Literature & Film discussion

VOTE HERE for January 2008

Comments Showing 1-34 of 34 (34 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kimley (last edited Aug 25, 2016 02:04PM) (new)

Kimley | 201 comments Mod
Here is the list of books/films to vote from for January's reading/screening. All the books and DVDs on here were listed as being in print/available on Amazon and all the DVDs (with the exception, of course, of films currently in theatres) were also listed as being available for rental on Netflix so hopefully nobody will have any problems locating the items in their favorite bookstore/library/DVD rental outlet. I have to say, I was pretty pleased to see that nearly everything on the list was available!

I've linked all the book titles to their page here on Goodreads and all the film titles to their page on IMDB so you can get further information about anything you are unfamiliar with.

Per Jim's suggestion, everyone should list their top three choices in order of preference and I will award 3 points to your first choice, two points to your second choice and one point to your third choice.

I'll keep voting open until December 10 and will then tally the votes and let you all know the chosen selection for January.

Thanks so much Alison for compiling the list and keeping it up to date! It saved me a bunch of time!!!

If anyone has any questions/suggestions about this process or sees any link errors/typos/mistakes etc. please let me know and I'll fix it asap.

Have fun!

(My post was too big for Goodreads so the actual list is in the second & third posts...)

message 2: by Kimley (last edited Aug 25, 2016 02:04PM) (new)

The list is so big (with link info) that it's in two parts...

Part 1/2:

Book (Author)/Film (Director)

Contempt (Alberto Moravia)/Contempt (Jean-Luc Godard)
Ripley's Game (Patricia Highsmith)/The American Friend (Wim Wenders)
The Marquise of O (Heinrich von Kleist)/The Marquise of O (Eric Rohmer)
The Life and Opinions of Tristram Shandy, Gentleman (Laurence Sterne)/Tristram Shandy (Michael Winterbottom)
Shoot the Piano Player (David Goodis)/Shoot the Piano Player (Francois Truffaut)
Rashomon (Ryunosuke Akutagawa)/Rashomon (Akira Kurasowa)
Cabal (Clive Barker)/Nightbreed (Clive Barker)
No Country for Old Men (Cormac McCarthy)/No Country for Old Men (Coen Brothers)
Persepolis (Marjane Satrapi)/Persepolis (Vincent Paronnaud & Marjane Satrapi) film release in U.S. Dec. 25
The Golden Compass (Philip Pullman)/The Golden Compass (Chris Weitz)
The Human Stain (Philip Roth)/The Human Stain (Robert Benton)
The Shining (Stephen King)/The Shining (Stanley Kubrick)
Lolita (Vladimir Nabokov)/Lolita (Stanley Kubrick)
The Sheltering Sky (Paul Bowles)/The Sheltering Sky (Bernardo Bertolucci)
Being There (Jerzy Kosinsky)/Being There (Hal Ashby)
The Conformist (Alberto Moravia)/The Conformist (Bernardo Bertolucci)
Tess of the D'Urbervilles (Thomas Hardy)/Tess (Roman Polanski)
Viceroy of Ouidah (Bruce Chatwin)/Cobra Verde (Werner Herzog)
The Talented Mr. Ripley (Patricia Highsmith)/Purple Noon (Rene Clement) & The Talented Mr. Ripley (Anthony Minghella)
The Thin Man (Dashiell Hammett)/The Thin Man (W.S. Van Dyke)
The Maltese Falcon (Dashiell Hammett)/The Maltese Falcon (John Huston)
The Big Sleep (Raymond Chandler)/The Big Sleep (Howard Hawks)
Double Indemnity (James M. Cain)/Double Indemnity (Billy Wilder)
The Turn of the Screw (Henry James)/The Innocents (Jack Clayton)

message 4: by Robert (last edited Aug 25, 2016 02:04PM) (new)

Robert | 111 comments Okay,it's not easy to knock this down to three, - so many great choices - but here's my vote:
First Choice: The Leopard
2nd Choice: The Golden Compass
3rd choice: The Conformist

(Whew, that was tough... )

message 5: by Kimley (last edited Aug 25, 2016 02:04PM) (new)

Wow, you were fast Robert! I'm still hemming and hawing myself. I want to read/see almost all of these!

message 6: by Tosh (last edited Aug 25, 2016 02:04PM) (new)

Tosh | 68 comments Without a doubt a great list:

My choices are

1)The Conformist

2) The Shining

3) Dracula

I haven't read 1 and 2, and read 3 many years ago. But I also have a copy of the Browning version of Dracula.

Also with respect to Blue Angel: The original novel is by Henrich Mann, the brother of Thomas Mann. The Prose novel is sort of a literary riff off the film if not mistaken. But still, I guess it's ok.

message 7: by Kimley (last edited Aug 25, 2016 02:04PM) (new)

Re: The Blue Angel. Specifically reading the Prose book was the request of the person who suggested it - sorry I don't remember now who suggested it. I'm sure if it gets chosen, we can discuss the Mann book as well.

