On Reading Graphic Novels discussion

Any good new series?

Comments Showing 1-23 of 23 (23 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Ed (new)

Ed | 6 comments I've been getting y the last man, 100 bullets, fables, hellblazer and with several of those series ending...any other good series out there?

message 2: by Timmy (new)

Timmy I've really been enjoying the walking dead series. It takes a couple of TPB to really get going but it just gets more and more brutal and engrossing. And as it's a series still in progress I'm pretty excited to see where things will go.

message 3: by Tom (new)

Tom Troutman The Walking Dead vol 9 trade just came out yesterday.

@Ed- def pick up the Ex Machina series.

message 4: by Nathan (new)

Nathan (jackthorn) | 24 comments Ack! Thought I answered this one already. The newish ones I've been reading lately are mainly "DMZ" and "Fables", both great... I started Terry Moore's "Echo", but haven't read the last few yet... I picked up the first 8 issues or so of "Northlanders", that was good... I really liked "Fell", a gritty detective serial, but there hasn't been a new issue out for months and months. =(

"Testament" was interesting and a little weird, but I missed a couple issues and stopped following, so I'll catch back up with the new TPB. I started with "Jack Of Fables", and it was good, but I wandered away after a bit. "Y The Last Man" isn't really new, but I feel it's worth mentioning, I loved it to the bitter end. Also, the recent Dark Towers miniseries' have been good, very atmospheric with great artwork.

I love Hellblazer, especially the early Delano/Ennis runs, but haven't really followed it in the last 70 or 80 issues, I'm focusing on completing my collection of issues 1-150.

message 5: by Sadie (new)

Sadie (librarianwombat) | 6 comments I loved "Fell"! I want it to come back! I read Hatter M which Ben Templesmith illustrated so I wonder if he's sidelined Fell in favor of bigger name projects? Anyone know?

message 6: by Daniel (new)

Daniel (danielrobbins) | 4 comments Y The Last Man was great; if you liked it pick up Ex Machina, it is really unique. Walking Dead is also good; picked it up on a whim way back when it first came out, and have been hooked since - I never thought I'd like a zombie comic, but it is really damn good. Scalped has been really good; and there was a little series last year called Winter Men which I thought was really one-of-a-kind and spectacular; they just released a winter special also.

Do you read any of the Avatar books? No Hero, Crossed, and Doktor Sleepless have all been good. Also, Image has a mini-series out called Red Mass From Mars which has been interesting. Lastly, the 7th and final issue of I Kill Giants just came out, which is one of the better titles I've read in a while.

message 7: by [deleted user] (new)

If you're into Y:TLM, Fables and 100 Bullets you definitely need to be reading Ex Machina, DMZ, Walking Dead and Scalped. They're of at least the same pedigree and will appeal to the type of mind that enjoys those first three books.

message 8: by Purple (new)

Purple | 13 comments Y:TLM, Fables and 100 Bullets are all fantastic (particularly Y), but I read the first Walking Dead and wasn't particularly inspired to get anymore. I take it it does get better then? I've just started Ex Machina, and have ordered Scalped so we'll see.

Some of the Avatar books look good. Some good recommendations there, thanks Daniel!

message 9: by Andrew (new)

Andrew (dad-man) | 3 comments I just grabbed the first hardcover collection of "The Mice Templar" and am really looking forward to reading it. The art looks stunning.

message 10: by Smofers (new)

Smofers | 3 comments Purple wrote: "Y:TLM, Fables and 100 Bullets are all fantastic (particularly Y), but I read the first Walking Dead and wasn't particularly inspired to get anymore. I take it it does get better then? I've just sta..."

The walking dead is a slow series to get into but it is SO worth it. Keeping in mind that the question asked is: "what would REALLY happen if the dead started walking?"

message 11: by [deleted user] (new)

You should definitely check out the Ed Brubaker / Philips books like Criminal (definitely) or Sleeper. Criminal is easily one of the best books around.

message 12: by Purple (new)

Purple | 13 comments Thanks Smofers, I'll order up book 2 then! Cheers.

message 13: by Andrew (new)

Andrew (dad-man) | 3 comments I can't wait to get my hands on Walking Dead. I love zombie lit, especially Max Brooks' stuff, so I am very very eager to read what seems to be the best (granted, one of the very few) zombie series out there.

message 14: by Smofers (new)

Smofers | 3 comments Ichaerus wrote: "I can't wait to get my hands on Walking Dead. I love zombie lit, especially Max Brooks' stuff, so I am very very eager to read what seems to be the best (granted, one of the very few) zombie serie..."

I would say that the walking dead is kind of a "serious" zombie book. It really isn't about zombies but about living post-apocalypse. Its an exploration of an never ending struggle for peace and understanding human relationships.

