Boxall's 1001 Books You Must Read Before You Die discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Specific List Authors > Dean Koontz

Comments Showing 1-12 of 12 (12 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Patricia (last edited Jan 04, 2009 12:52PM) (new)

Patricia (wwwgoodreadscompatriciajsmith) I hope I am not repeating this topic. But, I didn't see it here. My favorite author is Dean Koontz. I think I have just about every book he has written and each book is exceptional. His writing quality is different indeed but boy can he reel you in. lol
The man has an evil mind. lol
Anyone else here reading Kootnz?
Have a great day
Patricia J Smith
http://www.freewebs.com/blessedbeps
http://www.authorsden.com/patriciajsmith

message 2: by Claire (new)

Claire (clairebear8) | 11 comments I have Odd Thomas on my TBR shelf, which I will read sometime in '09. I haven't read alot of his but would like to try and read more. I gave my husband Your Heart Belongs to Me for Christmas. Have you read that one yet? Which Koontz books would you recommend:

message 3: by Deanne (new)

Deanne | 686 comments I lent phantoms to a friend who said it was the only book which gave him nightmares.
Also remember reading midnight, the start of the book on the beach. About 2 months later I was walking along a beach at night with my sister, we both stopped looked at each other said midnight and headed home quickly.

message 4: by Dylan (new)

Dylan (dmfriend26) | 4 comments I have Watchers, The Husband, and Intensity on my bookshelf. What should I read first?

message 5: by Liz (new)

Liz   (lizvegas) | 30 comments I adore the Odd Thomas Series. <3

Dylan, I read the Husband...it was a fast intense read.

message 6: by Liz (new)

Liz (hissheep) Dylan wrote: "I have Watchers, The Husband, and Intensity on my bookshelf. What should I read first?"

I'd pick "Watchers"! I'm not a totally over the top Koontz fan, but he has put out some rather good ones, and this ranks at the top of my list. I also like his "Odd Thomas" series. Enjoy!

message 7: by Deanne (new)

Deanne | 686 comments Watchers is the one I'd pick

message 8: by Patricia (last edited Jan 07, 2009 04:05PM) (new)

Patricia (wwwgoodreadscompatriciajsmith) Hi,
How is everyone tonight, sorry it took me so long to get back Claire, I seem to have caught a bug, lol
Anyway, I have a very long list.
The Husband was very good though different then most of Koontz style.
Midnight is truly terrifying, because it could be reality any day now.
The Eyes Of Darkness, is just as it states will put you through the emotional wringer.
Strangers, is very exciting and though one of his longer books surely never gets boring.
Sole Survivor, Intensity, and Hideaway, were all made into TV movies and were as good as the book, you can check them out at any video store.
By The Light Of The Moon, is one very thrilling ride. I would rate this one more on the horror level.
The Taken, is one of my favorites, it has just enough weirdness to really entice you.
From The Corner of His Eye, while not as scary or exciting as most it was still good.
The Face, 5 stars, this is one really good thriller.
Frankenstein 1 and 2 , hummmm, I read them just because of the author. But I must state I think Koontz must have been writing on Nyquil when he wrote these. LOL
Winter Moon, Yes, I read it over and over, just loved it.
The House of Thunder, a true Koontz style this one is.
Shadow Fires, very intense, scary , exciting.
Dragon Tears, another of his best.
The Voice of The Night, kind of slow, put it down, picked it back up, finally finished it.
Odd Thomas, First one was really good, but like all sequels they sometimes make you wonder where his mind was at the time.
Watchers was a pretty good read.
Your Heart Belongs To Me, wow, I'm finally glad Koontz got over his cold lol very good book.
As I said these are just a few I have read, I have tried to get my hands on every book he has put out.
Back to the Odd series, If you have read as much of Koontz as I have, the Odd kind of lacked the Koontz luster as they went alone, too much like the one before, I think.
The man definitely has an evil mind. LOl, but I like evil minds, in books that is. lol
I don't think it matters which one you read first, they are all good, some not as good as others but in the end they contain that Koontz draw you in mode.
Yall have a great night,
Happy Reading,
visit my site if you like
http://www.freewebs.com/blessedbeps

message 9: by Dylan (new)

Dylan (dmfriend26) | 4 comments Thanks everyone. I think I'll start with Watchers and then read The Husband after that. :D

message 10: by Bishop (new)

Bishop (A_Bishop) | 74 comments Read Watchers. The Husband was pretty predictable, I thought.

I'd also like to throw Hideaway on the list of creepy ones. Heavy on the religious imagery/allusions/implications/etc., but good. How can you go wrong with an evil serial killer living in an abandoned amusement park? If that's not enough, the little girl is pretty hilarious.

I also seem to remember liking Servants of Twilight, which was also made into an awesomely bad TV movie.

Although, I own them all, I have avoided reading the Odd series simply because it has gotten so much hype that I'm afraid I will hate them...some day, maybe.

message 11: by Claire (new)

Claire (clairebear8) | 11 comments Thanks, Patricia for your D. Koontz recommendations. I will definitely give them a try!

message 12: by Kevin (last edited Jan 11, 2009 06:01PM) (new)

Kevin (manchesterunited) My favorites include:

The Good Guy
fun and suspenseful
Odd Thomas
loved the entire series!
The Husband
some really suspenseful scenes!
Velocity
suspenseful!!

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.