Unexpected choices from you Tosh!

message 8: by Kimley (last edited Aug 25, 2016 02:04PM) (new)

OK, I had a tough time choosing between the two Moravia books! But seeing as you've both already chosen the Conformist, I've decided to conform myself plus I already have this film on video so that makes it easy!

1) The Conformist
2) The Viceroy of Ouidah/Cobra Verde
3) Rashomon

Since there is so much great stuff on here, I think I'll just keep posting the titles that don't get chosen as options for future months. Let me know what you all think about that.

message 9: by Robert (last edited Aug 25, 2016 02:04PM) (new)

Robert | 111 comments I think that's a great idea, given the glut of good selections. And here's another thing that crossed my mind.. I was thinking very strongly about voting for "Ripley's Game" but it occurred to me that readers who hadn't read at least "The Talented Mr. Ripley" already would be at a disadvantage. Any comments or thoughts on this? (I should add that I had read Ripley's Game and seen The American Friend before I ever read any other Highsmith, but in retrospect, I think you'll understand the character a lot more if you start with "Talented".)

message 10: by Kimley (last edited Aug 25, 2016 02:04PM) (new)

Robert, good point though I'm not sure what to do about that unless we made sure to do The Talented Mr. Ripley first. Or I wonder how people would feel doing both in one month. They are quick reads. They definitely should be done in order. Let's see what others have to say on this...

message 11: by brian (last edited Aug 25, 2016 02:04PM) (new)

brian   okay -- i plan to re-watch Berlin Alexanderplatz sometime soon, so that's really my first pick, but i don't think there's a shot in hell it's gonna be picked, so realistically, here's my top three...

1) The Leopard

2) The Conformist

3) Woman in the Dunes

i've seen and love all the movies and haven't read any of the books.

this is exciting... pretty cool how your little club snowballed into this behemoth, huh kimley?

message 12: by Kimley (last edited Aug 25, 2016 02:04PM) (new)

Brian, I really wanted to put Berlin Alexanderplatz on my list as well but didn't think it would be realistic to do in a month (for those of us that work and require sleep). But I'm pretty sure Tosh and, I think, Robert want to do this one also. So maybe we should just plan to do it separately and anyone who wants to join in would be welcome.

And yeah, this group has turned out much better than I could have hoped!

message 13: by brian (last edited Aug 25, 2016 02:04PM) (new)

brian   i will do Berlin Alexanderplatz anytime anywhere! about five years ago me and emmie (my girlfriend at the time) rented the 15 tape set from the library and spent a rainy saturday and sunday and blasted through the whole thing. one of the great weekends of my life... i can't wait to see how this thing looks on a Criterion DVD! and all the extra material? ahhh!!!

message 14: by Tosh (last edited Aug 25, 2016 02:04PM) (new)

Tosh | 68 comments I chose the Conformist because I haven't read the book and I have it! Also I love his other novels. And I saw the film years ago when it first opened in the theaters.

The Shinning struck me as interesting, because one, King didn't like the film version, and two, I really love that film. And I also own the DVD of that film.

Dracula struck me as something I have never thought about as novel vs. film. And I am a huge Tod Browning fan! The Coppola version is ok, but give me Browning anytime. Also there is the silent version of Dracula called Nostferatu. Herzog version as well.

message 15: by Alison (last edited Aug 25, 2016 02:05PM) (new)

Alison 1. Contempt
2. Lolita
3. The Sheltering Sky

I LOVE seeing activity in this group. Keep it coming!!

Honorable Mentions (for my own benefit)...Tristram Shandy, The Tin Drum

I would enjoy reading/watching Berlin Alexanderplatz. I see it is on EW's list of 100 best movies of all time, and I tend to agree with their reviewers (I know, Entertainment Weekly rears its ugly head again!)

message 16: by Jim (last edited Aug 25, 2016 02:05PM) (new)

Jim | 45 comments Kimley - great job and if you need any help let me know and I will be honest,trustworthy and loyal even though I was only in the Cub Scouts until my first parade.

My choices

1. Atonement
2. No Country For Old Men
#. The Conformist

message 17: by Doina (last edited Aug 25, 2016 02:05PM) (new)

Doina | 3 comments Great choices, and very hard to narrow it down to three, but here it goes:

1. The Thin Man
2. The Golden Compass
3. Persepolis

Honorable mention: Dracula ;p

message 18: by Kimley (last edited Aug 25, 2016 02:06PM) (new)

Everyone, thanks for all the kind words! But really, there's not much to moderating a group. The only "work" is putting the voting list together and Alison helped tremendously with that.

I will however take credit for managing to get such an interesting group of people to join the party! I'm having a lot of fun!

Keep the votes coming in. It's really interesting to see what everyone chooses.

Remember, the last day to vote is December 10th.

message 19: by Leith (last edited Aug 25, 2016 02:07PM) (new)

Leith | 3 comments Hi, I just joined the group yesterday. Can I still vote? If so:

1. Shoot the Piano Player
2. Lolita
3. Persepolis

Chose these three because they're all worthy of a second reading. Can't wait to see Persepolis.

