sistv bookworms discussion

Jamie's Book Goals!

Comments Showing 1-27 of 27 (27 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jamie (new)

Jamie | 36 comments I want to read 26 books this year, half have to be non-school and I'd love for them to include the Sookie Stackhouse series.

Currently I'm halfway through 'Dead Until Dark' and then on 120 of the book 'The Meaning of Night' by Michael Cox.

message 2: by Renae (new)

Renae (renaeclark) | 58 comments Hi Jamie. I've read all of the Sookie Stackhouse books and they are addicting! Can't wait for #9 in June. Renae

message 3: by Jamie (new)

Jamie | 36 comments 1/26

Finished 'Dead Until Dark'!

I enjoyed the book but towards the last 50 pages or so there were a few 'details' that made me roll my eyes, they went a little too far. Despite the few lame bits I plan on picking up the rest of the series because I just can't let it go knowing there is more of this story to be had.

message 4: by Kelly (new)

Kelly (kelly_l) Yanno what Jamie? I've started so many people on the Sookie books. I find them light and funny and just fun to read. Some of it's lame, sure, but if you read it for just the fun of it, I think you'll like them too. I'm trying to replace my paperpack Sookie's with hardbound because I was to keep them forever! I hope you get as much plesaure out of them as I did.

message 5: by Jamie (last edited Jan 05, 2009 12:10PM) (new)

Jamie | 36 comments OMG, you posted just what I came on to ask! First though, I really do like the series, I loved Twilight and I had the same comments about the fourth book too (*slight spoiler* the name...) but I'm addicted nevertheless. Second, my question. I have trouble reading those small paper backs because of the paper color and the small font and was able to buy the first one in hardcover and the second is being re-released tomorrow in hardcover, but where can I buy the third? I am searching half.com AND ebay AND paperbackswap and nothing. I am also slightly obsessive compulsive and want all my books to be nice and lovely, especially when it's a series that I'm devoting so much time to.

message 6: by Kelly (new)

Kelly (kelly_l) I think we have to wait for the third like with the second. I've been searching Amazon myself. I'll tell ya what? Whoever finds it first, we'll tell the other okay? I think from the 4th book on, they are all available in hardcover, but it's No. 2 and 3 that are the tough ones. And now #2 is out, so we gotta wait for #3.

message 7: by Renae (new)

Renae (renaeclark) | 58 comments Oh yes, I do not like having part softcover and part hardcover in a series!

My husband read the entire series as well. He loved it. I just gave the books to a co-worker today too. They're just fun entertaining books! Renae

message 8: by Kelly (new)

Kelly (kelly_l) I have #8 sitting on my shelf and I'm waiting...pushing myself to wait until I really need a good, fun read. And it's in hardcover. :)

message 9: by Allison (new)

Allison you all have convinced me...
i'll have to try and pick one up at the library

message 10: by Kelly (new)

Kelly (kelly_l) Allison wrote: "you all have convinced me...
i'll have to try and pick one up at the library"

LOL Yeah Allison!!!! I'm telling ya..it's just a fun, easy read and I laughed out loud in a few parts een. Enjoy it!

message 11: by Jamie (new)

Jamie | 36 comments 2/26

Finished 'Living Dead in Dallas'!
I'm so hooked on this series which is going to be a problem because I need to start my school reading instead! SO...I'm off to read Robinson Crusoe instead of more Sookie... :(

message 12: by Rachel (new)

Rachel | 20 comments Living Dead in Dallas was my least favorite of the series, so if you loved this one, I think you'll really love the rest of them! Dead to the World and Definitely Dead were my faves.
I'm sure Robinson Crusoe is good too though...not as sexy as Bill or Eric maybe, but still enjoyable! ;)

message 13: by Jamie (new)

Jamie | 36 comments Ok, I lied, well unintentionally...I have Dead to the World sitting here and frankly I didn't want to rummage all the way in my bag to get out Robinson, so...well I started reading Dead to the World, already on page 50 and loving it

message 14: by Jamie (new)

