CIRCLE OF FRIENDS discussion

What are you currently reading?

Comments Showing 1-50 of 69 (69 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Patty (new)

Patty (pattyb31) | 29 comments Mod
Drop it here. What are you currently reading at the moment. Are you far enough in to give me an opinion?

message 2: by Patty (new)

Today I am starting Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy by Douglas Adams.
I am currently reading:
Making Senses Out of Scripture: Reading the Bible As the First Christians Did by Mark P. Shea I am reading it more for reference purposes than recreational purposes. I will finish this book today.

Susan (LotusHips) | 4 comments I am currently reading "Fool on the Hill" by Matt Ruff. It's strange and deep and fluffy and weird... it's just a great story

message 4: by Yoon (new)

Yoon (yoonamaniac) | 2 comments I finished A Mercy last night and put my review in. I haven't decided what to read next. The Age of Innocence, maybe...?

message 5: by Notameangirl (new)

Notameangirl | 14 comments I just started J.D. Robb's Salvation in Death. So far its... OK. I'm not all that far into it yet though.

message 6: by Leah (new)

Leah (lulu328) | 2 comments Just finished Mr. Murder by Dean Koontz. Started The Death Dealer by Heather Graham

message 7: by Sarah (new)

Sarah (sarahcb1208) | 3 comments I just finished Renegade by Diana Palmer, and will hopefully be starting Gone With the Wind by Margaret Mitchell :)

message 8: by Leah (new)

Leah (lulu328) | 2 comments Notameangirl wrote: "I just started J.D. Robb's Salvation in Death. So far its... OK. I'm not all that far into it yet though."

I have read all of JD Robb's books, and loved them all, can't wait for a new one to come out. Yes, I already read Salvation in Death. My problem is I buy the hardcovers and then when the paperback comes out I end up getting it also. They make good presents!

message 9: by Soren (new)

Soren (sorenj) | 3 comments Reading The Gold Coast (again) and Making Movies - from script to screen. Up next is The Gate House (sequel to The Gold Coast) :)

message 10: by Angeles (new)

Angeles (angelesw) | 2 comments I'm reading Twilight. And I need to get busy on it. Tween has the other three books and is already more than 3/4 the way through #2 ... I need to catch up so we can read #4 together!

message 11: by Karin (new)

Karin (karinwithani) | 13 comments I just started The Darkest Kiss by Keri Arthur. It's the sixth in her Riley Jenson werewolf series and I love them all!

message 12: by Karin (new)

Karin (karinwithani) | 13 comments Angeles wrote: "I'm reading Twilight. And I need to get busy on it. Tween has the other three books and is already more than 3/4 the way through #2 ... I need to catch up so we can read #4 together!"

You are going to love it! I could not believe how wrapped up I got in that series!

message 13: by Notameangirl (new)

Notameangirl | 14 comments Perpstu wrote: "I just started The Darkest Kiss by Keri Arthur. It's the sixth in her Riley Jenson werewolf series and I love them all!"

Hmmm I may have to look into that series! Mebbe I can convince someone to get me a couple for my Birthday! Heh.

message 14: by Notameangirl (new)

Notameangirl | 14 comments Perpstu wrote: "Angeles wrote: "I'm reading Twilight. And I need to get busy on it. Tween has the other three books and is already more than 3/4 the way through #2 ... I need to catch up so we can read #4 together..."

OMG RIGHT? I really, REALLY hated book 4 though. Meh

message 15: by Karin (new)

Karin (karinwithani) | 13 comments Notameangirl wrote: "Perpstu wrote: "Angeles wrote: "I'm reading Twilight. And I need to get busy on it. Tween has the other three books and is already more than 3/4 the way through #2 ... I need to catch up so we can ..."<

I didn't hate the WHOLE thing....ssshhhhh....lets not ruin it for her! ;)

message 16: by Notameangirl (new)

Notameangirl | 14 comments Perpstu wrote: "Notameangirl wrote: "Perpstu wrote: "Angeles wrote: "I'm reading Twilight. And I need to get busy on it. Tween has the other three books and is already more than 3/4 the way through #2 ... I need t..."

LOL... I wasn't giving any specifics :P Just sayin' it was NOT what I had hoped for heh.

message 17: by Jigme (new)

Jigme Datse (JigmeDatse) | 15 comments I have been reading Anathem by Neal Stephenson since Christmass Day roughly, and I'm really enjoying it. I did put a review in. So you can read that here...

Jigme Datse

message 18: by Karin (new)

Karin (karinwithani) | 13 comments Notameangirl wrote: "Perpstu wrote: "I just started The Darkest Kiss by Keri Arthur. It's the sixth in her Riley Jenson werewolf series and I love them all!"

Hmmm I may have to look into that series! Mebbe I can conv..."