Another honorable mention for Tristram Shandy -- a marvelous book. One running joke in the film is that everyone pretends to have read the book while no one actually has. Wouldn't happen with this group, though, eh?

leith

message 20: by Kimley (last edited Aug 25, 2016 02:07PM) (new)

Welcome to the group Leith!

Yes, anyone who joins the group by December 10th is encouraged to vote!

message 21: by Robert (last edited Aug 25, 2016 02:07PM) (new)

Robert | 111 comments Hello to Leith and welcome to the group. I too love what the film did with "Tristram Shandy" - a movie about the impossibility of filming a book about the impossibility of telling a story. I didn't vote for it because I don't think it's easy to get through the book in just a month. (It took me many years and three tries...)

message 22: by Sarah (last edited Aug 25, 2016 02:09PM) (new)

Sarah (songgirl7) 1. The Golden Compass
2. Slaughterhouse-five
3. Atonement

message 23: by Andrea (last edited Aug 25, 2016 02:13PM) (new)

Andrea (outlanderbookfan) | 4 comments Hi, Brand new group member here...

1) Atonement (currently reading this one so it is timely)
2. The Talented Mr. Ripley
3. The Thin Man

It is very hard to narrow this down. I have so much reading and movie watching to do!

message 24: by Kimley (last edited Aug 25, 2016 02:13PM) (new)

Welcome to the group Andrea!

And just a quick reminder to everyone that there are only 3 days left to vote. You can vote up through December 10 and I will announce the winning selection on December 11.

message 25: by Fostergrants (last edited Aug 25, 2016 02:13PM) (new)

Fostergrants Happy Saturday everyone. I'm new to the group and already running behind! What a wonderful list of links to the book/movies of choice! My choices for January are:

1. The Conformist
2. Atonement
3. Lolita

message 26: by Kimley (last edited Aug 25, 2016 02:13PM) (new)

Welcome to the group Fostergrants! (nice name!)

For all you new members, we are currently discussing James Cain's The Postman Always Rings Twice so come and join us. It's a very quick read (took me only a little more than 2 hours) so it's not too late to join in the discussion.

message 27: by Kipahni (last edited Aug 25, 2016 02:14PM) (new)

Kipahni Hi! thought I would put in my vote
1. The marquise of O
2. Persepolis
3. Slaughter House Five

message 28: by Nikki (last edited Aug 25, 2016 02:14PM) (new)

Nikki | 8 comments I'm new (although I've been lurking for a while).
Here's my vote:

1. the Loved One
2. the Marquise of O
3. the Leopard

message 29: by Kimley (last edited Aug 25, 2016 02:14PM) (new)

Welcome Kipahni & Nikki!

message 30: by Robert (last edited Aug 25, 2016 02:15PM) (new)

Robert | 111 comments My rough estimate shows "The Conformist" currently in the lead, which is fine with me because I've never read it, even though I like the few Moravia novels I've read. (and putting some bookshelves in order over the weekend I was surprised to find that I owned 2 0r 3 Moravia novels that i didn't recall having. He's one of those authors whose work I tend to grab when I find used copies, simply because so much of his work is out of print...) And as much as I love the movie, I haven't watched it in a very long time. But I'm sure it's not too late for an upset. i wonder what can be done to encourage all of those lurkers (this group has over 100 members) to jump in and vote. Surely there's enough on the list to interest everyone..
And if you're not interested in "The Conformist", there are at least a half dozen other titles that could get a last minute surge and pull ahead...

message 31: by Tosh (last edited Aug 25, 2016 02:15PM) (new)

Tosh | 68 comments I think Moravia is great. I just finished a collection of his short stories that are simply fantastic. I think this guy is the 'secret' heavy of 20th Century liteature. But keep in mind I have never read the Comformist and I haven't seen the film for many years, Nevetherless I think this is fate.

message 32: by Michael (last edited Aug 25, 2016 02:15PM) (new)

Michael | 13 comments 1. no country.

2. DRACULA! muahahaha

3. slaughterhouse 5 - i could always read again!

message 33: by Kimley (last edited Aug 25, 2016 02:15PM) (new)

Thanks for voting Michael!

Just wanted to remind everyone that today is the last day to vote.

I'll announce January's selection tomorrow.

message 34: by Kimley (last edited Aug 25, 2016 02:17PM) (new)

And the winner is....

The Conformist - Alberto Moravia Book/Bertolucci film

For those curious, The Conformist got 13 points and was on the most people's list as well. Second place with 9 points was Atonement and 3rd place was a tie between The Leopard and Lolita both with 8 points.

I'll put all the other entries back on the list for February's vote and everyone should continue to make suggestions as you think of things or new films come out.

Surprisingly few people voted - only 16 out of over 100 people on this list. Not sure why but hope many of you will join us in the chats.

And remember, if the monthly readings don't interest you, please don't hesitate to start a topic on your own. Have fun!