Jamie | 36 comments 3/26

Finished 'Dead to the World'
I don't want to spoil this for those who haven't read it and plan too, so I'll give my quick opinion and then you can scroll a bit for the spoiler opinions. It was the same pattern of Sookie getting in the middle of chaos, but as readers we learn more and more about their 'little world' and that was what was so addictive. I just wish the ending would tease us a bit for the following books, but regardless I am dying to read #5

spoiler*
I wanted Eric to remember! Or at least for her to tell him! I actually really like them together. It's funny because a week ago I accidentally read a spoiler that said something like 'Bill or Eric' and I was all 'eww, I hate Eric!' and now I like him better than Bill. Also, what exactly was the deal with the were's with a lowercase w? I don't really get it, are they shifters or weres? Oh and what is the count of supes thus far? Vamps, weres, shifters, witches, Wiccans and then mind-readers like Sookie (if you count that).

message 15: by Kelly (new)

Kelly (kelly_l) This is hard cuz I want to answer but I can't without spilling all the rest of the books so...I gotta just say...KEEP READING!!!

:)

message 16: by Jamie (new)

Jamie | 36 comments I cant! I don't have the rest of the books (I'm 90 something in line on paperbackswap.com) AND I start school Monday and really should start reading those books! AHH! I want me some more supes.

message 17: by Rachel (new)

Rachel | 20 comments I just wish the ending would tease us a bit for the following books, but regardless I am dying to read #5

Yeah, I really don't think that reading them in order is necessary, but I did anyway.

Oh and what is the count of supes thus far? Vamps, weres, shifters, witches, Wiccans and then mind-readers like Sookie (if you count that).

The real question is, how many different types of supes are there? This is such a fun series to read and don't you just love Bubba?

message 18: by Renae (new)

Renae (renaeclark) | 58 comments Rachel, Book #5 is my favorite!! You're going to love it. You just want to take Bubba home with you right (as long as you don't have a cat)? I'm anxiously awaiting book #9 . . . . I need to stop thinking about it!

message 19: by Renae (new)

Renae (renaeclark) | 58 comments Jamie, I agree with you about disliking Eric early on and then all of a sudden he's my favorite . . . kudos to Charlaine Harris!

message 20: by Rachel (new)

Rachel | 20 comments I love Eric, he cracks me up.
I LOVE Quinn...sigh!
Bill is somewhat annoying, but for some reason, I really like him too.
I'm really looking forward to book #9.

message 21: by Renae (new)

Renae (renaeclark) | 58 comments In the interest of presenting a spoiler, I had avoided mentioning QUINN, but now that the tiger is out (hehe). . . yes, he is still my favorite. Can we all hope that he comes back? Yeah, I doubt it.

message 22: by Rachel (new)

Rachel | 20 comments Oops! Sorry, I did not mean to spoil anything, but I'm rooting for him too. I'm also rooting for Eric and for Bill!lol!

message 23: by Jamie (new)

Jamie | 36 comments You didn't spoil anything, just made me even more eager!

message 24: by Rachel (new)

Rachel | 20 comments Hey now missy, what happened to Robinson Crusoe? ;)You better get your school reading on.
It's a good thing you're on a long waiting list for the next book in the series. Having to wait just gives you something to look forward to.

message 25: by Kelly (new)

Kelly (kelly_l) Oh you girls are naughty talking about Quinn already!!! Yanno...I have book 8 sitting here and I'm saving it for a moment when I want something I know I'll enjoy. And it's getting close to that moment for me.

But anyway, what I was going to say...I have read 7 into the series and I STILL am rooting on Eric. ::eyebrow waggle::

Did you guy watch Tru Blood on HBO??? That was werid seeing Anna Paquin as Sookie and Bill and THAT Eric didn't work for me.

message 26: by Renae (new)

Renae (renaeclark) | 58 comments I did watch Tru Blood and I enjoyed it; however, they sure chose to go off on tangents about Tara and Sookie's brother. Was it necessary? I'm not sure about Eric . . . I'm looking forward to the 2nd season to see how they transform him. Renae

message 27: by Jamie (new)

Jamie | 36 comments 4/26

Finished 'Salvation on Sand Mountain'
I had to read this book for my Spiritual Autobiography book and it was amazing. The author is a journalist who joined a snake-handling church for the sake of a story and in within no time he was much more than an observer. If you enjoy memoirs or if you're spiritual/religious than this would be a good book for you. It's a short, quick read and it's easy language.