Street Lit Corner discussion

Introduce yourself - what do you like to read?

Comments Showing 1-9 of 9 (9 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Sioux (new)

Sioux | 1 comments After many false starts/searches i finally found this group.
I come from Australia and enjoy fiction/true life books about drugs, prison, street life, dysfunctional families, prostitution and gritty crime.
One of my fave books is 'Shantaram' by Gregory David Roberts - a huge book at 936 pages but soooo worth it.
This novel is about the life of the author.
AThe author escapes from a Melbourne prison in 1980.
His journey takes him to New Zealand, Asia, Africa and Europe but most of the story takes place in Bombay.
His occupations during this time include - counterfeiter, drug/arms runner, street soldier for the Indian Mafia and he also opens free med clinic (of sorts) in the slums.
A mesmerizing tale - there is some discussion of whether this is a factual or fictional account.
Of no matter it is just a rip roaring adventure.

message 2: by Ruby (last edited Feb 18, 2009 08:03PM) (new)

Ruby (msrulo81) | 1 comments Hello to everyone! My name is Ruby and I am newly advent reader. I only started reading for the pure fun and enjoyment of reading about three years ago.

I was oh so happy that I accidentally came across this website. I'm in love with it, I've been looking for a discussion board to discuss books and get recommendations from others.

My favorite author is Eric Jerome Dickey. And I tend to be more drawn to books that are written in the first person-tense, from the protagonist's point-of-view.

Some of genres I like our; is of coarse Romance, Erotica, and Urban/Street fiction.

message 3: by Richelle (new)

Richelle Robinson (sseashell1243) | 99 comments Mod
Welcome Ruby!

message 4: by Ebony (new)

Ebony | 5 comments Hello Everyone, I'm Eb...I love to read... Mainly Urban Fiction, Autobiographies, and computer program books. I read, on average, 2 books a week (that's about 8 books a month). I have a bookclub and belong to a few groups like this.

I'm happy to join this group and hope to have some very good discussions with you'all.

message 5: by Richelle (new)

Welcome Ebony!

message 6: by Dm (new)

Dm | 24 comments hello...I'm dinah and I'm new to goodreads and i like to read books written by african amercican authors... hope to talk about books and gets some reccomendation on so good reads i may read about 5 books a month.

message 7: by Richelle (new)

Welcome Dinah!

message 8: by Jeanni (last edited Apr 02, 2009 02:09AM) (new)

Jeanni | 17 comments I 'd TO WELCOME YOU TO THE GROUP. RUBY, EBONY AND DINAH, I HOPE YOU LADIES ENJOY YOURSELVES HERE

JEANNI { LADY J ]

message 9: by Roy (new)

Roy (mplwdscribe) | 1 comments Hello all. My name is Roy and my debut novel Patches of Grey does not fall neatly into the category of "street fiction", but its subject matter is in the same ballpark so fans of the genre who sometimes venture into other literary territory will find it to be an enjoyable read. Here's a link that will take you to the first chapter so you can judge for yourselves -

http://www.freebookexcerpts.com/2009/...

I just found a defintion of the genre at StreetLit.org which struck me as being right on the money, so I'm posting it below.

What is a street lit novel? The telltale signs usually include a shut-your-mouth title, straightforward sentences, vast amounts of drugs, sex and rap music and varying degrees of crime and punishment. An exemplary tale is a mixture of foul language, flying bullets, fast cars, a flood of drugs, fallen angels and high-priced frippery. It venerates grams over grammar, sin over syntax, excess over success.

Patches of Grey
Patches of Grey by Roy L. Pickering Jr.