Terminalcoffee discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Feeling Nostalgic? The archives > Personal essay favorite?

Comments Showing 1-11 of 11 (11 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by [deleted user] (new)

My friend is a great storyteller and has had CRAZY stories in his day! He wants to start writing and I'm going to help him. I like David Sedaris, but his stories are more crime-based. Do you have any personal favorites?

I like:
Sedaris
David Rakoff (sorta)
Sarah Vowell (not his style)
Steve Almond
Lauren Weedman

I come from the school of thought that writers need to read before they write. Right?

message 2: by Dave (new)

Dave Russell For a second I thought you were trying to ask what our personal favorite essays were. But you mean favorite in the genre of personal essay, right? For me, James Thurber. I don't read many contemporary essayists. I guess that doesn't help.

message 3: by Sarah (new)

Sarah (songgirl7) I've only read Holidays on Ice by Sedaris and I hated it.

message 4: by Sally, la reina (new)

Sally (mrsnolte) | 17322 comments Mod
What about Augusten Burroughs?

message 5: by [deleted user] (new)

He has read that. I hated "Running with Scissors."

Yes, I meant who are your favorite essayists that write personal essays? Not succinct, but at least accurate.

message 6: by RandomAnthony (new)

RandomAnthony | 14536 comments I thought Sedaris's (grammar check!) last book was his best, but I've liked a lot of his material.

I like Chuck Klosterman, too.

What kind of guy is he, Montambo? What does he like? What kind of stories would these be?

message 7: by Jessica (new)

Jessica (jesstrea) Anne Fadiman, 'Ex Libris.'
Excellent.

message 8: by [deleted user] (new)

He's funny. He lived a sorta glamorous, super-model, cocaine life, mixed with periods of rock bottom, domestic abuse with his supermodel boyfriend, and months in a prison that was entirely homosexual. There is lots of humiliation.

message 9: by Jessica (new)

Jessica (jesstrea) oh well then, not exactly Anne Fadiman material...
(should he read Sebastian Horsley's memoir, 'Dandy in the Underworld'?)

message 10: by Kevin (new)

Kevin  (ksprink) | 11469 comments i agree with Montambo. you really have to read alot before you write. to sorta decide what style you want to have. i have several books projects started that i am trying to finish. just haven't found my voice yet. i am starting to post some of my stuff on my "writing" section on my profile deal. feel free to check it out and let me know if you have any opinion. i am going to try to update every week or so. btw - sedaris is funny. so is haven kimmel

message 11: by Danielle (last edited Jan 13, 2009 05:43PM) (new)

Danielle (dreamelis) | 53 comments Bird by Bird, Anne Lamott.

I also Like Phillip Lopate a lot more than most people seem to.

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.