods. Those members are likely to just not participate if they feel left out.

message 39: by Alicia (new)

Alicia (writeralicia) MrsJoseph wrote: "...but there are members who don't necessarily complain publicly but do PM mods. Those members are likely to just not participate if they feel left out."

Ah. You mods work hard. Great group you're running here.

message 40: by MrsJoseph *grouchy*, *good karma* (new)

MrsJoseph *grouchy* (mrsjoseph) | 7282 comments Alicia wrote: "Ah. You mods work hard. Great group you're running here. "

Why, thank you. :-D

message 41: by Traci (new)

Traci This would be an extra group read, right? So if someone couldn't contribute in this one they'd still have one or two others to join in on? If that were the case it be fine with relaxing club I would think...

message 42: by MrsJoseph *grouchy*, *good karma* (new)

MrsJoseph *grouchy* (mrsjoseph) | 7282 comments Traci wrote: "This would be an extra group read, right? So if someone couldn't contribute in this one they'd still have one or two others to join in on? If that were the case it be fine with relaxing club I woul..."

I'm not sure what the last sentence meant but there would be one other group read for the month, yes.

message 43: by carol., Senor Crabbypants (new)

carol. | 2616 comments I'm flexible. Since majority decides, if e-book only wins, that's fine.

message 44: by Traci (new)

Traci Lol. Happy fingers, leaving out important words. I meant with other books to chose from I think it'd be fine for this read to have somewhat relaxed rules. As long as the book wins the vote. :)

message 45: by Terry (last edited May 31, 2012 01:51PM) (new)

Terry Simpson | 261 comments Just finally read the post. The book in question is available in print on Amazon and B&N but only digitally in mobi on Amazon. I would rather discuss digital group read copies in private rather than make a public statement. Just a certain thing being being said gave me a rather uncomfortable feeling. Sorry for the late reply.

message 46: by MrsJoseph *grouchy*, *good karma* (new)

MrsJoseph *grouchy* (mrsjoseph) | 7282 comments Terry wrote: "Just finally read the post. The book in question is available in print on Amazon and B&N but only digitally in mobi on Amazon. I would rather discuss digital group read copies in private rather tha..."

O_O

My bad. Sorry.

message 47: by Terry (last edited May 31, 2012 02:26PM) (new)

Terry Simpson | 261 comments Wasn't you, MrsJ :) Just a certain post made me go, "How would Amazon know I gave away a couple epubs to some readers here for a group read?" Anyway, if having a print copy wasn't an issue for the ones with epub devices I'd still enter my book. I'm twisting in the wind here as I don't want to hurt myself.
Ah well ...

message 48: by MrsJoseph *grouchy*, *good karma* (new)

MrsJoseph *grouchy* (mrsjoseph) | 7282 comments Terry wrote: "Wasn't you, MrsJ :) Just a certain post made me go, "How would Amazon know I gave away a couple epubs to some readers here for a group read?" Anyway, if having a print copy wasn't an issue for the ..."

Hey, I totally get it. And not trying to hang anyone out. I have no problem modding myself. Please PM me. I'm about to hit the commute. (Yes. You should all feel sorry for me!) And I can do some razzle dazzle when I get home.

message 49: by carol., Senor Crabbypants (new)

carol. | 2616 comments Razzle dazzle! I want to hear about razzle dazzling on the commute home ;)

message 50: by Terry (new)

Terry Simpson | 261 comments Aww man, why do you both have me turning to Yo Gabba Gabba???????????

« previous 1
This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.