Richard III discussion

More's History

Comments Showing 1-10 of 10 (10 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Ikonopeiston (new)

Ikonopeiston (Ikon) | 385 comments Why did Sir Thomas More leave his History of King Richard the Third unfinished and unpublished?

message 2: by Barb (new)

Barb | 145 comments I believe that Audrey Williamson touches on that in her book 'The Mystery of the Princes: An Investigation' and draws the same conclusion as you; once he began to do his own research he could no longer believe what he had been told growing up.

Have you read Williamson's book? I started but haven't finished.

message 3: by Ikonopeiston (new)

Ikonopeiston (Ikon) | 385 comments No, but I thank you for the suggestion. So any people think that More was a contemporary of Richard and do not realize two facts: he was eight years old at the time Richard died and More was himself brought up in the home of Morton who was a fanatical enemy of the King.

I had always admired More and like to think he set his History aside in disgust when he discovered he had be the victim of propaganda from his mentor.

message 4: by Barb (new)

Barb | 145 comments Vanora Bennett (Portrait of an Unknown Woman) does a nice job with More, very dark and twisty though...
And she offers an alternative explanation for why he wrote critically of Richard III.

message 5: by Ikonopeiston (new)

Ikonopeiston (Ikon) | 385 comments
Let me guess - LOL. Does it have to do with a relative by marriage?

message 6: by Barb (new)

Barb | 145 comments *Fzit*Spzit*Chitz*Pzit*....the sound of the synapses trying to recall!

I can't remember how they were connected...sorry
:0)

message 7: by Ikonopeiston (new)

Ikonopeiston (Ikon) | 385 comments I am thinking of the man standing in the doorway in the Holbein painting, the one labeled "Johanes Heresius". (I am trying to avoid putting spoilers in here.) I thought he was the sort of son-in-law to More.

message 8: by Pat (last edited Jan 04, 2009 09:38AM) (new)

Pat | 39 comments Yes, he married Meg, the adopted daughter of More. He had been her tutor when she was growing up. Look closely at his face....remind you of anyone?

message 9: by Barb (new)

Barb | 145 comments Oh, yes, yes...see how the subtlety went right past me...I was trying to recall how John came to be the tutor for More's children...that is the connection I do not recall...

message 10: by Pat (new)

Pat | 39 comments I'll have to refer to Bennetts' book again, but I think it had something to do with More's and John's mutual friend Erasmus.