Axis Mundi X discussion

Oh oh...

Comments Showing 1-38 of 38 (38 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Cyril (new)

Cyril http://www.starbulletin.com/news/2009...

Yellowstone may erupt soon!

message 2: by Ruth (new)

Ruth Exciting! I hope they clear the park, first.

message 3: by Félix (new)

Félix (habitseven) Don't worry, Ruth. I believe a large portion of western North America will be effectively cleared if (or when) this comes to bear. Exciting! Interesting times!

message 4: by Charissa, That's Ms. Obnoxious Twat to You. (new)

Charissa (dakinigrl) | 3620 comments Mod
holy shit.

message 5: by Debbie (new)

Debbie (Sardonicprincessofcheerfulness) I just knew it! In one way or another, America will eventually destroy the earth......:-)

message 6: by Félix (new)

Félix (habitseven) Yep -- and apparently it ain't the first time ....

message 7: by Charissa, That's Ms. Obnoxious Twat to You. (new)

It's the one thing, short of asteroid impact, that could actually bring about a serious apocalypse in our lifetimes.

message 8: by Félix (last edited Jan 04, 2009 12:18PM) (new)

Félix (habitseven) Talk about a reset. I'm torn between wanting to move away or move closer.

message 9: by Debbie (new)

Debbie (Sardonicprincessofcheerfulness) NZ is a good place to be.......

message 10: by Félix (new)

Félix (habitseven) Maybe you shouldn't advertise, Debbie.

message 11: by Rusty (new)

Rusty (RustyShackleford) #5

Mah, the earth probably has it coming.

message 12: by Charissa, That's Ms. Obnoxious Twat to You. (new)

Everything I have read about the Yellowstone Caldera predicts that it is due to blow sometime in the next 10,000 years. In geologic time that is a blip, but obviously in terms of whether it happens in our lifetimes or not.... it could either impact human civilization.... or not! But I would say that if it happens... all our other troubles will seem pretty goddamn trivial in comparison. Economy schmeconomy. Frikkin new Ice Age. West Coast of US will probably survive the initial devastation.... but none of us would survive the climate change that would follow. Make the current little tiny alterations seem pretty damn petty. Which, when you think about what the earth has already survived... really kind of are.

message 13: by Cyril (new)

Cyril The Pinatubo eruption in 1991 was the 2nd largest land eruption in the 20th century. It caused a 10% decrease in the amount of sunlight reaching the earth and a drop of about 0.5 C in temperatures in the northern hemisphere. It ejected 10 cubic kilometers of material.

The last major eruption of Yellowstone (600,000+ yrs. ago) ejected 1000 cubic kilometers of material. (Thank you Wikipedia)

I think that if government scientists really thought it was going to erupt soon, the average person would not know about it. The government would prepare bunkers and food supplies for government officials and workers, but that would be about it. There would be little that could be done for anyone else.

message 14: by Félix (new)

Félix (habitseven) I believe your last paragraph is true, Cyril.

message 15: by Lori (last edited Jan 04, 2009 06:08PM) (new)

Lori Um, so how would Seattle fare?

Not well, I'm sure. And we've also got Mt. Rainier to worry about. As well as A Big One.

Soooo, why did I move here? Because I didn't know, haheeha.

So many catastrophes and terrorist actions to worry about. The way to handle all this?

message 16: by Félix (new)

Félix (habitseven) "One study predicts that half the U.S. could be covered in ash up to 3 feet deep. Earth could experience a "volcanic winter" with ash in the atmosphere keeping sunlight from reaching Earth's surface for several years."

We would ALL be in a heap of trouble, Lori.

message 17: by Félix (new)

Félix (habitseven) Sufficient.

message 18: by Charissa, That's Ms. Obnoxious Twat to You. (new)

Lori... Seattle is in a very good location. The trade winds would blow the ash to the east and South. Eventually there would be some ash fall on the PNW, but it would be tiny in comparison to the rest of North America. And you are far away from the initial blast zone. Eventually the weather would likely drive everyone south of the Mexican Border. But you'd have time to do that if it came to that. the weather would take a while to really change.

