The Elizabeth Peters Fan Club discussion

New Book

Comments Showing 1-30 of 30 (30 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Tricia (new)

Tricia Sagers Has anyone seen anything on a new book?

message 2: by Emilie[-MLE-] (new)

Emilie[-MLE-] | 29 comments She's going to write a few new Amelia books. that was hinted about at the end of the last Vicky Bliss book. no details yet, though.

message 3: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer | 5 comments Signed on for at least 2 more Peabody books....

message 4: by Mary Todd (new)

Mary Todd (marytodd) | 24 comments Just adore them and Barbara Rosenblatt reads them SO well...

message 5: by Emilie[-MLE-] (new)

Emilie[-MLE-] | 29 comments has anyone read any Jacqueline Kirby books?

message 6: by Susie (new)

Susie John (susiejohn32310) | 14 comments She will be 82 in September and I often find that the first word in my prayers is for Elizabeth Peters to finish the Amelia Peabody stories. How obsessed is that?

message 7: by Mary Todd (new)

Mary Todd (marytodd) | 24 comments not obsessed at all...I want her to live forever...that's a little worse

message 8: by Bridgit (new)

Bridgit | 3 comments I have read all of Elizabeth Peter's books. I would definitely say that the Jacqueline Kirby series is her third best (i dont want to say worst) series. Amelia Peabody, then Vicki Bliss, then JK. They are very enjoyable, but i find the other two more fun.

message 9: by Roseann (new)

Roseann (roseannmvp) | 7 comments Amelia Peabody is the best...witty, intellectual, loving, fun, but tough and no-nonsense! My type of gal!

message 10: by Emilie[-MLE-] (new)

Emilie[-MLE-] | 29 comments they're all great, but I feel like Vicky is easier to relate to than Amelia.

As far as independent books go, I absolutely loved A Camelot Caper.

message 11: by Roseann (new)

Roseann (roseannmvp) | 7 comments True....I am a huge Egyptology fan so the books set in Egypt are more enjoyable. I just hope Ms. Mertz writes a few more!

message 12: by Mary Todd (new)

Mary Todd (marytodd) | 24 comments Having grown children, I relate to Amelia...just adore her and try to emulate her in all ways...can't do the whiskey tho and people look at me funny when I wear a tool belt.

message 13: by Susie (new)

Susie John (susiejohn32310) | 14 comments Mary Todd wrote: "Having grown children, I relate to Amelia...just adore her and try to emulate her in all ways...can't do the whiskey tho and people look at me funny when I wear a tool belt."

GOOD ONE!! LOL!!

message 14: by Emilie[-MLE-] (new)

Emilie[-MLE-] | 29 comments I found a jacket at the store a couple weeks ago that looked exactly like what I pictured Amelia's working coat to look like. Needless to say, I bought it and wore it to school the next day.

message 15: by Kathy (new)

Kathy | 17 comments Who wrote a Camelot Caper?

message 16: by Mary Todd (new)

Mary Todd (marytodd) | 24 comments Emilie wrote: "I found a jacket at the store a couple weeks ago that looked exactly like what I pictured Amelia's working coat to look like. Needless to say, I bought it and wore it to school the next day."

You lucky dog!!!

message 17: by Emilie[-MLE-] (new)

Emilie[-MLE-] | 29 comments Kathy: Elizabeth Peters, naturally.

Mary Todd: thanks! all of my friends kept calling it my 'safari jacket'. I kept correcting them, but I don't think any of them got the point.

message 18: by Mary Todd (new)

Mary Todd (marytodd) | 24 comments I just finished The Laughter of Dead Kings!!! I adore it! She is the BEST.

message 19: by Bridgit (new)

Bridgit | 3 comments I read The Laughter of Dead Kings a few weeks ago and was quite disappointed. The Vicky Bliss series has been my favorite series of all time, so I was eagerly anticipating the wrap up. It felt thrown together to me. Like it was written to appease people that demanded a conclusion, but done grudgingly. Vicky was whiny throughout and didnt really offer much to the story, aside from perhaps choosing the right room service order. The book revolved around Schmidt - who, as much as I love him - should be a supporting character, not the MAIN protaganist.

Did anyone else feel this way? Or am I alone on this?

message 20: by Emilie[-MLE-] (new)

Emilie[-MLE-] | 29 comments I agree that Vicky wasn't quite her snappy self. A lot of characters in lots of book series seem to loose some of their defining characteristics as the series progresses. I read a series once where the main character started out strong-willed, cocky, and a total tomboy. By the last book, she was more worried about her hair and impressing "that guy" than anything else.

message 21: by Mary Todd (new)

Mary Todd (marytodd) | 24 comments At the risk of being considered gouche...the woman IS 82 and anything she gives us we should be thankful for! Maybe she finds Schmidt 'cute' and identifies more with him than Vicky at this point.

message 22: by Emilie[-MLE-] (new)

Emilie[-MLE-] | 29 comments That is a good point. It's amazing that Ms.Peters is still producing so many books at her age. I have noticed a few books in the Amelia series that are inconsistent; in Serpent on the Crown "Charla" is spelled "Carla" through the whole book. three or four books also describe Emerson's hair as something other than black.

My mom is an editor so things like that just stand out to me. I still think Ms.Peters is a literary genius, though. ;)

message 23: by Emilie[-MLE-] (new)

Emilie[-MLE-] | 29 comments Yes! And another Amelia comes out in the next few months! It's called A River In the Sky!

message 24: by Stacie (new)

Stacie  M. Ritchie (queenstacela) | 1 comments Have any of read her Barbara Michaels stuff? Great stuff all! I even have her non-fiction Barbara Mertz books. Yes I am obsessed and will be buying the new book when it comes out.

BTW I can't believe she wrote herself into Laughter of the Dead Kings and tied both series together. I listened to it before reading it, and was laughing in my cubicle at work when it ended!

message 25: by Emilie[-MLE-] (new)

Emilie[-MLE-] | 29 comments @Alicon- A River in the Sky will be set chronologically between Falcon at the Portal and He Shall Thunder in the Sky. I haven't heard anything else about it plot-wise.

message 26: by Emilie[-MLE-] (new)

Emilie[-MLE-] | 29 comments No problem! I've heard rumors that the book will contain another Ramses & David spying mission.

Just out of curiosity-Alicon, how do you pronounce your name?

message 27: by Ashley (new)

Ashley (bamabluestocking) | 3 comments I just finished the new Amelia Peabody, and it was great as usual. It wasn't quite as good as some of the others, but it was fabulous nonetheless!

message 28: by Emilie[-MLE-] (new)

Emilie[-MLE-] | 29 comments I'm sorry, I seem to have had some misinformation--River in the sky is set BEFORE falcon. I enjoyed it, though it was a little slow at times and I wanted more Ramses/Nefret moments.

message 29: by Carolyn (new)

Carolyn | 2 comments I was so excited to see a new Amelia Peabody adventure pop up in Audibles. Love Barbara Rosenblat's characterizations but am holding off listening to it because I'm reluctant to finish off the last one. The technique of fitting adventures in between previous ones is genius. I'll revisit the series and definitely get the Vicky Bliss series.

message 30: by Emilie[-MLE-] (new)

Emilie[-MLE-] | 29 comments I think in Laughter of Dead Kings Ms. Peters said that she would be writing three more books, but I may be mistaken