Heh...I happen to know someone who has a birthday coming up! ;)

message 19: by citizen janey (new)

citizen janey (citizenjaney) | 2 comments I've got more books "in progress" than I have sense. Am just starting Mamet's script for "Speed-the-Plow" because after seeing it on stage, I want to take some leisurely time to absorb those amazing words. Also reading Jules Asner's "Whacked" which I'm finding to be very "meh." Plus "1973 Nervous Breakdown" which is research for one of my writing projects. Whew.

message 20: by Patty (new)

My daughter just turned 12 ands so badly to read the twilight books. I am not letting her yet. I feel she is not quiet ready for them. Am I misinformed?

message 21: by Patty (new)

And yes I have a ton of books sitting around various rooms of my house waiting to be read.

message 22: by Jigme (new)

Jigme Datse (JigmeDatse) | 15 comments Topsurf wrote: "My daughter just turned 12 ands so badly to read the twilight books. I am not letting her yet. I feel she is not quiet ready for them. Am I misinformed?"

I wouldn't say that you are misinformed in any way. I guess maybe because I don't have enough information about why you don't think that she would not be quite ready for them. The writing I'm pretty sure she could read. And I'm not really sure about the third/fourth books, but the first two I can't say there is anything in there that I wouldn't let my 12 year old read. Mind you, I don't have any children.

Jigme Datse

message 23: by Patty (new)

Thanks Jigme for your feedback. She has always been an advanced reader, so I know she could handle the writing. I'm pretty sure she will read them all this summer. I will probably shadow her and read along too just for kicks so we can discuss it together.

message 24: by Jigme (new)

Jigme Datse (JigmeDatse) | 15 comments Topsurf wrote: "Thanks Jigme for your feedback. She has always been an advanced reader, so I know she could handle the writing. I'm pretty sure she will read them all this summer. I will probably shadow her and..."

That makes a lot of sense to me. It's not really that challenging in some respects, but the movie really over sexes thing. Wasn't impressed with Twilight the movie...

Jigme Datse

message 25: by Notameangirl (new)

Notameangirl | 14 comments Jigme:

I haven't seen the movie. I was SO excited about the prospect of it but then... I chickened out because I loved the book so much. Figured there was NO WAY it could live up to it.

message 26: by Patty (new)

Notameangirl I have NEVER seen a movie that does a book justice....NEVER. To me a book is like a movie theatre for your mind.

message 27: by Notameangirl (new)

Notameangirl | 14 comments Topsurf wrote: "Notameangirl I have NEVER seen a movie that does a book justice....NEVER. To me a book is like a movie theatre for your mind."

OMG EXACTLY! I swear to you, when I read a book I don't actually READ it. It plays through my head like a movie. I SEE it all... not the words... the reality of it.

message 28: by Karen (new)

Karen Wiley (wileykat) | 2 comments Topsurf wrote: "My daughter just turned 12 ands so badly to read the twilight books. I am not letting her yet. I feel she is not quiet ready for them. Am I misinformed?"

The writing is certainly easy enough to read. I thought the first book conveyed a bit of sexual tension, even as an adult! Nonetheless I let my 12 year old daughters read it. One of them put it down, completely uninterested. The other devoured it. And then we talked about them! That was fun to compare the book to the movie (by the way NAMG-don't bother with the movie!),but also the other books in the series.

message 29: by Jigme (new)

Jigme Datse (JigmeDatse) | 15 comments Notameangirl wrote: "Topsurf wrote: "Notameangirl I have NEVER seen a movie that does a book justice....NEVER. To me a book is like a movie theatre for your mind."

OMG EXACTLY! I swear to you, when I read a book I d..."

I know that if I've read a book relatively recently, I have images in my mind a clear picture of what is going on. There is a lot of visualization. The thing is, I don't really notice it until I see someone else's wrong images. If it's well enough written you should really pretty much have more or less the same picture in your mind. That drove me crazy about some of the stuff in the movie. I can't really believe that my picture was *that* far off of what was written.

Jigme Datse

message 30: by Notameangirl (new)

Notameangirl | 14 comments Jigme wrote: "Notameangirl wrote: "Topsurf wrote: "Notameangirl I have NEVER seen a movie that does a book justice....NEVER. To me a book is like a movie theatre for your mind."

OMG EXACTLY! I swear to you, w..."

It probably wasn't. Movies tend to rewrite the books... which is what I HATE.

message 31: by Jigme (new)

Jigme Datse (JigmeDatse) | 15 comments Notameangirl wrote: "It probably wasn't. Movies tend to rewrite the books... which is what I HATE.
"

You're probably right there. I know they have in cases I've checked things about. Almost (if not all) every time I've checked my memory was correct. I much prefer books for the most part. But it doesn't take as long to watch a movie.

