Callahan's Crosstime Saloon (Callahan's #1) Callahan's Crosstime Saloon discussion

The Wonder of Spider Robinson

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Wendi (last edited Aug 25, 2016 02:04PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Wendi Anyone who likes his/her sci-fi to come with a sense of humor should run to the nearest retail outlet and purchase anything with Spider Robinson's name on the cover. He has a true gift for storytelling and discusses serious science fiction topics without pontificating at all. Seriously, I've never laughed so hard at a book as I did reading about Mike Callahan and company.

Tracey Um - not "anything", IMHO. He does very well with short stories, and the first few Callahan novels are wonderful; however, he seemed to fall in a rut with the last few novels & I still can't forgive him killing off one of the main characters (with brain cancer, no less).

As far as "without pontificating at all" - check out Variable Star - a partial Heinlein novel that Robinson fleshed out - the story screeches to a halt several times as Spider rails against what is basically the current situation in Iraq, barely disguised so as to fit in the story.

Phil I love some of his books as well, especially Callahan's Secret, but his last few have been a bit disapointing. He also seems stuck including some sort of group cosmic consciousnees as the solution in most of his books and that's getting a little old.
That all being said, I hope he gets publishing again soon. He's understandably had a hard time in the last couple years with his wife dying and his daughter having cancer. He's due for a little happiness now I think.

Christy I would love to see Spider Robinson publishing again too. I started reading him in 1982 and have been hooked ever since! It's a shame to hear about his wife, she was a pretty good author as well.

Madjack His last couple of books read like bios. I believe he is using his writing to work through his pain

Peter The First Callahan book was good, if you like constant puns. They wear after a while.

The Stardance series was okay.

The first book of his I read was Mindkiller, which is excellent. I haven't read the rest of that series yet.

Frank The Humanity of Spider's writing is what is so wonderful. In an era of talking heads yelling at one another we all need to relax at Callahans I hated how Doc Webster passed on but it was the evolution of the series and I think that was a good thing.