If you want funny/gross zombie "omg I can't believe what I am reading" than I recommend reading Robert Kirkman's Marvel Zombies. It's different. It's kind of sick.

message 15: by Smofers (new)

Smofers | 3 comments Tom wrote: "You should definitely check out the Ed Brubaker / Philips books like Criminal (definitely) or Sleeper. Criminal is easily one of the best books around."

I was think of reading Ed Brubaker. Why do you like it?

message 16: by Daniel (new)

Daniel (danielrobbins) | 4 comments Brubaker is just great; him and Greg Rucka can write some of the best crime comics you can find. They both have a very authentic Noir feel, if you know what I mean. Definitely check out Criminal, its very good; he also just released a new comic called Incognito that looks great. If you never read Gotham Central (lasted about 40 or so issues, a few years back), I really loved that title and miss it sorely; has some great work by both Brubaker and Rucka ... it isn't a Batman book (really, he rarely appears, and when he does it is brief) but rather a gritty cop comic about cops who happen to be in Gotham. Very cool.

message 17: by Andrew (new)

Andrew (dad-man) | 3 comments Ichaerus wrote: "Smofers wrote: I would say that the walking dead is kind of a "serious" zombie book. It really isn't about zombies but about living post-apocalypse. Its an exploration of an never ending struggle for peace and understanding human relationships. i>

Yeah, I have all the Marvel Zombies books, but I love the serious Zombie stuff, the ones that, like you said, are less about the zombies than the world that people are having to survive in. Like Max Brooks' "World War Z", easily the best zombie book written to date. That is the most common comparison I've heard made about Walking Dead, that it gives you that same kind of feeling. Helpless and overwhelmed, while still thoroughly entertained.

message 18: by Koori no hi (last edited Feb 03, 2009 05:13PM) (new)

Koori no hi I am actively looking for this set. I read the first 2 chapters in a Shonen Jump preview, but can't find it! I do know there are 2 completed volumes translated into English, but can't find them anywhere. It's called Nora: the Last Chronicles of Devildom. it's about the demon Cerberious and he is going against the will of the dark liege so she sentences him to a punishment as the familiar to this stuck-up class president of a human high school.

message 19: by Fredstrong (new)

Fredstrong | 25 comments Walking Dead is great. So is 100 Bullets. Try, The Boys, awesome series. Ttransmetropolitan was amazing! It's by Warren Ellis, who did Fell that Sadie mentioned earlier. I think Transmet was far superior. The Preacher is also a great read.

message 20: by Old-Barbarossa (last edited Feb 06, 2009 12:23AM) (new)

Old-Barbarossa I agree with a few folk on Fell Volume 1 Feral City, enjoyable nasty stuff, but haven't seen anything past issue 9.
Currently discovering and enjoying the Queen & Country, Vol. 1 Operation Broken Ground books by Greg Rucka.
Also while moving house I rediscovered a big pile of
Matt Wagner stuff and am in the process of re-reading some very good old Grendel.
As to new stuff...think I'll search out The Boys and Kick-Ass HC.

message 21: by Fredstrong (new)

Fredstrong | 25 comments You'll like the boys, to read more about it:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Boys...

message 22: by Keith (new)

Keith | 4 comments Smofers wrote: "Tom wrote: "You should definitely check out the Ed Brubaker / Philips books like Criminal (definitely) or Sleeper. Criminal is easily one of the best books around."

Check out Incogneto if you get a chance! 2nd prints of the first issue came out this week, along with issue two. If you have read any criminal you will love it. It has a lot of the Criminal elements but with some super hero/villians tossed in.

Also not to back track I've noticed a lot of people mentioning the same items, which only shows how great they all are, but I am now wondering what people think of Young Liars? I am a huge fan of Lapham work. It reads like early David Lynch but better! Its really just a thrill ride but it has been getting completely surreal and I have no idea where this crazy train is heading...or more like derailing!

Oh and Air! By far a new favorite from Vertigo. Again the story I started out with has grown to a point where everything I thought I knew I was reading in the first couple issues, now make me wonder what I am reading currently. But loving every minute of it!

Fell is a great series but number ten has been up in the air for a good long time since both of the talents involved are working on tons of projects and just don't seem to have the time to get back together to put out anything further. Which is a shame.

lastly, If you like Warren Ellis though, I say check out Freak Angels! Online or now in print... I prefer it in print, reading a comic on a screen just doesn't work for me but it is an amazing web comic that has really embraced the rising medium of digital/net comics. Or just read Transmetropolican as the trade paperbacks are being re-released. Brilliant dialogue, especially if your a Hunter H. Thompson fan. Just imagine him, in a cyber punk future. Good times!

message 23: by Koori no hi (new)

Koori no hi Nora: The Last Chronicles of Devildom.
ITS AWESOME!! I've only read the first 2 chap though.