Dreamspinner Press discussion

Carole Cummings
This topic is about Carole Cummings
Meet the Author > Meet Carole Cummings

Comments Showing 1-10 of 10 (10 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Dreamspinner (new)

Dreamspinner Press (dreamspinnerpress) | 2637 comments Mod
Carole Cummings joins us on Saturday from 1-6 pm EST to discuss her Wolfs-own series and more!

message 2: by Carole (new)

Carole Cummings | 14 comments Present and accounted for, fresh from sowing the north forty. (Okay, fresh from putting in a new forsythia bush in my postage stamp yard, but still. I got a sunburn, so it counts.) Anyway, I'm here and will check in throughout the day. *waves*

message 3: by Lady*M (new)

Lady*M | 28 comments Hi, Carole! You know I love Wil, Dallin, Malick, Fen, Garreth and Ailin (I'm still hoping you'll do more with these guys, because they are so scorching). So, I'm curious - what can we look forward to in the future? ^^

message 4: by Eden (new)

Eden Winters (edenwinters) | 67 comments What was your inspiration for creating the Wolf's Own series? Have you always been an epic fantasy fan? What other genres do you write?

message 5: by Carole (last edited May 26, 2012 10:50AM) (new)

Carole Cummings | 14 comments Lady*M wrote: "Hi, Carole! You know I love Wil, Dallin, Malick, Fen, Garreth and Ailin (I'm still hoping you'll do more with these guys, because they are so scorching). So, I'm curious - what can we look forward ..."

Aw, thanks, and I'm sure they all love you right back. (Well, you never can tell with Fen.)

At the moment, I'm working on what I've been referring to as 'Library-guy' and what I'm starting to think will eventually become 'The Queen's Librarian' or something along those lines (haven't researched the title yet). I started it while in the middle of Wolf's-own because I needed a break from Fen's... issues, but Fen simply wouldn't allow me to take time off and play. And then I took a couple months off after W-o because seriously--Fen just wrung me out. But the librarian one is something light and fun that I've only just picked back up a couple of weeks ago, and it's zipping right along, so Ailin and Garreth had to take a backseat.

I'm hoping to get back to them soon. They were from a novel I lost in a hard drive crash a while back, and it's really just a matter of re-writing their story (or what I remember of it). I'm hoping they're third in line, right after Lucas and Alex and then another story about a Mage and a military general who are trying to shove Lucas and Alex out of the way just now, but Lucas and Alex are holding their ground thus far.

There are also a couple of shorts I've been dying to get to, but there are only so many hours, and a story about parallel universes that I'm hoping won't be any longer than a novella. We'll see what crops up in the meantime. But if I have my way, there will be no more series for... a while anyway. (Of course, I hardly ever have my way, but still. Think 'short'!)

message 6: by Carole (last edited May 26, 2012 11:03AM) (new)

Carole Cummings | 14 comments Eden wrote: "What was your inspiration for creating the Wolf's Own series? Have you always been an epic fantasy fan? What other genres do you write?"

Are you sending this from the mechanic's?! Good lord, woman, do you even take time to breathe once in a while?

The W-o series wasn't supposed to be a series; it was supposed to be a short about a pretty ninja. And then all that other stuff just sort of... happened.

But the inspiration came from watching a documentary about moons. They showed a conceptualized picture of a big, fat silver moon with another red crescent moon behind it. For whatever reason, my mind super-imposed a figure--sporting a long braid and holding long knives--silhouetted by the moon. And then I read something about the Untouchable castes in Asian and Indian cultures, and the figure became Fen the Untouchable.

The rest was NOT my fault! It just happened, I swear!

Yes, I've always been into epic fantasy, so it makes sense that's what I would mostly write. I find fantasy, when done well, is the surest way to find that 'transported' feeling I so enjoy when reading. I like to be taken away and shown a new world and learn all about its inhabitants.

I write just about everything--I've even got a few contemporary shorts I might one day polish and publish--but fantasy is my 'home'. I like the 'what if?' and the lack of contraint.

message 7: by Bluesimplicity (new)

Bluesimplicity | 16 comments Hey Carole.

2 questions, both in the same vein.

The first one - Which is your favourite book that you've written and why, both from a writer's point of view, and then just personally?

And then secondly, which is your favourite character that you've created and why?

Thanks,
Michelle

message 8: by Carole (last edited May 26, 2012 02:41PM) (new)

Carole Cummings | 14 comments Bluesimplicity wrote: "Hey Carole.

2 questions, both in the same vein.

The first one - Which is your favourite book that you've written and why, both from a writer's point of view, and then just personally?

And then s..."

Wow, Michelle, you don't mess around, do you? ;)

Actually, my favorite book is one that's not published (and never will be), which I'd written about... oh god, it's got to be around 20+ yrs ago now. And it's really only my favorite because of the memories attached to it. It was the first time since I was a kid that I'd said 'damn the torpedoes' and just let my imagination fly and made myself not worry if someone else would think I was being silly. It was the first I'd shared my writing with anyone since college. It was the first time I contributed to the writing group I was in at the time. It was the first time someone else cared about my characters enough to offer helpful critique and the first time I felt like I'd communicated well enough to engender feelings for my characters in other people. It was the first time I felt successful.

My favorite among what I've got published... okay, after much thought I've arrived at a tie.

W-o because it turned into something I didn't want it to be, and because I allowed it. It wasn't easy. Book one is told in an unconventional style because it needed to be, there were several very good reasons for doing it that way, and probably a good third of the readers--even those who liked the book as a whole--didn't like that it was told in alternate timelines. I knew that going in, but it was how it had to be told, and I was kind of proud of myself for letting it tell itself that way.

The other one is a tiny little short that DSP put in their Halloween promo. I think it came in just below 1000 words. I chuckled the entire time I was writing it, and really had fun with it. But then, alas, very few appreciated the joke, which was that the poor characters got no sex out of the deal. It was my own fault--I knew that readers would be expecting some sort of intimacy and romance and I deliberately didn't give it to them, so I deserved the popcorn thrown at the screen. (I mean, it was a romance publisher! What was I thinking!) PD Singer ended up giving it a Part Two, in which the characters actually got laid, and people liked it better then. So that's one of my favorites because it's kind of the runt of the litter and I want to pet it. (And it still makes me chuckle.)

Now, for characters... hrm. Well, I guess at the moment, it would have to be Fen. Again, he's not what some readers would like him to be, but he is what he is, and I didn't impose my own will to make him be something different. So I have kind of a soft spot for him. He's the first character I wrote who eventually made it clear to me that's he got actual diagnosable mental illnesses, and yeah, he has his problems, but he keeps going, he never gives up, even when he thinks he does. I have to admire that. Mental illness doesn't just go away, even if we might want to believe it could. It was really hard to watch sometimes, and I don't think he'll ever be what I would think of as sane. But he still makes it through then lifts his chin and dares the universe to throw more at him. I have to admire that.

message 9: by Rebecca (new)

Rebecca (rebecca_cohen) | 90 comments Hi Carole

Just popping in to say hi and good luck with the chat... it's nearly midnight here in Switzerland so I'm nearly ready for bed :)

Rebecca

message 10: by Carole (new)

Carole Cummings | 14 comments Thank you, Rebecca, and thank you to everyone who dropped by. It was fun and I enjoyed it. To all of the US people--have a terrific holiday weekend!

xoxo
Carole