At least that is my understanding of it.

message 19: by Félix (new)

Félix (habitseven) Works for me.

message 20: by Jackie "the Librarian", Cool Star Trek Nerd (new)

Jackie "the Librarian" | 1818 comments Mod
note to self: lay in a few cans of soup, just in case...

message 21: by Félix (new)

Félix (habitseven) And an AR-15 with about 50 boxes of ammo ....

message 22: by Félix (new)

Félix (habitseven) Do the winters get stronger or do we get weaker?

message 23: by Jackie "the Librarian", Cool Star Trek Nerd (new)

Jackie "the Librarian" | 1818 comments Mod
Yeah, it's snowing again, here, and it's screwing up my satellite signal. Time to go knock snow out of the dish...

message 24: by Charissa, That's Ms. Obnoxious Twat to You. (new)

it's our memories that tend to brush the edges off the severity of past winters. past hurts. past mistakes. we look back from some tragedy and say, "surely I have never been so wretched in all my life." however, if we truly remembered every past wretchedness in it's full glory, most of us would never get out of bed in the morning. forgetfulness is the heart of survival.

message 25: by Joe (new)

Joe (Joediver50) | 18 comments Charissa....you are spot on!

message 26: by Félix (new)

Félix (habitseven) every past wretchedness in it's full glory

I like that phrase for some reason. Yes, I've seen winter wretchedness in my day. I'm so glad the full glory has faded.

But the older I get, the lower my threshold for wretchedness.

message 27: by Charissa, That's Ms. Obnoxious Twat to You. (new)

Thanks Joe.

message 28: by Charissa, That's Ms. Obnoxious Twat to You. (new)

that's a shame, Larry. I think I spent the early part of my life so buffeted about by tragedy and misery that now I tend to roll with the punches a bit better. I also tend to steer clear of extra drama as well... so the misery that finds me isn't bracketed by clutter.

message 29: by Johnny (last edited Jan 05, 2009 07:42PM) (new)

Johnny (Jilsao) Char's just so damned quotable...

"so the misery that finds me isn't bracketed by clutter."

Song lyrics if ever I've heard them...;-)

message 30: by Charissa, That's Ms. Obnoxious Twat to You. (new)

lol... thanks Johnny. You have my full permission to turn them into a country western song. ; )

message 31: by Sally (new)

Sally (MrsNolte) Cyril, why were you reading the online Honolulu paper?

message 32: by Johnny (new)

Johnny (Jilsao) Country western? I was thinking of something more original, a new fusion genre... Maybe "GangstaJazz"? You're entirely to eloquent for country...

message 33: by Charissa, That's Ms. Obnoxious Twat to You. (new)

How about Surf Punk? I don't think I could deal with GangstaJazz.

message 34: by Cyril (new)

Cyril Cyril, why were you reading the online Honolulu paper?

got there by accident

message 35: by Joe (new)

Joe (Joediver50) | 18 comments Honolulu by accident....can I ride with you?

Servius  Heiner  | 1980 comments Mod
#14 I think that if government scientists really thought it was going to erupt soon, the average person would not know about it. The government would prepare bunkers and food supplies for government officials and workers, but that would be about it. There would be little that could be done for anyone else.

What would be the point of the bunkers and government officials… even they know they are pointless. I am not arguing that there are not bunkers, I am sure there are. If you maintain company with people who work in large scale contracting and construction you will see the obvious indicators. Where we disagree is in whom will be sent there…

My guess, upon extinction level event people will be kidnapped and deposited there. People that would have the know how to kick start a restart for humanity. Not a gaggle of government pencil pushers! Just what post apocalyptic earth needs the e’ffen DMV HA!

message 37: by Cyril (last edited Jan 09, 2009 04:46PM) (new)

Cyril I think we agree on who SHOULD be sent there, but every government official and bureaucrat thinks he or she is essential for the survival of mankind. Every offical who hears about the "list" is going to make sure he and his family are going to be on it.

Servius  Heiner  | 1980 comments Mod
heh! yes, the guy is brilliant no?