Jigme Datse

message 32: by Karin (new)

Karin (karinwithani) | 13 comments Topsurf wrote: "My daughter just turned 12 ands so badly to read the twilight books. I am not letting her yet. I feel she is not quiet ready for them. Am I misinformed?"

I think she's old enough. They were written by a Momron soccer mom and any adult themes are VERY tame. They were written for her age group and I know several girls between 12-24 who have read them and LOVED them.

I read Danielle Steele when I was 12, Stephanie Meyer should have been around then! Oy vey...

message 33: by Soren (new)

Soren (sorenj) | 3 comments Topsurf wrote: "Notameangirl I have NEVER seen a movie that does a book justice....NEVER. To me a book is like a movie theatre for your mind."

In general, I completely agree, although there are a few that do a pretty good job... The Princess Bride comes quickly to mind.

message 34: by Megan (new)

Megan (poseysessions) I am on page 100 in Neal Shusterman's Unwind. I am halfway through To Kill a Mockingbird. When I am sitting in front of the computer I read Dune.

message 35: by Laura (new)

Laura (pritcharddesign) | 7 comments I just started Choke last night. I'm not very far yet, but it's interesting to compare to the movie, which I saw in December.

message 36: by Beth (new)

Beth Allen (saintseester) I've been trying to read a book called Tailchaser's song, but I keep getting sidetracked!!! I haven't had much time to read over the past few weeks. I need to fix that.

message 37: by Notameangirl (new)

Notameangirl | 14 comments I'm currently reading "Your Heart Beongs to Me" by Dean Koontz. I can't decide if I like it or not and I'm halfway through... not a really good sigh with me.

message 38: by Rob (new)

Rob (digitalrob) | 2 comments I just finished the first "100 Bullets" graphic novel. It's gritty, not your superhero stuff. I enjoyed it; however, for anyone not "into" comics, I'd suggest Neil Gaiman's Sandman series. His 10 books are real literature.

message 39: by Karin (new)

Karin (karinwithani) | 13 comments Saintseester wrote: "I've been trying to read a book called Tailchaser's song, but I keep getting sidetracked!!! I haven't had much time to read over the past few weeks. I need to fix that."

I loved that book! I read it a dozen times when I was about 10. It's sooooo good! Let me know what you think when you finish.

message 40: by Notameangirl (new)

Notameangirl | 14 comments I just finished Salvation in Death by J. D. Robb. It was a pretty good read. I wasn't too sure of it until about 1/3 of the way through or 1/2 (Whenever the 2nd murder occurs.) which is weird for me. I usually am TOTALLY into this series from the very start of each book. It wasn't her best but it was enjoyable.

message 41: by Karin (new)

Karin (karinwithani) | 13 comments Nobody has started a new book in 14 days!?! I don't buy that for a minute! I just started Heat Lightning by John Sandford. I'm on a mystery/thriller kick right now!

message 42: by Notameangirl (new)

Notameangirl | 14 comments I'm currently reading something by Nora Roberts ... but for the LIFE of my I can't remember the name of it. Darkest Death or... something.

message 43: by Beth (new)

Beth Allen (saintseester) I've been playing with my camera, so I am reading photography books. LOL! I just bought Anansi Boys by Neil Gaiman, and I hope to crack it open this weekend.

message 44: by Tonianne (new)

Tonianne Sprezzatura (Sprezzatura) | 1 comments I've not been able to put down "Everything Bad is Good For You," by Steven Johnson - a defense of pop culture and how the "lower arts" actually contribute to one's ability to reason.

message 45: by Jigme (new)

Jigme Datse (JigmeDatse) | 15 comments I have started reading (just in the last week) Inside Lightwave 3D v9, and Quick Start Guide to Flash CS3. Or something like that. So far I can't say they are particularly gripping, but that's OK, what do you expect from school books?

Jigme Datse

message 46: by Beth (new)

Beth Allen (saintseester) I started reading The Brief History of the Dead for book club the other day, and OMG, I can't put it down. But, I have to, because I must get some sleep.

message 47: by Laura (new)

Laura (pritcharddesign) | 7 comments that sounds interesting Saintseester!

message 48: by Beth (new)

Beth Allen (saintseester) Laura, I didn't know what to expect. I had not read or heard anything about it before my friend announced it as her pick. Will let everyone know what I think when I am finished with it. Which could be sometime in the middle of the night, LOL!

message 49: by Laura (new)

Laura (pritcharddesign) | 7 comments Ha! Enjoy!

message 50: by Jigme (new)

Jigme Datse (JigmeDatse) | 15 comments I've been reading _Staying Alive: Real Poems for Unreal Times_ I'm sort of working through the poems from beginning to end. But there are some really good poems that I've read multiple times now...

Jigme Datse

« previous 1