Daily Diary discussion

Reading Habits > Audiobooks

Comments Showing 1-24 of 24 (24 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Ed (new)

Ed | 237 comments Mod
Do many of you listen to them...any particular type or place? I often will check out of the library an audiobook..especially when I know I will be driving for a while...a good audiobook can really make the trip seem shorter. I've tried all types...action...you name it. I enjoyed Eat, Pray, Love and Marley and Me on audiobook and those weren't face paced thrillers but having a human voice behind the story was great.

message 2: by Meg (new)

Meg (megvt) | 100 comments I love audiobooks. As I said I have them on my IPOD. It is so easy to download them and you never realize how much wasted time you have that you can start listening.

message 3: by Ed (new)

Ed | 237 comments Mod
It is amazing once you listen during waits, driving in the car, etc. how much time passes during those times.

message 4: by Liz (new)

Liz (hissheep) Without "audios" books, my 40 minute commute would be BORING! A great way to keep up with new reads ...

message 5: by Cheryl (new)

Cheryl (Chaoscat60) | 37 comments I prefer my music.

message 6: by Heidi (new)

Heidi  | 23 comments I usually reserve audio books for long family car trips... I think I've only listened to three audiobooks... probably because my commute to work is only 3 miles... I'd rather listen to music most of the time.

message 7: by Tressa (new)

Tressa  (moanalisa) I have a 30 minute commute each way and audio books are the only things keeping me from road-raging my fellow commuters. It's so calming to listen to a good story because I don't care if I'm held up in traffic; sometimes I drive slower so I can listen to more of the CD.

Some favorites are Digging to America (Anne Tyler novel read by Blair Brown); A Thousand Splendid Suns and The Kite Runner; The Red Tent; Shopgirl read by Steve Martin; The Ruins (read by the adulterer in Little Children); and two different versions of To Kill a Mockingbiird. One was read by some southern woman whose name I forget, and the other by Sissy Spacek, if you can believe it. I wasn't expecting much but she did a great job.

message 8: by Ed (new)

Ed | 237 comments Mod
I enjoyed the Kite Runner on cd. I've done that too, Tressa: slowing down so I can hear more from an interesting audio book. lol

message 9: by Tressa (new)

Tressa  (moanalisa) Ed, not only that, but pulling into the garage and just sitting there for ten or fifteen mins. to squeeze some more story out of the CD.

message 10: by Peanut (new)

Peanut I get audiobooks from the library. I tend to listen to them during winter time when it is dark out already (dark when I leave work that is). Helps pass the time. Helps lower my stress level during rush hour traffic, too. I tend to drive speed limit when I listen to audio books.

The best books I've listened to were Life of Pi, any of David Sedaris's stuff that he himself reads, and the Sweet Potato Queen books read by the author. Too funny! I think her name was Jill Conner Brown.

message 11: by Tressa (new)

Tressa  (moanalisa) Yes, David Sedaris' stuff is hilarious on audio because he reads it himself.

I'm listening to Ender's Game now to refresh the story so I can finally read Ender in Exile. Whoever is reading Ender's Game is wonderful and once again I took my own sweet time driving home. Unfortunately traffic was flowing smoothly tonight and I made it home in record time. Gosh darnit.

message 12: by Jim (last edited Jan 09, 2009 10:47AM) (new)

Jim | 41 comments I love audio books and probably listen to as many books on CD as I read
right now I'm listening to KAFKA ON THE SHORE and really enjoy listening
I tried listening to THE NAMING OF THE DEAD by Rankin but couldn't understand the Scottish brogue
of the reader but most of the time the readers are great especially when they change from one character to another during dialogue
I know I've increased the number of books that I read/listen to a great deal and consequently have had a lot more exposure to excellent authors and books than if I didn't listen to books on CD

message 13: by Robert (new)

Robert Beveridge (xterminal) Ed wrote: "Do many of you listen to them...any particular type or place? I often will check out of the library an audiobook..especially when I know I will be driving for a while...a good audiobook can really..."

I'm just starting to do the audiobook thing. Good for playing poker.

message 14: by Ronda (new)

Ronda (rmgardner) | 2 comments I am a big fan of Audio-books; I work in production and I listen too books all day at work. It really helps to pass the time. It also gives me a chance to listen to books that I normally would have a hard time reading.

message 15: by Cheryl (new)

Cheryl I have listened to a few audiobooks in the car on my way to work. I have listened to You've Been Warned by James Patterson, The Monster of Florence by Douglas Preston. I am currently listening to Hollywood Crows

message 16: by Morgan (new)

Morgan I like audio books!!

message 17: by Melissa W (new)

Melissa W (melissawiebe80) I listened to my first audiobook while reading the book (I know that isn't the purpose, but I didn't want to really read the book so the audio book forced me to actually read it) and I plan on doing it again, although I prefer to read my books.

message 18: by Meg (new)

Meg (megvt) | 100 comments When working with some of my reading disable students this is a method I have used. It works really well in teaching them how to read and what a good reader looks like. The pairing is quite successful.

message 19: by Khulood (last edited Jan 26, 2009 08:46PM) (new)

Khulood I still have to get myself to listen to an audio-book :) I'm not sure how well I could concentrate when listening.

message 20: by The_Freddy (new)

The_Freddy  (the_freddy) I love audiobooks! I started listening to them again when I started driving by car again. It's a wonderful way to make use of those nearly two hours everyday I spend in my car.
I also find it sometimes hard to concentrate to listen to audiobooks, but that's only sometimes. ;-)
And I have some by wonderful readers like Juliet Stevenson (Austenbooks) or Jeremy Irons...

message 21: by Atomicgirl (new)

Atomicgirl | 12 comments I like listening to audiobooks on my ipod. The only problem is that I get headaches sometimes.

message 22: by Angie (new)

Angie  (angelitabonita) I have just recently discovered audio books. I have an 80 minute drive (round trip) stuck in rush hour traffic. It's awful. So I found a website www.booksshouldbefree.com where they have all the classics on audio. I've been hooked. I go thru a book a week in this way. I've listened to Alice's Adventures in Wonderland, Through the Looking Glass, The Wonderful Wizard of Oz, Anne of Green Gables. It's quite lovely I get to get to all the classics I never had time to read before and I actually don't mind the traffic so much. :)

message 23: by Meg (new)

Meg (megvt) | 100 comments That is awesome. I have never heard of that site and I am going to check it out. Listening to books on a commute to work is one of the best things ever. When I get to work I am in a great mindset, especially when I am listening to a great book.

message 24: by Angie (new)

Angie  (angelitabonita) Oh my gosh me too. It helps I swear.